Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CC Candidate Master
    Oh no. Not Dick Voon.
    What a great character of the chess scene. People like him are the lifeblood of the game.
    I must have played at least 20 tournament games against Dick over the years, probably more, not to mention hundreds of blitz games.
    His zest for the game was unparalleled and on many occasions he was Australia's most active player in a given rating period.
    I'll miss that laugh and his pithy observations and humorous digs at his mates.
    So sad he's gone, but what a full life he lived.

CC Candidate Master
    Richard played and beat many good players in his time, and one of the best he defeated was former World Champion Challenger GM Nigel Short, whom he beat when Nigel came to MCC for a simul in 2016.

Richard was very proud of his win and didn't refrain from letting me know after the simul that he had succeeded where I had failed!

Here is a link to Richard's win over Nigel Short.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Ly View Post
    Richard played and beat many good players in his time, and one of the best he defeated was former World Champion Challenger GM Nigel Short, whom he beat when Nigel came to MCC for a simul in 2016.

Richard was very proud of his win and didn't refrain from letting me know after the simul that he had succeeded where I had failed!

Great Fighting chess by Richard~!
    On his day, he was truly capable of scoring upset wins over literally anyone!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Ly View Post

I thought it was sort of chess etiquette that very good players did not participate in simultaneous exhibits? My friend, Ron Kite, did not participate in the simul of Benjamin Joel for this reason. His rating would have been similar to Richards.
    Last edited by antichrist; 16-08-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    I thought it was sort of chess etiquette that very good players did not participate in simultaneous exhibits? My friend, Ron Kite, did not participate in the simul of Benjamin Joel for this reason. His rating would have been similar to Richards.
    At the time of the simul Richard's FIDE rating was only about 1700 which is a typical rating for a club simul opponent. He was 2150 in 2004 - would be interesting to know what his peak rating was - but even a player of that rating would often play in a simul against an elite GM like Nigel. Some simul-givers don't allow players above a certain rating to play them but that isn't an etiquette matter on the player's behalf. Players whose ratings are within, say, 400 points of the simul-giver might choose not to play.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    At the time of the simul Richard's FIDE rating was only about 1700 which is a typical rating for a club simul opponent. He was 2150 in 2004 - would be interesting to know what his peak rating was - but even a player of that rating would often play in a simul against an elite GM like Nigel. Some simul-givers don't allow players above a certain rating to play them but that isn't an etiquette matter on the player's behalf. Players whose ratings are within, say, 400 points of the simul-giver might choose not to play.
    I think simuls are just a bit of fun and itís up to the players whether or not they wish to play. I regret not playing against Karpov when he gave a simul in Melbourne but I did play Spassky and got a draw. I remember also sometime in the 1970ís I played against Euwe and lost although my excuse was I was helping Jordan and Bartnik on either side of me (who both won). When I gave some big simuls in the late 1970ís my opponents included players like Rogers and Johansen (who probably beat me - I donít remember). We donít seem to have many simuls these days.
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

Richard told me was working in the mining industry in W.A.when he had some down time.He found a chess article and proceeded to learn the game.
    One day I said to him,"You love chess don't you?"
    He said,"I hate it but I can't stop".haha.
    P3100269 (Medium).jpg
    Photo:Sabrina Koetsier at the 2018 Ballarat Begonia Open.

Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    I think simuls are just a bit of fun and it’s up to the players whether or not they wish to play. I regret not playing against Karpov when he gave a simul in Melbourne but I did play Spassky and got a draw. I remember also sometime in the 1970’s I played against Euwe and lost although my excuse was I was helping Jordan and Bartnik on either side of me (who both won). When I gave some big simuls in the late 1970’s my opponents included players like Rogers and Johansen (who probably beat me - I don’t remember). We don’t seem to have many simuls these days.
    GM Rogers did a simul for JCL fundraising, about 30-40 takers. When Rogers was on the other side of the room a student knocked his pieces over and Rogers when back around 20 boards later set them up correctly. Amazing.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    We donít seem to have many simuls these days.
    Last big simul was given by Anton this July against AusJcl kids in Adelaide: 31 boards, 3 draws, some of the kids were over 2000.

Last big blindfold simul was also given by Anton in Canterbury chess club this July: 6 boards, 4 wins and 2 losses.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I believe in the early 1970's - he participated in Australian Championship.

CC Grandmaster
    https://chess-db.com/public/pinfo.jsp?id=3204146

Richard's draw with IM Rujevic (2002)

Looks like his FIDE rating may have run quite a bit above his ACF as was pretty common in the days when the FIDE floor was 2000.

His ACF was quite high at times too though; I found one old ratings booklet that had him in the high 2000s in the days before the 150-point uplift.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    I never got a chance to play against Richard, but he always responded with a wave of recognition and a smile when we were both at the same chess tournament.

I remember Bas Van Riel telling me about a game he played against Richard in the 2012 Aus Championships in Geelong - it was a Nimzo-Indian with Bas as White, and Richard equalised by putting his pawns on the black squares, and stifling White's play.

After achieving equality, Richard wouldn't accept Bas' draw offer, and played on for many moves - only agreeing to a draw when it was obvious that there were no more possibilities in the final position.

The next day, Bas described this to me as "Richard, he's just one of those players who just loves playing chess for the sake of playing chess!"
    Last edited by ElevatorEscapee; 16-08-2019 at 10:46 PM.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I believe in the early 1970's - he participated in Australian Championship.
    He may have but I've found no record of it except that he played in the Reserves in 1973-4.

However he played in the top division in 1985-6 scoring 4/11, defeating Hanks, Kloostra, Sztern and Reilly. At the time he was 2029 ACF and they were all 2050-2100 (again this is pre-uplift).
    He played in the top division again in 1987-8 scoring 4.5/11 including defeating Sztern (now 2168) again.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 17-08-2019 at 06:58 AM.

Thread Information