CC Candidate Master

Cool What, Casey, no queen sac?

I've been spending the past year travelling the globe as a freelance writer, and finding a bit of time for chess along the way. There's a great park (Kennedy) in Lima, Peru where the hustlers congregate. I made a pittance there showing them the error of their ways, although they had a couple of players I'd put in the over-2000 category. Hard to get rich on 80 cents a game, though. In Cordoba, Spain, I found a nice little chess academy and had some great games with the locals there - super friendly and solid strength. The champion of Cordoba came by the second day and challenged me to some blitz (word gets around - there's a new gunslinger in town)- I'm pleased to report I didn't embarrass myself too much at all. Can't recall his name, but he was tough.

Unfortunately (and surprisingly), the chess scene in Budapest, Barcelona and Portugal was harder to come by than I envisioned. I'm currently in Romania (Transylvania), writing occasional travel articles, eating great food, enjoying views of the Carpathian mountains and enjoying the occasional chess bout on ICC, like this one (I was White):

1. e4 c5
    2. Nf3 g6
    3. d4 cxd4
    4. Nxd4 Bg7
    5.Nc3 Nc6
    6. Be3 Nf6
    7. Bc4 0-0
    8. Bb3 d6
    Apparently he knows about the famous Fischer-Reshevsky opening trap, so he didn't play Na5, allowing 9. e5 etc.
    9. f3 Na5
    10. Qd2 a6
    11. Bh6 Nxb3
    12. axb3 b5
    13. h4 Bb7
    14. Bxg7 Kxg7
    15. g4 h5
    16. gxh5 Nxh5
    17. 0-0-0 Rh8
    18. Rdg1 Qc7
    There was a threat, but this move doesn't answer it, unfortunately...
    19. Rxg6+! 1-0

Bamboozle-ectomy alert. Possibly a premature resignation, but taking with the f-pawn loses the queen to a fork, and taking with the king loses to a crushing queen check on g5. A king retreat to f8 still leaves Black with an ugly game a pawn down with nothing but grisly grovelling prospects in store.

Off to Brasov, Romania next, followed by Varna on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. I imagine some unsuspecting Bulgarians may be able to be coerced into a chess game or two... .

Cheers,
    Kevin Casey
    Last edited by Sheroff; 13-05-2019 at 01:02 AM.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheroff View Post
    Unfortunately (and surprisingly), the chess scene in Budapest, Barcelona and Portugal was harder to come by than I envisioned.

Cheers,
    Kevin Casey
    Nice Game.
    Re Budapest, they had plenty of chess clubs back in the late 80s/early90s. Some may still be around.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    PGN Viewer

PGN Viewer

“If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Thread Information