Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    And Sheldrick has a one point lead going into the final round as well in the Reserves, with Ross Lam the only one still with a chance of catching him.
    Which Lam has done by winning!

CC Grandmaster
    And Kuybokarov allows O'Chee to force a perpetual on Board 1, thus becoming the outright winner!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Which Lam has done by winning!
    Creating a tie for the Reserves. There surprisingly isn't a by-law covering this situation and wasn't any other advance provision, so they share the tournament win and the ACF will decide later what to do re qualification for the next Champs (which could be that they are both eligible.)

Congrats to new Australian champion Kuybokarov!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Grandmaster
    Well done To Timur! He got tired in the end but overall - he has been playing fantastic chess over the last 30 days or so!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Well done To Timur! He got tired in the end but overall - he has been playing fantastic chess over the last 30 days or so!
    Congratulations Temur!
    Southern Suburbs Chess Club (Perth)
    www.southernsuburbschessclub.org.au

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I've been impressed by his determination to win every game. Congratulations!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Creating a tie for the Reserves. There surprisingly isn't a by-law covering this situation and wasn't any other advance provision, so they share the tournament win and the ACF will decide later what to do re qualification for the next Champs (which could be that they are both eligible.)
    Thanks for clarifying this - I was wondering what would happen after the tie.

With the concern about Championship numbers (although I know the main worry is the absence of the top players), wouldn't it be logical to admit both of them?

CC Grandmaster

With the concern about Championship numbers (although I know the main worry is the absence of the top players), wouldn't it be logical to admit both of them?
    Agreed.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC FIDE Master
    Thanks for clarifying this - I was wondering what would happen after the tie.

Interesting. My quick reading of the ACF tournament by-laws seems to say that the tie resolution method shall be shown on the tournament schedule yet the tournament flyer says ties are broken “as per the ACF by-laws.” Sounds a bit circular. I noticed in passing also that the ACF titles included Australian Junior Champion but I didn’t see any mention of younger age-group titles. Perhaps the by-law on the website is not up-to-date?
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    Interesting. My quick reading of the ACF tournament by-laws seems to say that the tie resolution method shall be shown on the tournament schedule yet the tournament flyer says ties are broken “as per the ACF by-laws.” Sounds a bit circular. I noticed in passing also that the ACF titles included Australian Junior Champion but I didn’t see any mention of younger age-group titles. Perhaps the by-law on the website is not up-to-date?
    If you mean this one: http://auschess.org.au/wp-content/up...5-Jan-2012.pdf (By-Laws for ACF Tournaments) then it is up to date as concerns the Junior issue, which is covered by the following at the head of part 2:

Junior titles ( "[junior]" ) will be awarded in the separate categories of Junior (under 18), Under 16, Under 14, Under 12, Under 10, and Under 8 and Girls (under 18), Girls Under 16, Girls Under 14, Girls Under 12, Girls Under 10, and Girls Under 8.

However the Reserves (Major) isn't one of the titles listed in part 2 so it is not clear whether the Tiebreaks requirement in part 8 is actually meant to apply to the Reserves or not as it isn't a recognised "title".

CC FIDE Master
    If you mean this one: http://auschess.org.au/wp-content/up...5-Jan-2012.pdf (By-Laws for ACF Tournaments) then it is up to date as concerns the Junior issue, which is covered by the following at the head of part 2:

Junior titles ( "[junior]" ) will be awarded in the separate categories of Junior (under 18), Under 16, Under 14, Under 12, Under 10, and Under 8 and Girls (under 18), Girls Under 16, Girls Under 14, Girls Under 12, Girls Under 10, and Girls Under 8.

However the Reserves (Major) isn't one of the titles listed in part 2 so it is not clear whether the Tiebreaks requirement in part 8 is actually meant to apply to the Reserves or not as it isn't a recognised "title".
    Thanks for the info on the junior titles (which I missed). The championship by-law wording “the winner of the Major” as opposed to “the winner(s) of the Major” implies to me that there should only be one winner who qualifies for the championship.

What are the play-off arrangements for the Juniors? I note there is a time frame allocated in the schedule for “play-offs” but I couldn’t find info as to how these were to be conducted. The tournament by-law (if I read it correctly) says if there is a play-off it has to be at the same rate as the tournament ... but don’t we have faster time control play-offs?
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

What are the play-off arrangements for the Juniors? I note there is a time frame allocated in the schedule for “play-offs” but I couldn’t find info as to how these were to be conducted. The tournament by-law (if I read it correctly) says if there is a play-off it has to be at the same rate as the tournament ... but don’t we have faster time control play-offs?
    Play-off arrangements for the Juniors is in section 5 in by-law 3 Australian Junior Chess Championships.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Thanks for the info on the junior titles (which I missed). The championship by-law wording “the winner of the Major” as opposed to “the winner(s) of the Major” implies to me that there should only be one winner who qualifies for the championship.
    Yes I also think that is the intention but we have got out of the practice (if it existed) of specifying a way to resolve the tie in the event of there being one in the event conditions.

CC International Master
    Yes I also think that is the intention but we have got out of the practice (if it existed) of specifying a way to resolve the tie in the event of there being one in the event conditions.
    Fortunately ACF has plenty of time to decide what it wants to do about a tie in the Reserves.

Typically there are ten or so players in the Championship who might win it in a good year. The remainder have little realistic chance of winning but serve the purpose of providing a test for the top contenders. Viewed in that light, splitting hairs between players with identical scores in the Reserves is not very productive, especially when you will often get different results depending on the tie-break method.

Given the performance needed to finish near the top of the Reserves relative to those of the lower levels of the Championship it could be argued that having only one qualifier is a little conservative. I think there is a case for having the top two or three qualifying.

Thread Information