Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Most respondents on here have suggested that 'sources of information' is the correct way to handle this situation. I think, as part of that same rule, is more applicable.

Analyse on another chessboard. Surely following another players game and then using those moves would be considered for this purpose - analyse on another chessboard.

Yes, I am aware that 'analyse on another chessboard' is usually meant to be- oh, I am not sure about my position, so I will go set up a dummy board and work out the position there before playing my move on the game board. But that part of the rule does not have to only fit that definition.

The second player is using the other chessboard to make their moves, and so I think that part fits as well.

I think this type of situation is where the Preface would also apply:

PREFACE

The Laws of Chess cannot cover all possible situations that may arise during a game, nor can they regulate all administrative questions. Where cases are not precisely regulated by an Article of the Laws, it should be possible to reach a correct decision by studying analogous situations which are regulated in the Laws. The Laws assume that arbiters have the necessary competence, sound judgement and absolute objectivity.

Too detailed a rule might deprive the arbiter of his freedom of judgement and thus prevent him from finding a solution to a problem dictated by fairness, logic and special factors. FIDE appeals to all chess players and federations to accept this view.

A necessary condition for a game to be rated by FIDE is that it shall be played according to the FIDE Laws of Chess. It is recommended that competitive games not rated by FIDE be played according to the FIDE Laws of Chess.

Member federations may ask FIDE to give a ruling on matters relating to the Laws of Chess.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    Most respondents on here have suggested that 'sources of information' is the correct way to handle this situation. I think, as part of that same rule, is more applicable.

Analyse on another chessboard. Surely following another players game and then using those moves would be considered for this purpose - analyse on another chessboard.

Yes, I am aware that 'analyse on another chessboard' is usually meant to be- oh, I am not sure about my position, so I will go set up a dummy board and work out the position there before playing my move on the game board. But that part of the rule does not have to only fit that definition.

The second player is using the other chessboard to make their moves, and so I think that part fits as well.

I think this type of situation is where the Preface would also apply:

PREFACE
    Ahhh thought crimes.

You can look at other games, but don't think about them.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Candidate Master
    The consequence of your opinion is that there are "forbidden" moves only because someone is playing them in the venue. Can I play 1. d4 on second board if the same has been just done on the first one? Maybe you will punish me for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Pagano View Post
    The consequence of your opinion is that there are "forbidden" moves only because someone is playing them in the venue. Can I play 1. d4 on second board if the same has been just done on the first one? Maybe you will punish me for that!
    Not sure if you're referring to me, but I agree with you! I probably should have put a [sarcasm] tag on my post!
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    I own this Geller book and agree it is a great book. A games collection of 100 games organised by openings and all games played and thoroughly annotated by Geller. Interesting that he played several Sicilian games with Fischer with wins and losses. See games 95-99.
    Some argue though that apparently...Keres played Bb5+ ahead of Geller ...
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Some argue though that apparently...Keres played Bb5+ ahead of Geller ...
    This 3peat incident, Geller's book citing it, and Tukmakov's entertaining account of the incident, are also referred to briefly in a not very well known book review of Tukmakov's Modern Chess Preparation. See "Australasian Chess", Vol 11, No. 2, March/April 2013. page 47.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Thread Information