Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    CC Candidate Master
    The zipfile has been prepared with a licensed version of WinZip (and is 124MB - less than half the image-based original) and all files were compressed with a licensed version of Adobe Acrobat, so I suspect the problem might be with your OS. But your post caused me to have a look again and I have discovered what has caused the problem. I simply hit the download button on the original DropBox package, downloading the 293MB file and that is where the problem is. The separately listed monthly issues are individual links to each file and appear to be complete. The zip file activated by the download button links contains the duplicate files, incorrectly dated files, etc. and misses some files. So over the next few days I will prepare the balance files and replace the overall package.

CC Candidate Master
    Further to the response above:
    - The following additional issues are under preparation: Sep 1987, Sep 1990, Dec 1994, Dec 1996 (to be added to my zip file)
    - The following issues were not included in the original post (either by individual file or in the zip file): Mar 1997 through to Mar 1998, Sep 1998, Jun-Sep 1999, Mar-Dec 2000 and Jun 2001
    You might also note that if you have trouble with the original DropBox listing of "41 'QLD Chess' March 1999.pdff" simply drop the second "f" from the very end of the pathname i.e. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0s28vqe1c...arch++1999.pdf

CC Candidate Master
    The Queensland Chess zipfile that I uploaded to DropBox has been updated with the additional 4 issues referenced in #92 above - giving a total of 46 issues. The missing issues referenced above are still not there, but as I have mentioned I have copies in storage and when I settle I will tackle them (though that could be years away). Anyway, the full set of files that Ian uploaded has been rejigged as described above, but I also failed to mention another major improvement. Ian's scanning produced files of various resolutions, most of which resulted in page sizes larger than A4 (and hence larger files sizes). Queensland Chess had an A5 format (a folded A4), so I have resized all the files to an A5 page. The original link at #88 should give access to the updated zip file, but here is another one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/43v814n6cd...Chess.zip?dl=0

CC FIDE Master
    I can now readily access Ian's files on your Dropbox using my Ubuntu Desktop. Thank you for further reducing the file sizes and cleaning up the presentation.

I am forever being hounded by eager chess players wanting to scan their state's surviving chess magazines and bulletins to capture their state's chess history. Perhaps Paul could provide some information to assist them.
    For example, what would be a good resolution to use. I used 150 dpi. It seems to me that an ordinary computer and printer/scanner produced satisfactory results.
    Last edited by blackbishop; 28-10-2021 at 02:56 PM.

CC FIDE Master

Queensland Chess Editors

Queensland Chess was edited by Ian Murray as a quarterly magazine between March 1987 and December 1996.

In 1997, David McKinnon and Alison Spears, “provided a quality magazine” and this level of effort was continued in 1998 by Kevin Casey with assistance from Ian Murray.

In 1999, Ian Murray and Jacob Edwards produced the magazine. Jacob retired as co-editor with the March 2001 issue.

FROM "QUEENSLAND CHESS MAGAZINE" December 2001

“Queensland Chess Magazine 1987 – 2001

Queensland Chess Magazine was reborn in 1987, when I agreed to a CAQ request to produce a 16 page quarterly magazine (the size was always exceeded, never less than 32 pages). By today's standards the product was primitive but effective, first produced on Commodore 64 computer and dot matrix printer, with lots of cut and paste additions the old fashioned way with scissors and glue. Modern desktop publishing technology allowed publication of a world class magazine in recent years.

New editors (David McKinnon and Alison Spiers, Kevin Casey, Wally Djachenko, Jacob Edwards) came and went, and I finished up back in the chair for the swan song.

As forecast at the beginning of 2001, the magazine has outlived its usefulness - this is the final issue. Spiralling costs and the time and effort required to compose and print each issue sounded the death knell - information can be circulated by the internet and e-mail more efficiently, more timely and at a fraction of the cost.

So, with feelings of regret and relief, I wrap up this last issue ready to print.

Ian Murray
    Editor”

CC FIDE Master
    According to Ian Murray, there was a quality chess magazine produced in Queensland during the 1960s. John Gray's Northern Chess Newsletter would also be a great resource.

CC Candidate Master
    CAQ Records21.0 is now available on the dropbox below.
    Some interesting statistics which will hopefully be compared to those of other states.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ihsxo...3az4foxvxbdwhs
    Last edited by Kerry Corker; 13-11-2021 at 12:41 PM.

Thread Information