CC Rookie

Does anybody have ChessBase 8.0 ?

Hello

I am looking for an old version of ChessBase 8.0.

I am aware of the free versions of Chessbase Lite and Chessbase Reader, but I do not want those (I am a vintage computing enthusiast). Would anybody be able to help me obtain ChessBase 8.0 ? or point me in the right direction ? I am willing to purchase a copy (or reimburse you for making an ISO copy).

I bought Deep Fritz 20 years ago (Fritz 6 32-bit multiprocessor) and its ChessBase menu option shows an error message that Chessbase 8.0 is not installed, so I would like to complete the program functionality. I also have a copy of Mega Database 2002 that I want to use with it.

Thanks !

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mcooper1970 View Post
    Hello

I am a vintage computing enthusiast). Would anybody be able to help me obtain ChessBase 8.0 ? or point me in the right direction ?

I bought Deep Fritz 20 years ago (Fritz 6 32-bit multiprocessor) and its ChessBase menu option shows an error message that Chessbase 8.0 is not installed, so I would like to complete the program functionality. I also have a copy of Mega Database 2002 that I want to use with it.

Thanks !
    Hi chess enthusiast mcooper.

Can you explain what a vintage computing enthusiast is? What satisfies you as one, how do you differ from ordinary computing enthusiasts? Is your enthusiasm enhanced in the case of chess, and if so, why?

From a curious enquirer into all matters puzzling whether they be in the air or lie beneath the surface of the waters.

CC Rookie
    Hello Frank,

A vintage computing enthusiast is someone who enjoys using old computing technology. For example old calculators, PDAs, software, or HAM radios.

Satisfaction comes from a confluence of things; part sentimental, part utility and part principle. Sentimentally I love the nostalgia of relatively quieter and simpler times, back when youth was blissfully squandered. One could play Dune2 or Civilisation for ages and be oblivious to consequence. There were no bills, friends actually saw eachother, and dialup BBS's was where the scene was.

While others scoff at obsolete things and worry about the latest and greatest - I on the other hand see perfectly usable stuff. People often spend obscene amounts of money on marginal changes that rapidly depreciate in value. There is so much waste chasing trends.

Most computing enthusiasts chase trends ie. bigger, faster, more features etc. It is a never ending cycle of discard and feelings of loss and shame of not being up to date. I on the other hand derive amazement from my 286 AT 20mhz 1 mb ram 40mb disk PC. It was the cutting edge once. Want a word processor ? -- got WordPerfect 5.1. Want a GUI OS ? -- got Windows 3.0. Want multitasking ? -- got DesqView. 30 years later the same 286 is still there - my interest in it is still there - And there is still another 30 years of interesting things to do with it. It is not obsolete !

I am someone who lives in the past. I used my Nokia 6150 for 15 years (nowadays it is a Nokia N82). Between 2014-2018 my average mobile phone bill was $0.01 per day. It only went up to $0.02 per day due to new employment related calls. Contrast this with people who experience acute anxiety when they do not have access to their phone even for 1 day.

Chess is an activity that is compatible with my peaceful, quiet, recluse and frugal mind. I do not aspire to be a grand master, but I do enjoy exploring and experimenting with the features in chess-related software to improve my game. There is utility and purpose in it. For me, chess provides a means to extend the vintage computing adventure. It does not matter if the software is old because in the end it ultimately betters my appreciation of history and what once was.

They say that the older you get, the past becomes more interesting than the future. The more things change, the more they stay the same. What do you think ? -- Why not find a copy of Fritz 1.0 or Chessmaster 2000 and see how far things have come. Would you be able to beat it ? It might bring out the vintage computing enthusiast in you.
    Last edited by mcooper1970; 18-10-2019 at 07:00 PM. Reason: revised

CC Candidate Master

They say that the older you get, the past becomes more interesting than the future. What do you think about this?
    I say this is an exquisite and fully satisfying response.

I once had a Tandy TRS80 (I think) that had 16K of memory and an occasional magazine dedicated to getting around its limitations.

With your permission, I would like to quote you in the coming issue of Chess in Australia due 31 October.
    Last edited by Frank; 18-10-2019 at 07:22 AM.

CC Candidate Master
    I have a copy of CB8.

Ian

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I say this is an exquisite and fully satisfying response.

I once had a Tandy TRS80 (I think) that had 16K of memory and an occasional magazine dedicated to getting around its limitations.

With your permission, I would like to quote you in the coming issue of Chess in Australia due 31 October.
    I also had a Commodore 64. When I went looking for it I could not find it. Later I found out my dad had thrown it out as junk. I was very cross at him.

Wow ! I did not expect to be quoted in anything. The pressure is on.

Sure, you have my permission to quote me.

I have revised my original post to be more article friendly (I kept a backup in case you thought the original was better).
    Last edited by mcooper1970; 18-10-2019 at 07:00 PM.

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Rogers View Post
    I have a copy of CB8.

Ian
    If you would like to make an arrangement, then please contact me on "mcooper1970 at hotmail.com".

CC Candidate Master

Wow ! I did not expect to be quoted in anything.
    Well, you have now been quoted in the ACF Newsletter 31 October 2019 in full at https://us12.campaign-archive.com/?u...&id=a14c5ca53e

Best wishes & many thanks!
    Last edited by Frank; 31-10-2019 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Well, you have now been quoted in the ACF Newsletter 31 October 2019 in full at https://us12.campaign-archive.com/?u...&id=a14c5ca53e

Best wishes & many thanks!
    Read it there too. Very interesting article.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Thread Information