CC Candidate Master

Passing of Bosko Mijatovic

I heard the sad news of Bosko's passing earlier in the week, and would like here to express my condolences to his friends and family.
    Bosko was a long-term member of the Noble Park Chess Club and a very keen player - on a good day he could be a tough match for even the strongest players at the club, and would keep finding ways to continue the struggle no matter how difficult his position appeared. We were fortunate for the contribution he made at our Saturday tournaments and he will be greatly missed.

Always sad to hear of the passing of a club stalwart of any club. May he RIP and my condolences to his family and friends.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Wallis View Post
    I heard the sad news of Bosko's passing earlier in the week, and would like here to express my condolences to his friends and family.
    Bosko was a long-term member of the Noble Park Chess Club and a very keen player - on a good day he could be a tough match for even the strongest players at the club, and would keep finding ways to continue the struggle no matter how difficult his position appeared. We were fortunate for the contribution he made at our Saturday tournaments and he will be greatly missed.
    Omg Very sorry to hear it. RIP.
    I played him in Allegros many times and some years ago, also with slower time controls. He was always a very tough fighter to play against.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    Bosko was a great competitor. We clashed regularly in the 1970s and he is the only person I have ever seen try 1.c4 e5 2.f4!?. His last international event was in Paracin in 2011, where Justin Tan and Ray Song are currently playing. Sincere condolences to his family.

CC Candidate Master
    We are very sad to hear this news. Bosko was a very friendly, kind and generous person. He was always a great supporter of Justin, and played him regularly throughout his junior years. They had many hard fought and interesting battles.

One day we were outside our house and bumped into Bosko. To our surprise, we found out he was one of our neighbours! After that, we gave him lifts regularly to and from the chess club, and whenever he was paired against Justin, they played at home instead. I also recall a time when he knocked on our door, and then presented us with a lost purse he had found in his apartment block. He thought the best thing to do would be to come to our place and hand it to us! (it was promptly returned to someone in his block).

He always kept touch with Justin's progress in Europe and would sometimes text me with congratulations. On a couple of occasions, he sent us postcards from Serbia with nothing more on the card than "From Bob".

He was involved many years ago in the organisation of the Paracin tournament. So he was keen that Justin should play in it, inviting us many times. Justin finally did enter in 2017 and 2018. A stranger approached Justin during the tournament and gave him a small gift because he was "Bosko's friend". It was very fitting that Paracin 2018 was the tournament Justin achieved his final norm and GM title. Bosko was absolutely thrilled and took great delight in telling his wife, daughters and friends. Justin visited him at home, with the trophy to show to him (photo below). By then, Bosko was already debilitated physically and had to stop playing altogether.

We last saw him when Justin was back in January this year, and he was in hospital. He was very poorly and had trouble talking but we managed some brief reminiscences about chess.

I am in contact with his daughter, who has asked me to convey the news and their thanks to the chess community.

As Ian says, Justin is currently playing again in Paracin, and he has dedicated his tournament to Bosko's memory.

RIP Bosko Mijatovic.

bosko.jpg
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 08-07-2019 at 11:49 AM.

CC Candidate Master
    I'm sorry to hear this. I played Bosco back in the 70s when he once came 2nd in the City of Melbourne to Arvids Prods. We played in an mcc event about 10 years ago.
    For coaching contact Bill Jordan at swneerava@gmail.com
    my Chess ebooks can be found at Amazon Author Central
    and my YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsd...-HNla3kQdhTleQ

CC Candidate Master
    That's very sad.
    I also played many games against Bosco over the years, especially in MCC tournaments.
    He was a lovely man, always very friendly, graceful in victory or defeat.
    Our final encounter in round 1 of the MCC championship in 2009 turned into one of my best games and Bosco, despite losing, was quite appreciative and smiled at the finish.
    Thanks for the lovely photo, Kai.

Thread Information