Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    There's a reference to my name on post #162. It regards a sensitive financial matter of a rather personal nature. I do not wish to discuss it here
    and as such contributing to an off topic situation. so I am taking it to the off topic thread.
    Last edited by ER; 12-02-2020 at 06:42 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

CC Grandmaster
    Canon multi-function printers (with built-in scanner) are about $50 brand new, so arranging a few of these shouldn't be a problem. But, based on my experience scanning only a very small 'magazine' with one of them, you would need several people to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time. The scanning is fast enough - it's turning the pages that is time-consuming.

I would definitely recommend a scanner with a document feeder if it's going to be a one person job, although they are much more expensive. An optical character reader would be a definite bonus, as it would make the files searchable. Without it, all you've got are pictures which can't be searched.

CC Candidate Master

Thanks ER

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    This is a good cause, I am more than willing to participate in a fund collection campaign to finance this. Cheers! ER
    Thank you for your generous offer. I would also be prepared to pay something towards a capable scanner
    provided it resides with someone who has access to worthwhile literature and is prepared to put some time into scanning.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Canon multi-function printers (with built-in scanner) are about $50 brand new, so arranging a few of these shouldn't be a problem. But, based on my experience scanning only a very small 'magazine' with one of them, you would need several people to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time. The scanning is fast enough - it's turning the pages that is time-consuming.

I would definitely recommend a scanner with a document feeder if it's going to be a one person job, although they are much more expensive. An optical character reader would be a definite bonus, as it would make the files searchable. Without it, all you've got are pictures which can't be searched.
    I have an ancient scanner and two Canon printers. As you say, it probably would not be difficult to get a team of people together with scanners and laptops if we had something to scan. Perhaps we wait and see if Ian Murray can handle all the scanning associated with Queensland Chess. If he needs any help, perhaps we could arrange a "Jammo scan day".

I would be checking the quality, speed and reliability of something costing just $50.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

You could just use an app on your smart phone, go for one with OCR for the character recognition. Maybe not quite as good as a dedicated scanner, but much quicker to do.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    I would be checking the quality, speed and reliability of something costing just $50.
    The multi-function one I bought has worked fine for about a decade - although I don't do a lot of scanning.

CC Candidate Master
    I connected both of my Canon printers to my old Desktop using Ubuntu 18.04, a free open source operating system with additional software available for downloading.
    I used "Simple Scan" and "gscan2pdf" to operate the two printer scanners simultaneously. The gscan2pdf has optical character recognition so you could scan say twenty
    pages of a magazine then run gscan to produce a searchable pdf.

CC Candidate Master
    Are there any copyright problems with scanning, Australian Chess Magazine, Chess in Australia, Chess World etc magazines?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop View Post
    Are there any copyright problems with scanning, Australian Chess Magazine, Chess in Australia, Chess World etc magazines?
    I imagine that Chess in Australia is still technically under copyright, but since it is no longer being sold, I can't see why anyone would enforce it. There are a lot of magazines on the Internet Archive that can be downloaded even though they would presumably be under copyright.

CC Candidate Master
    Apparently copyright holds until 70 years after the author's death. C J S Purdy died in November 1979.

CC Candidate Master

State Library of Victoria?

There is a possibility that the downloadable Koshnitsky Medallist file, extolling the virtues of
    our past Koshnitsky Medal Winners, could find a more permanent home at the State Library of Victoria as a downloadable electronic document. Not much of our chess history is downloadable at present.

The SLV requires that to accept the Koshnitsky file as an electronic document, all of the many links to other websites in the file need to be expunged. This will require some rewriting. They also require that a title page be written. The title page, they say, should include - title, author, publisher (either yourself or the Australian Chess Federation?), place of publication (eg. the ACF head office location - only needs to be the city/suburb) and a publication date (year).

Hopefully, the ACF will “own” the electronic document and agree to be publisher and author.

The rewriting does present an opportunity for chess players to provide further information and photographs to be included in the document. In particular, more information and photographs need to be found regarding the achievements of:

Ian Laurie, Margaret Cuckson, Don Maciulitis, Gary Wastell, John Maddix, Bill Gletsos, Jenni Oliver, Peter Cassettari and others.

I will provide a link to the amended document on Chess Chat so that any errors, omissions etc can be pointed out prior to sending it to the SLV.

CC Candidate Master

Junior Chess in Brisbane in the 70’s and 80’s

During the 1970’s, an inter secondary schools teams chess competition was running in Brisbane with eighteen teams participating in 1972, according to Mark Stokes, current CAQ President, who played for Saint Patrick's College, Shorncliffe.

There was no inter primary school teams competition running in Brisbane at that time and little, if any, inter school chess activity on the Gold Coast. Wendy Terry had been running the Rookies Chess Club in Wynnum for many years. She also founded the Queensland Women's Chess League and the Queensland Veterans and Disabled Championships. Gail Young, another Koshnitsky Medal winner, has continued Wendy’s work. CAQ’s State Directors of Coaching had conducted some chess coaching in schools while the CAQ ran junior championships.

Paul Chalupa and Magne Forfang initiated a primary schools teams competition in Brisbane probably around 1988. That competition was likely well received so that, on the departure of Magne and later Paul, some parents got together and formed the Queensland Junior Chess League (QJCL ) to maintain and extend the primary schools competition. Connie Pizzato and later Kerry Corker were two of the main figures in the QJCL.

By the mid-1990s, the QJCL was running Brisbane junior and inter school chess. Kerry Corker and some others, had seen the potential of chess coaching especially with primary school students and were successfully engaged in private tutoring. A number of junior chess clubs were formed. It involved a lot of preparation and a lot of travelling but resulted in some notable successes for Queensland Junior Chess teams.

CC Candidate Master

Graeme Gardiner Koshnitsky Medallist 2003.

The above is some of the background to the remarkable achievements of Graeme and Wendy Gardiner who transformed chess coaching and inter school teams chess events in the state while enriching the chess calendar for all. They succeeded in what seemed to us to be a very difficult task at the time, putting chess organisation on a business footing.

Graeme was a Development Officer at Somerset College, Mudgeeraba. Initially he formed a chess club at the school then he established an inter-school chess competition on the Gold Coast involving six schools. In 1993, Graeme and local chess players formed the Gold Coast Chess Club. Soon the first Gold Coast Open was held. According to Graeme, “Early organisers of the first Gold Coast Open which was held in the library at Somerset College included Jeff and Elizabeth Carmichael, as well as Bruce Harris and David Esmonde." Australia’s first Grand master, Ian Rogers was invited to play and to coach the juniors.

In 1994, helped by members of the Gold Coast Chess Club, Graeme ran the Australian Junior Championships at Somerset College. The following year, players from the QJCL, Wendy Terry’s junior club and Somerset College competed in the Australian Juniors in Canberra. In 1997, Graeme, following a suggestion by Ralph Kajet, organised the inaugural Australian Schools Teams Finals weekend which took place at Sydney Grammar School in 1998. Prior to this, some states had held their own school’s teams championships but no national event was held.

Initially, the tournament had two divisions – Primary and Secondary Open teams from each state. In 1999, in order to encourage girls in chess and to allow single sex girls’ schools to compete, two further divisions were added – Primary Girls and Secondary Girls. Each state is divided into regions. Regional competitions are held to determine the champion schools for the region. The regional winners in the four divisions then meet in state finals and the state final winners compete at the national finals. In Queensland in 2019 for example, there around twelve zones based in regional Queensland with another nine located in Northern NSW and South East Queensland (Brisbane and Gold Coast). The Queensland Inter-School Chess Championships are coordinated by Gardiner Chess on behalf of the Chess Association of Queensland (CAQ) under a licensing agreement running from 2018 to 2022.

Graeme was elected President of the Australian Chess Federation (ACF) and held that position from 1999 – 2003. As Oceania Zone President, Graeme organised three zone tournaments. The inaugural Oceania Chess Championship conducted on the Gold Coast in 1999 was won by Vladimir Feldman. In May 2000, an additional Oceania Zonal Chess Championship was held and won by Alex Wohl. In that year, the ACF had to contend with a legal stoush concerning a dispute over player selection for the Australian Chess Olympiad team. Later Graeme acted as Oceania's official delegate at the 2000 Chess Olympiad in Istanbul. In 2001, Mikhail Gluzman and Mark Chapman shared first place in the Oceania Zonal with a score of 7/9, but the former won a rapid chess play-off match and the title.

In 2001 Graeme and wife Wendy, who worked at the University of Queensland in Parasitology and later in Tropical Health, decided to launch into uncharted waters by starting up a chess business. Graeme resigned his position at Somerset College while maintaining a close relationship with the college in matters of chess.

They planned a chess program and built a Chess Centre in scenic bush land at Mudgeeraba on the Gold Coast. The Centre contained coaching areas, a chess book and equipment shop, a cafe, internet facilities, a library, a spacious tournament hall equipped with monitors and technology for broadcasting live games online and an office from which a large chess in schools programs, devised by Graeme, was run. The centre opened for business in early 2003.

Meanwhile, Ian Murray had moved from Rockhampton to Brisbane in 1995 and began expanding the junior chess network into regional Queensland, under the CAQ banner.

“I ran tournaments a couple of times a year in Bundaberg, Gladstone, Rocky, Mackay, Townsville and Cairns. In the early 2000’s the program was merged with the Gardiner Chess program on the Gold Coast, and Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Mt Isa, Longreach, Charleville and Roma were included to make it a statewide venture. Regional winners qualified for the state finals, deciding the teams to represent Queensland in the national championships.”

Gardiner Chess found itself growing, with CAQ assistance, a state wide network of primary and secondary school chess competitions, both teams events and junior championships. They also ran many open chess tournaments. The Gold Coast Open has over the past twenty-eight years, established itself as Queensland’s most prestigious chess tournament. Grandmaster Ian Rogers, won the Premier event on eight occasions and, on retirement as a player, he has conducted games commentaries and junior coaching classes as part of the tournament program. Recently Premier, Major and Minor division have been introduced to allow participation by all levels of players.

Graeme and Wendy ran the chess centre and their ‘chess in schools’ business from the chess centre until the sale of the Chess Centre in 2011. From 2011 to 2015, they ran the business successfully from an office in Mudgeeraba. The business was sold at the end of 2015 to two senior staff members, Andrew Fitzpatrick and Justine Jule. They now provide quality coaching to approximately 100 schools in South-East Queensland. There are around 3,000 kids from all over Queensland and Northern NSW that play in these inter school competitions each term. They have successfully expanded the business and run major tournaments to become an essential part of the Queensland and Australian Chess scene.

Graeme Gardiner, now retired, has recently completed his Masters Research degree at the University of Southern Queensland in the field of chess and education. Graeme presented papers at the Chess in Schools conference in Aberdeen in 2017, and the London Chess Conference in 2018.

He keeps fit by cycling and does some paid and some voluntary work at Somerset College.
    Last edited by blackbishop; 13-05-2020 at 11:21 AM.

CC Candidate Master
    Graeme and Wendy are pioneers of chess in Queensland and Australia. I had the pleasure of growing up playing in Gardiner Chess events and being fortunate enough to be a part of Gardiner Chess coaching and inter-school chess tournaments. The positive impact it left on my lift is evident and I now work full time as a chess coach and tournament organiser/arbiter.

People like Graeme and Wendy have had impacts on thousands of children many more than I think they realise and has provided opportunity for chess to be a part of life in many schools throughout Queensland.

Thread Information