Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Queensland chess history (sf Brisbane Chess Club)

A trip down memory lane....

I remember/know all of them apart from Evan Pass, although the name does ring a bell.

cheers Garrett.

Premium Member
    A few corrections to the post on the CAQ Council 85, 86, 87 have been supplied by Gail Young.

The Wendy Terry Memorial Tournament is conducted annually by the QWCL (Qld Women's Chess League) which is the club started by Wendy,
    probably in the 1980's. Gail took over the QWCL after Wendy's death and Redcliffe chess club allow her to run this tournament at their club's venue.
    The QWCL promotes, organizes and pays the bills for the Wendy Terry Memorial Tournament.

Wendy didn't have multiple sclerosis, she had a version of Friedreich's Ataxia which presents with similar symptoms.

If other people can add to or correct the CAQ post, that would be appreciated. I will wait a few days and then repost a corrected version of the original post.
    >

Premium Member
    Thank you for creating a History of Queensland Chess thread. I hope to contribute some non controversial material on past Koshnitsky Medal winners. Does anyone know where I can get some info' on Ian Murray. I wonder if it would be possible to post somewhere, somehow a collection of the Queensland Chess Magazine?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop View Post
    Thank you for creating a History of Queensland Chess thread. I hope to contribute some non controversial material on past Koshnitsky Medal winners. Does anyone know where I can get some info' on Ian Murray.
    Ian is a regular poster here.

I wonder if it would be possible to post somewhere, somehow a collection of the Queensland Chess Magazine?
    If you mean copies of the full magazine content then if someone wanted to scan magazine material and host it on another site they could do so, subject to any necessary copyright approvals from the original authors. However there are file size limits for uploaded material on this forum.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Ian is a regular poster here.

If you mean copies of the full magazine content then if someone wanted to scan magazine material and host it on another site they could do so, subject to any necessary copyright approvals from the original authors. However there are file size limits for uploaded material on this forum.
    Which prompted me to scan the Qld Championships centenary booklet. At 24.5 MB is it postable here?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Which prompted me to scan the Qld Championships centenary booklet. At 24.5 MB is it postable here?
    Best to host it elsewhere and post a link. Each user has a limit of around 2 MB in attachment uploads.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Never mind. It's now available on the cloud, for anyone interested:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l476pmos8w...01995.pdf?dl=0

That's on my personal Dropbox account. Needed is an official Qld History cloud site to store it, and more stuff, permanently.

CC Grandmaster
    That's on my personal Dropbox account. Needed is an official Qld History cloud site to store it, and more stuff, permanently.
    That's a great piece of historical record, and logically should be on the CAQ website. But it doesn't even seem to have the list of Qld Champions and Junior Champions that was on the old site

CC Rookie
    Ian, I have software to compress pdf files, so if you want to email the file or a link to me I'll see what I can do (use paulnearnoosa@gmail.com)

Premium Member

Missing Queensland Champions. Any information?

A Honour Role of Queensland Champions exists although not on the CAQ website. It begins with one A. C Palmer in 1895 and ends with Brodie McClymont for 2019.

Missing are entries for 1996, 2000 and 2002. The 2004 entry was marked as, “Not Awarded”. It appears from an archive of the CAQ I recently blundered across, that a Queensland Open was held in that year and won by David Smerdon.

I have been unable to find anything on the net about the missing champions. I will try to contact David Smerdon and Steven Solomon who were the most likely winners.

In the event that the winners for the missing years cannot be found, I will publish a completed list with the missing entries filled from the following honorary winners:

Althe Restovas. His name was put forward as the winner of the 1997 Koshnitsky Medal.
    Patrick Byrom. He preserved the Honour Role and updated it and so deserves to be on it.
    Blackbishop. He always wanted a Queensland title.
    Chessplayer. Dedicated to those people who maintained the list over 125 years.

Any information regarding the missing entries would be greatly appreciated.

CC Candidate Master
    The 1996 Queensland Championship was won by Andrew Allen, who tied for first place with the ineligible Vietnamese player Dinh Duc Trong.
    David Smerdon won in 2000 following a weird four player event.

Missing are entries for 1996, 2000 and 2002. The 2004 entry was marked as, “Not Awarded”. It appears from an archive of the CAQ I recently blundered across, that a Queensland Open was held in that year and won by David Smerdon.
    I believe that 2002 was the same as 2004 with no QLD Championship being held only a QLD Open wont by Stephen Solomon.

Althe Restovas. His name was put forward as the winner of the 1997 Koshnitsky Medal.
    As mentioned elsewhere the 1997 Koshnitsky Medal was not awarded.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Premium Member

Thank you Ian and Bill

The information that you have so promptly provided will allow us to fully update the Honour Role.

We will post the updated Role on this thread tomorrow. Who knows, the CAQ may add the Role to its website in time.

Thread Information