CC Grandmaster

Australian Family Values

I was replying to someone (I think it was ER) in the welfare thread and the point I was making reminded me of a conversation I was having with someone from my clients company.

He was talking about Renting his place out to his parents cause they needed a place to live.

My Question is: Is it Common in Australian Culture to Rent to Parents? Split the Bill with Parents and other family members when going out for a meal? Charging Parents for doing gardening for them?

Or was it a just unique cause of someone asking parents for money in exchange for living in his house?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    No comments...I guess this is already sending a clear message

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    No comments...I guess this is already sending a clear message
    Not really enough information to say. The parents may have insisted on paying because the son is foregoing rental income.

Another possibility is that the parent may have an employment condition entitling them to accommodation support, so they keep it in the family. Or maybe there is some tax dodge involved, or some means tested benefit which incorporates rental costs.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    Not really enough information to say. The parents may have insisted on paying because the son is foregoing rental income.

Another possibility is that the parent may have an employment condition entitling them to accommodation support, so they keep it in the family. Or maybe there is some tax dodge involved, or some means tested benefit which incorporates rental costs.
    I see. So presumably, unless there are conditions like outlined above or similar...it is not a normal practice? That is good to know.
    Quite often see parents and adult kids splitting the bill while eating out...and find it a bit odd to be honest.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I see. So presumably, unless there are conditions like outlined above or similar...it is not a normal practice? That is good to know.
    Quite often see parents and adult kids splitting the bill while eating out...and find it a bit odd to be honest.
    Well I don't really know what's normal, or considered to be - my point was just that renting a house to your parents isn't necessarily as avaricious as it might sound.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    Well I don't really know what's normal, or considered to be - my point was just that renting a house to your parents isn't necessarily as avaricious as it might sound.
    I see...just can not imagine myself or any of my Chinese or Indian friends doing it under any circumstances...so could be a cultural difference.

Thread Information