Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Passing of Richard Voon

I am saddened to inform the chess community that Richard Voon has passed away last week. His funeral will be Wednesday 14 Aug 1.45pm at Blair Chapel, Springvale Botanical Cemetery, Springvale.

He has been a prolific player at Melbourne Chess Club and many other tournaments in the chess community. He was never shy about sharing his thoughts on the rules of chess. I will always remember his colourful conversations and tenacious chess games.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Richard was a local legend of the Melbourne chess scene, a larger than life character and still inspirationally dangerous to stronger opponents even in his later years (he would have been 80 this year) when his rating had finally dropped down towards average club level. Among other things he won the Commonwealth Seniors Champion title in Sri Lanka in 2016. RIP.

CC Grandmaster
    Shocking News.
    While he has not been well recently, he remained a very active player till the very end.
    I have known (and played against) him for almost 30 years .
    RIP
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

I remember Richard when he played in Sydney approximately thirty five years ago. He was, I believe, involved in a short controversial incident with a Ukrainian friend of mine that he denies - it involved betting on a game of chess between them and things got a bit out of hand??? I met him again at that major competition in North Sydney approximately ten years ago and appreciated his joking manner.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC FIDE Master
    A REAL WARRIOR HAS GONE ...

I have known him since Mount Buller 2005 where we played a hard fought draw (75 moves) and where we both were dissatisfied with the result. The last seven years he always proposed me to stay in Australia, because "you are alwas here ..."

HVIL I FRED - REST IN PEACE.

CC Candidate Master
    Shocking and sad news indeed. Richard was truly a larger than life character whom I always thought would be playing chess till his last days.

While I agree that he a stickler for what he considered the proper rules and etiquette of chess, he was always a ready and willing opponent waiting after a long classical game to play a blitz match or three afterwards. Often he wouldn't allow his opponent the satisfaction of leaving after one blitz match unless he lost by a "Fischer score" (i.e. 6-0).

A key to his chess playing strength despite his age (apart from his innate skill) was a willingness to model his game on current players. He was a great admirer of the chess of Vladimir Kramnik and modeled his opening repertoire in his last years on that of the former world champion.

Richard will be deeply missed.

Saddened to hear that my chess mate Richard Voon ('Voonie') from Melbourne has passed on to the chess club in the sky. I only met him around 2007 or so, and we played just two rated games, but that was enough to gain a life-long chess friend. We somehow managed to squeeze in what dozens of friendly blitz games around a couple of events in Melbourne. I don't think I ever came across anyone who enjoyed chess so much and just wanted to play and play, certainly no one north of 70! My condolences to friends and family. RIP.
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

CC International Master
    I certainly share the feeling of a larger than life character. Hard to believe - I had a conversation with Richard in this year’s Doerbel Cup. He had his usual sense of humour.

We used to play lightning matches with Richard years ago. The agreement was that if one of us scores 10:0 than the other one buys duck and champagne. Tried a few times - each time in the last moment something happens and no prize. About the 4th or 5th time finally managed the required 10:0. Next day see Richard, he goes - sorry no duck but here is your champagne. He found a 100 mil bottle - I have never seen so little bottle in my life...

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I certainly share the feeling of a larger than life character. Hard to believe - I had a conversation with Richard in this year’s Doerbel Cup. He had his usual sense of humour.

We used to play lightning matches with Richard years ago. The agreement was that if one of us scores 10:0 than the other one buys duck and champagne. Tried a few times - each time in the last moment something happens and no prize. About the 4th or 5th time finally managed the required 10:0. Next day see Richard, he goes - sorry no duck but here is your champagne. He found a 100 mil bottle - I have never seen so little bottle in my life...

RIP
    Well Vlad, Voonie may have been evasive with the duck and champagne but he succumbed to that wise advice about not being able to cheat taxes and flag fall.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Candidate Master
    RIP Richard

This is quite upsetting for myself and others who first heard the news yesterday at Hobsons Bay Chess Club.
    I have fond memories of our 20 or so hard fought games over the past 30 years. He beat me on our 1st and last encounters and few in-between!
    Voonie was tenacious and gracious. He inspired and encouraged all the juniors he came in contact with - they will be hurt by this shock.
    He played far and wide and was apparently planning some new o/s adventure when he was taken suddenly.
    He was a great supporter of the Best in the West.
    RIP Dickie

CC Candidate Master
    Melbourne Chess Club will be honouring Richard Voon in a forthcoming tournament, most likely early 2020.

This is very sad news. I've always liked Richard. It's hard to imagine the Victorian chess scene without him. Since we gave him a lift in NZ many years ago, I always shared a friendly nod or chat with him during tournaments. He absolutely loved his chess and like others have said remained remarkably strong. I will miss him.

CC Candidate Master
    Sad news. The last game I watched him play (a couple of months ago), he was still easily beating an upcoming junior who was higher rated than him. I played him quite recently. He won and was pleased afterwards that he had evened the overall score between us. We had a nice chat and (somewhat pertinent now) he asked me for advice about the cost of making a will (about which I knew little). And then in his usual colourful way, he proceeded to complain (as he had many times before) about how little prize money there was in chess and it just wasn't worth him playing tournaments anymore

He will certainly be missed in Victorian chess. RIP
    Last edited by Kai; 15-08-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Thread Information