Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,977

    2020 FIDE Congress (sf 2020 Olympiad)

    Saw a comment by Alex Holowczak on the English Chess Forum suggesting that the 2020 FIDE Congress might still be in KM, but still early days yet. Especially as the 2019 FIDE Congress, scheduled for late December, still doesn't have an announced venue or dates!

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Saw a comment by Alex Holowczak on the English Chess Forum suggesting that the 2020 FIDE Congress might still be in KM, but still early days yet. Especially as the 2019 FIDE Congress, scheduled for late December, still doesn't have an announced venue or dates!
    Does it happen that you guys (delegates) are also members of team squads? (not necessarily as players)? If yes holding the Congress at KM would be a bit of a disaster.
    The joint is not next door as you know, the distance from Moscow is something like 2000 km, 36 hours drive or 5 hours flight.
    Last edited by ER; 06-11-2019 at 07:46 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

    https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

  3. #3
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,977
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Does it happen that you guys (delegates) are also members of team squads? (not necessarily as players)?
    No (though I do have the tracksuit top from Batumi thanks to Ian and Cathy Rogers!) The role of a Delegate there is all to do with the FIDE Congress. I've usually gone and watched some of the Olympiad but it's often not a great spectator experience - you have to remove more items than in airport security and it's often difficult to closely follow the matches you want to at the venue.

    It varies but in both Baku and Batumi delegates were in different hotels to the players and I didn't see them all that much. In Tromso and Istanbul we were in the same hotel and I saw them more often.

    One nuisance factor if they are in separate cities would be with title claims. A few times I've done a paper chase on the final day because someone has crossed for a title by getting their norm at an Olympiad. (Nowadays I actually prepare these for players who I know are close to getting there.) Putting in the title claim to be assessed at the QC meeting on the final night speeds up the award of the title by a month or two but could be harder from a different city.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 06-11-2019 at 08:05 PM.

  4. #4
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    No (though I do have the tracksuit top from Batumi thanks to Ian and Cathy Rogers!) The role of a Delegate there is all to do with the FIDE Congress. I've usually gone and watched some of the Olympiad but it's often not a great spectator experience - you have to remove more items than in airport security and it's often difficult to closely follow the matches you want to at the venue.

    It varies but in both Baku and Batumi delegates were in different hotels to the players and I didn't see them all that much. In Tromso and Istanbul we were in the same hotel and I saw them more often.

    One nuisance factor if they are in separate cities would be with title claims. A few times I've done a paper chase on the final day because someone has crossed for a title by getting their norm at an Olympiad. (Nowadays I actually prepare these for players who I know are close to getting there.) Putting in the title claim to be assessed at the QC meeting on the final night speeds up the award of the title by a month or two but could be harder from a different city.
    If this happens to be in different cities, this could be major problem for teams who are team captains and delegates. The reason could be to save money for a Federation.

    Now, I have only heard but they are planning to make the visa process just like the World Cup is what I have heard. Again, this is very limited knowledge and I would definitely assume that for Australian's attending the Olympiad, a visa will definitely be needed.

    lost

  5. #5
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,977
    Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    If this happens to be in different cities, this could be major problem for teams who are team captains and delegates. The reason could be to save money for a Federation.
    Indeed. Not as big a deal as it would be in an election year but still I expect that holding them in separate cities would affect the Congress attendance for that reason.

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,987
    but I asked that ...

    Does it happen that you guys (delegates) are also members of team squads? (not necessarily as players)?
    and you said no ...
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

    https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

  7. #7
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,977
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    but I asked that ...



    and you said no ...
    Misunderstandings happen on teh internets sometimes. I interpreted it as a question about us delegates in general, rather than about specific unusual delegates who would be both.

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Misunderstandings happen on teh internets sometimes. I interpreted it as a question about us delegates in general, rather than about specific unusual delegates who would be both.
    ok I am not complaining I just needed a clarification since I might be asked to assist in preparing a translation of a FIDE document for another federation!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

    https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

  9. #9
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,977
    Six days is a short Congress with GA; the last non-election GA in Baku was nine. However there is a fair amount of room to streamline the program, eg cull the day that is supposed to have the Continental meetings (but often doesn't).

  10. #10
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Six days is a short Congress with GA; the last non-election GA in Baku was nine. However there is a fair amount of room to streamline the program, eg cull the day that is supposed to have the Continental meetings (but often doesn't).
    Kevin,

    I am suspecting that all Commission Meetings will only be lasting an hour now with Continental Assemblies lasting 2 hours and these will all be scheduled for the same time. That's the only reasonable explanation I can give to have everything crammed in. As you know GA will be 3 days so that is the only way I can see which means discussing anything in these Commission Meetings will be kept to an extreme minimum.

    Do you think this could cause problems Kevin should Delegates wish to ask questions to the Commission at all?

    lost

  11. #11
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,977
    Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    Do you think this could cause problems Kevin should Delegates wish to ask questions to the Commission at all?
    Delegates can often ask questions in writing in advance, but I think there are limits to the extent to which meetings could be usefully shortened assuming (hypothetically) that that was the method being used.

    At past Congresses I have been to, many Commissions have four hour meetings with a break partway that is supposed to be 10 minutes but always seems to go for half an hour. These meetings are way too long and should be shortened. A single Commission with an effective chair should be able to accomplish most of its business inside two hours in almost all cases. Meetings where a detailed proposal is presented and delegates offer comments would sometimes not work if they were shorter than that.

    Outside of election years, Continental Assemblies are usually unnecessary and in Asia's case at least seldom held.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2020 Chess Olympiad
    By lost in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 16-11-2019, 02:11 PM
  2. FIDE Arbiter's Seminar, Sydney 2020
    By Peter Tsai in forum Arbiters' Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-11-2019, 12:48 PM
  3. 2020 Chess Para-Olympics (sf 2020 Olympiad)
    By Kai in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 13-11-2019, 09:00 PM
  4. Cashless society by 2020
    By Desmond in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-01-2019, 07:50 PM
  5. 2020 Olympiad will most likely be in Khanty-Mansiysk
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-04-2016, 09:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •