Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Grandmaster

RIP Bob Hawke: 1929 - 2019

It's sad to hear of the death of Bob Hawke, one of Australia's greatest prime ministers. His government introduced Medicare, arguably the most important social reform in the past 40 years.

The Guardian obituary:
    Bob Hawke, who has died aged 89, went from being a popular trade union leader to become the Australian Labor party’s most successful prime minister, winning four election victories from 1983 to 1991. He energised his country and his party by ushering in a decade of significant economic and social reform. By dint of his charismatic personality, powers of persuasion and, for a Labor figure, unusually strong relationships with both business and unions, Hawke forged a powerful consensus that defined his leadership style. With his natural diplomacy, he navigated Australia into a wider world by building alliances, particularly with Asia, and he modernised the economy, integrating it into overseas markets through reducing tariff protection and floating the Australian dollar. His government also oversaw stronger environmental controls, overruling Tasmania’s plans to build a controversial dam in the wilderness. He led the widespread reform of education and training and even advocated a treaty – still unrealised – with Indigenous Australia.

I did anti-nuke protest against the Hawke PM when he was opening one of his election campaigns at the Sydney Opera House and another at Tweed Heads Bowling Club years later. He reputation was that of a turncoat who could not be trusted. He would tell business leaders the truth of his intentions and tell Labor folk differently.

(I knew Bob personally from being a Labor Party member and office-bearer for many years)
    Last edited by antichrist; 17-05-2019 at 05:46 AM.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

“You might almost say he had a Labor heart, but a Liberal head,” Abbott said.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    It's sad to hear of the death of Bob Hawke, one of Australia's greatest prime ministers.

The Guardian obituary:
    With his natural diplomacy, he navigated Australia into a wider world by building alliances, particularly with Asia, and he modernised the economy, integrating it into overseas markets through reducing tariff protection and floating the Australian dollar.
    RIP. Hawke did a lot of good for Australia. He probably ranks below only Howard and Menzies as best ever Australian PM. He implemented reforms that Howard had wanted but was stymied under that big-government fraud Fraser.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 17-05-2019 at 02:09 PM.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Vale the Silver Bodgie

The Whitlam - Hawke - Keating governments changed the face of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Vale the Silver Bodgie

The Whitlam - Hawke - Keating governments changed the face of Australia
    Menzies also changed Australia but for ulterior reasons. He wanted the workers with education and a home so they would not turn to communism that was running amok after the Great Depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    RIP. Hawke did a lot of good for Australia. He probably ranks below only Howard and Menzies as best ever Australian PM. He implemented reforms that Howard had wanted but was stymied under that big-government fraud Fraser.
    It was only after Fraser was turfed out that I appreciated him - at least he stuck to his principles, completely opposite to Hawke.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    It was only after Fraser was turfed out that I appreciated him - at least he stuck to his principles, completely opposite to Hawke.
    In what way could Fraser could be characterised as sticking to his principles? Not to assume that he didn't....but good to see evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by simdeaf View Post
    In what way could Fraser could be characterised as sticking to his principles? Not to assume that he didn't....but good to see evidence.
    Going back 45 years if I really tried I could remember but living it through it at the time and being heavily involved in politics that was my conclusion at the time. If he said he would do something he would do it. In some important cases the opposite of Hawke, especially re export of uranium that was ALP policy and Hawke broke. I doubt that Whitlam would have reconciled with Fraser unless he seen a lot of good in Fraser so at Whitlam's memorial when they booed Fraser I yelled out that if Gough could forgive Fraser then so should we - then they went quiet.

It was only after Fraser was turfed out that I appreciated him - at least he stuck to his principles, ...
    that wasn't the case when he was caught with his pants down in that Memphis seedy joint!
    and what about when he disowned the party he led to start that Renew Australia (?) movement huh?
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    that wasn't the case when he was caught with his pants down in that Memphis seedy joint!
    and what about when he disowned the party he led to start that Renew Australia (?) movement huh?
    Re Renew Australia that I had not followed he is just showing that he has principles and is prepared to change with the times. If my memory is correct IMMIC his daughter Phoebe was an environmentalist. She conned him into saving Fraser Island IMMIC. At least he is not a dyed redneck that was common for his generation and still unfortunately for many subsequent generations as this board proves to my great disappointment.

You forget the bumper sticker at the times "Malcolm's wool keeps the Russians warm". He was a bit woolly on that issue. He can acknowledge that our survival is more important than a bulging wallet. Even completely uneducated native people recognise that but not the rich whites bathing in money up to their armpits like Scrooge McDuck whatever his name.

Maybe he was walking in Memphis and was seduced by Muriel playing the piano - he may have even met Stormy!
    Last edited by antichrist; 21-05-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Keating's eulogy was very good.
    meep meep

http://www.jwire.com.au/bob-hawke/

…..

As Australia’s Prime Minister between 1983 and 1991, Hawke brushed aside bureaucratic resistance from within the Department of Foreign Affairs to throw Australia’s support behind the international campaign for the right to emigrate of Jewish Refuseniks in the former Soviet Union. The campaign was led by the Australian Jewish community, most notably by Isi Leibler as President of the Executive Council of Australian Jewry, and gave tremendous heart to persecuted Soviet Jews, a key factor in the ultimate success of the campaign. Hawke’s energetic efforts on their behalf reportedly led the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine to plan to assassinate him.….
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It only took Hawke about 2 generations to realise that Israel was very wrong in attitude to Palestinians - he only realised when it was 40 years too late and after he had significantly assisted in making Israel impervious to reform. For many people it only took a brief glance at the facts/situation to work things out.

Going back 45 years if I really tried I could remember but living it through it at the time and being heavily involved in politics that was my conclusion at the time. If he said he would do something he would do it. In some important cases the opposite of Hawke, especially re export of uranium that was ALP policy and Hawke broke. I doubt that Whitlam would have reconciled with Fraser unless he seen a lot of good in Fraser so at Whitlam's memorial when they booed Fraser I yelled out that if Gough could forgive Fraser then so should we - then they went quiet.
    Good for you yelling out. Whether one agrees about Fraser or not, the booing was in very poor taste at a memorial service.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

...It only took Hawke about 2 generations to realise that Israel was very wrong in attitude to Palestinians - he only realised when it was 40 years too late and after he had significantly assisted in making Israel impervious to reform. For many people it only took a brief glance at the facts/situation to work things out.
    Much earlier than that. His 1987 trip to the Middle East reshaped his views.

When Israel turned Right, Hawke made a U-turn

Thread Information