Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hardegen View Post
    ... Again:
    In the 20182019 season she was, when competing in the men's team, ranked 554 in the 200 freestyle, 65 in the 500 freestyle, and 32 in the 1650 freestyle. In the 20212022 season, those ranks are now, when competing in the women's team, 5 in the 200 freestyle, first in the 500 freestyle, and eight in the 1650 freestyle.
    I assume that in NCAA the numbers of male and female swimmers are roughly equal. In a fair transition from Men's to Women's competition, we would expect Lia's percentile rank to stay roughly where it was when Lia was competing as a male against other males. It hasn't. Lia has shot to the top in the Women's 200 freestyle and 500 freestyle after `transitioning' to female. Lia has something that the women do not, and has gained an advantage by `transitioning'. It is not just that Lia is training harder.
    I would have assumed that the numbers of female and male swimmers were equal as well, but it appears that they may not be:
    Of note: While Thomas' broken records have made news, her times relative to the women's field are generally comparable to what her times relative to the men's field had been. Her best time in the 500 pre-transition (4:18.72) was 12 seconds off the men's record (4:06.32); now, her best time (4:34.06) is 10 seconds off the women's record (4:24.06), having lost 16 seconds post-transition.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I would have assumed that the numbers of female and male swimmers were equal as well, but it appears that they may not be:
    Of note: While Thomas' broken records have made news, her times relative to the women's field are generally comparable to what her times relative to the men's field had been. Her best time in the 500 pre-transition (4:18.72) was 12 seconds off the men's record (4:06.32); now, her best time (4:34.06) is 10 seconds off the women's record (4:24.06), having lost 16 seconds post-transition.
    I think we all agree that there are many sports where male's results are well above female's ones. And since this is the case, clearly male participants can outperform female athletes of the same calibre (e.g. not talking about a dog walker outrunning women's running champion) even upon sex ''corrective'' surgery.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    https://thepeoplesledger.com/two-wom...ZrcdMPxT8L2ybA
    Not sure how valid the source is but if this is true: I am not quite sure how accurate ''counting hormones'' is going to be when deciding who can and who can not compete...

CC Grandmaster
    I guess some recent bans of transgender athletes from women's sports shows that some people do understand the difference between women and transgender in sports...
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/rug...7e62b8acd249d0

CC International Master
    I have been sitting on the fence on this issue, not sure how to balance the matters.

However I now believe trans women should be able to compete along side women provided they have undergone hormonal treatment.

I disagree with what FINA has done and believe Lia Thomas should be able to compete at the Olympics if she qualified.

CC International Master
    I think is quite a good video looking at evidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ9YAFYIBOU

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I guess some recent bans of transgender athletes from women's sports shows that some people do understand the difference between women and transgender in sports...
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/rug...7e62b8acd249d0
    You need to read that article again. Neither of the two sports has banned transgender females from women's sports. Swimming hasn't even banned transgender athletes from international women's competitions.

CC Grandmaster
    You need to read that article again. Neither of the two sports has banned transgender females from women's sports. Swimming hasn't even banned transgender athletes from international women's competitions.
    Rugby league banned for ''time being'' have they not?

CC Grandmaster
    Rugby league banned for ''time being'' have they not?
    Only from international competitions - which are relatively unimportant in rugby league compared to interclub and interstate events. I'm not even sure there currently are any transgender players eligible for international rugby league.

CC Grandmaster
    Only from international competitions - which are relatively unimportant in rugby league compared to interclub and interstate events. I'm not even sure there currently are any transgender players eligible for international rugby league.
    So I guess ''only from International competitions'' suggests - only from big events?

CC Grandmaster
    So I guess ''only from International competitions'' suggests - only from big events?
    Exactly the opposite - international rugby league matches are fairly small events compared to club events and State of Origin: "International crowds have traditionally been lower than the largest club crowds in rugby league, with rugby league increasingly focussed on club competition at the expense of the international game. ... "

Thread Information