Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    There's a reference to my name on post #162. It regards a sensitive financial matter of a rather personal nature. I do not wish to discuss it here
    and as such contributing to an off topic situation. so I am taking it to the off topic thread.
    Last edited by ER; 12-02-2020 at 06:42 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

CC Grandmaster
    Canon multi-function printers (with built-in scanner) are about $50 brand new, so arranging a few of these shouldn't be a problem. But, based on my experience scanning only a very small 'magazine' with one of them, you would need several people to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time. The scanning is fast enough - it's turning the pages that is time-consuming.

I would definitely recommend a scanner with a document feeder if it's going to be a one person job, although they are much more expensive. An optical character reader would be a definite bonus, as it would make the files searchable. Without it, all you've got are pictures which can't be searched.

CC Candidate Master

Thanks ER

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    This is a good cause, I am more than willing to participate in a fund collection campaign to finance this. Cheers! ER
    Thank you for your generous offer. I would also be prepared to pay something towards a capable scanner
    provided it resides with someone who has access to worthwhile literature and is prepared to put some time into scanning.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Canon multi-function printers (with built-in scanner) are about $50 brand new, so arranging a few of these shouldn't be a problem. But, based on my experience scanning only a very small 'magazine' with one of them, you would need several people to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time. The scanning is fast enough - it's turning the pages that is time-consuming.

I would definitely recommend a scanner with a document feeder if it's going to be a one person job, although they are much more expensive. An optical character reader would be a definite bonus, as it would make the files searchable. Without it, all you've got are pictures which can't be searched.
    I have an ancient scanner and two Canon printers. As you say, it probably would not be difficult to get a team of people together with scanners and laptops if we had something to scan. Perhaps we wait and see if Ian Murray can handle all the scanning associated with Queensland Chess. If he needs any help, perhaps we could arrange a "Jammo scan day".

I would be checking the quality, speed and reliability of something costing just $50.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

You could just use an app on your smart phone, go for one with OCR for the character recognition. Maybe not quite as good as a dedicated scanner, but much quicker to do.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    I would be checking the quality, speed and reliability of something costing just $50.
    The multi-function one I bought has worked fine for about a decade - although I don't do a lot of scanning.

CC Candidate Master
    I connected both of my Canon printers to my old Desktop using Ubuntu 18.04, a free open source operating system with additional software available for downloading.
    I used "Simple Scan" and "gscan2pdf" to operate the two printer scanners simultaneously. The gscan2pdf has optical character recognition so you could scan say twenty
    pages of a magazine then run gscan to produce a searchable pdf.

CC Candidate Master
    Are there any copyright problems with scanning, Australian Chess Magazine, Chess in Australia, Chess World etc magazines?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop View Post
    Are there any copyright problems with scanning, Australian Chess Magazine, Chess in Australia, Chess World etc magazines?
    I imagine that Chess in Australia is still technically under copyright, but since it is no longer being sold, I can't see why anyone would enforce it. There are a lot of magazines on the Internet Archive that can be downloaded even though they would presumably be under copyright.

CC Candidate Master
    Apparently copyright holds until 70 years after the author's death. C J S Purdy died in November 1979.

Thread Information