Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    CC Rookie
    Ah yes you're right the rook was on a4

CC FIDE Master
    Thanks to the players who scored their Rapid Games. I've made a small database of the ones I've seen so far -

TAS RAPID

If anyone else is able to upload their games here or post a link, I'll add them to it.

Honour Boards have been updated and the crosstables uploaded to the TCA website. I'd like to add the database to that report sometime next week.

On another note: Kerry Beeton is actively sourcing venues for the 2019 Launceston Cup. I don't have many details, but it's likely to also be run as a 7 round Rapid event in middle November. I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by idledim; 19-08-2019 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    Thanks to the players who scored their Rapid Games. I've made a small database of the ones I've seen so far - Tas. Rapid

If anyone else is able to upload their games here or post a link, I'll add them to it.

Honour Boards have been updated and the crosstables uploaded to the website - TCA. I'd like to add the database to that report sometime next week.

On another note: Kerry Beeton is actively sourcing venues for the 2019 Launceston Cup. I don't have many details, but it's likely to also be run as a 7 round Rapid event in middle November. I'll keep you posted.
    Hopefully good news about the Launceston Cup! The game database has the same game entered twice, Kevin's round 2 game with Addison is also entered as being vs Me😁
    Luck has the peculiar habit of favouring those who don't rely on it!-Anonymous
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small mind discuss people.-Anonymous
    He who dares, wins.-SAS motto

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James Peirce View Post
    Hopefully good news about the Launceston Cup! The game database has the same game entered twice, Kevin's round 2 game with Addison is also entered as being vs Me��
    Thanks James - it's just a quick draft. I'll tidy it up before uploading to the website. I'm hoping Toby scored all his games!

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenmaster9000 View Post
    I host an online tournament on Sunday nights from 7:30pm til 9:00pm. It's on lichess.org where you can easily get a free account.

You also need to befriend me on Facebook (Toby Straton) so I can send you the secret password

It's a lot of fun, playing people we know. The time limit is 10mins with no increment but there's an option to halve your own time for double the points.

Look forward to hearing from you
    Thanks Toby / sounds great / will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenmaster9000 View Post
    I host an online tournament on Sunday nights from 7:30pm til 9:00pm. It's on lichess.org where you can easily get a free account.

You also need to befriend me on Facebook (Toby Straton) so I can send you the secret password

It's a lot of fun, playing people we know. The time limit is 10mins with no increment but there's an option to halve your own time for double the points.

Look forward to hearing from you
    As i don't have Facebook could you PM me here or on Lichess? (JamesPeirce)
    Luck has the peculiar habit of favouring those who don't rely on it!-Anonymous
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small mind discuss people.-Anonymous
    He who dares, wins.-SAS motto

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    It was a fun game - and sorry I didn't score it - but at the end I thought your rook was on a4. Nd8 would obviously have been met by R x N. Can you remember? I can't. Still: it has to be a major achievement to get a draw when the computer had me at -12.2 at one point!

EDIT: Maybe instead of R(g)f8, you played Ra4 - with the idea that if I play Ne5+ then Harry the h pawn will fall. After Nd8 it's definitely drawn though, since if Black goes to the back rank, then Nc5 and White is actually winning.
    I don't understand the note to move B24:

Blunder. Best move was Nh3+.
    24...Nh3+ 25.Kh1 Nhf2+ 26.Kg1 Bxb2 27.Rb1 Nh3+ 28.Kh1 Qxb3 29.Rxb3 Nhf2+ 30.Kg1 Bxa3 31.axb7

Why repeat moves with ... Nh3+ and ...Nf2+ ? Just take the B straight away and be two pieces up. The game continuation really was a blunder, allowing White to regain the piece.

Yet on other moves, the punctuation was quite liberally applied. E.g. I wouldn't call a normal Sicilian move like 4... d6 "dubious".
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    I don't understand the note to move B24:

Blunder. Best move was Nh3+.
    24...Nh3+ 25.Kh1 Nhf2+ 26.Kg1 Bxb2 27.Rb1 Nh3+ 28.Kh1 Qxb3 29.Rxb3 Nhf2+ 30.Kg1 Bxa3 31.axb7

Why repeat moves with ... Nh3+ and ...Nf2+ ? Just take the B straight away and be two pieces up. The game continuation really was a blunder, allowing White to regain the piece.

Yet on other moves, the punctuation was quite liberally applied. E.g. I wouldn't call a normal Sicilian move like 4... d6 "dubious".
    It's automated computer notation by the lichess site. My guess is that it picks the line with repeating moves because this stops it seeing something at the end that alters its assessment by some fraction of a pawn. Not sure how strong the computer is but it gives a good general indication of how well or badly you played, though its assessments of individual moves can be debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Peirce - Bonham is above, and I think lichess is wrong about 19...Rxc7 being better than 19...Kd8 and that both moves are objectively 0.0. Four of my other games below.

Djatschenko - Bonham rd 2. I think this is quite positionally instructive. Sometimes knights are happy to be kicked.

PGN Viewer

Interesting games. In the above, even 11. b4 looks loose, separating the Q-side Ps and weaking the c-pawn and c-file for insufficient compensation. 12. b5 made things worse. Presumably the computer preferred 12... Na5 because it was aiming for the furthest available outpost on c4. 25... Bg5 instead of the obvious 25... Rxd4 might have been a good example of the rule, “When you see a good move look out for a better,” by the Rev. Prof. William Wayte, later attributed to Lasker.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    25... Bg5 instead of the obvious 25... Rxd4 might have been a good example of the rule, “When you see a good move look out for a better,” by the Rev. Prof. William Wayte, later attributed to Lasker.
    As it happens I saw the better move first, and a few moves out at that. I'm not sure that I even noticed the good move at all. I've often been good at quickly spotting themes that trap an opposing rook.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    As it happens I saw the better move first, and a few moves out at that. I'm not sure that I even noticed the good move at all. I've often been good at quickly spotting themes that trap an opposing rook.
    The B-pair cooperated very nicely, and White's loose Q-side gave the light-squared one good squares on c4 (and b3 in the note to W26). With best defence by White (e.g 25. a4 instead of 25. Nc3) Black would probably have been stuck with the good move, which still results in good compensation for an extra pawn.

Thread Information