Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Denis Jessop 1935-2019

ACF President Gary Wastell has advised me that Denis Jessop (b. 25-11-1935) passed away on 5 May aged 83. Denis was a Life Member of the ACF, served as ACF President for one term 2005-6, and was on the ACF Council for well over a decade (probably longer before my time) in various positions. Denis was also ACF Newsletter Editor for a few years, and was awarded the Koshnitsky Medallion for services to chess administration in 2008. He was also a much respected poster on this forum, making 3332 posts here, the last of them a few months ago. Some of Denis's early chess history in the ACT can be seen in his history of the Canberra Chess Club.

Denis's legal expertise was of great use to the ACF in many tricky situations that arose during his time on Council. He did a great amount of work on the restructuring and revising of ACF By-Laws and other rules and continued to assist the ACF with legal matters and until very recently as Public Officer after his time on Council.

Denis was a very sensible and likeable person and one of the best friends I have had in chess administration. I may add more comments later.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 10-05-2019 at 07:20 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    ACF President Gary Wastell has advised me that Denis Jessop (b. 25-11-1935) passed away on 5 May aged 83. Denis was a Life Member of the ACF, served as ACF President for one term 2005-6, and was on the ACF Council for well over a decade (possibly longer) in various positions. Denis was also ACF Newsletter Editor for a few years, and was awarded the Koshnitsky Medallion for services to chess administration in 2008. He was also a much respected poster on this forum, making 3332 posts here, the last of them a few months ago. Some of Denis's early chess history in the ACT can be seen in his history of the Canberra Chess Club.

Denis's legal expertise was of great use to the ACF in many tricky situations that arose during his time on Council. He did a great amount of work on the restructuring and revising of ACF By-Laws and other rules and continued to assist the ACF with legal matters and until very recently as Public Officer after his time on Council.

Denis was a very sensible and likeable person and one of the best friends I have had in chess administration. I may add more comments later.
    So sorry to hear that. RIP.
    I can recall chatting to Denis some years ago (not many) and he appeared to be enjoying his retirement years.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

RIP Denis.

I never met him in person but he seemed a decent fellow ChessChatter.

Garrett.

CC FIDE Master
    Denis was one of the nicest people in the Canberra chess scene. I first came across him when I began playing in the adults clubs and he was always encouraging myself and otherwise to continue being involved and working towards improvement. He was always happy to help and happy to have a laugh and a chat with anyone. He will definitely be sorely missed. RIP Denis.

Rest in peace Denis. A great worker for chess, and a nice guy.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Grandmaster
    I didn't have much interaction with him on Chess Chat, and I don't believe I ever met him in person either. But he seemed like a genuinely nice person. RIP.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Rest in peace Denis. A great worker for chess, and a nice guy.
    Yes, sad news of Dennis’ passing. As others have stated, he was a nice guy and always offered sensible advice, particularly on legal matters. I think he was in Victoria for a while, and perhaps was VCA Secretary sometime in the 1960’s, so his service to chess administration covered many decades including handling the incorporation of the ACF and acting as its Public Officer for many years. May he rest in peace.
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

Saddened to read the news about Denis's passing.

I enjoyed our continuous arguments about everything under the sun incl.

• Football
    • Bicycling (I stood no chance but hey)
    • History of Australian Chess

you name it!

Highlights of our friendship

• Sending you autographed copies of Bob Brookings' books on MMC history as requested
    • Listening and taking notes of your recollections of St Kilda Chess Club

RIP mate!
    Last edited by ER; 11-05-2019 at 04:53 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

DJ's moments

Anecdotal references to Australian chess by Denis.
    Here's one from a bit more than three years ago on ChessChat:

Kevin Bonham inquired:
    Other kinds of cheating probably did exist in those days, eg hiding notes about openings or a pocket set in one's pocket to move pieces around on, and then referring to either in the toilets. Just much less effective than Stockfish. Was anyone ever caught doing these things? I've heard apocryphally that they did sometimes happen at lower levels.

Denis Jessop responded:

It happened in the Doeberl Cup in the 1970s though nobody was caught. Toilet paper with extensive analysis was found in a cubicle in one case while in another somebody tore a page from a copy of MCO out for sale on Peter Parr's book-seller's table.
    DJ

Another instance we spent some time together was maybe 4-5 years ago in Sydney during an ACF agm

After the famous draw b/n G. Wastell and B. Jones for the federation's presidency (*)
    Denis challenged Kevin Botham for another position (was it vice presidency? I can't recall)

The result was rather catastrophic for Denis! Afterwards, I really rubbed it in mercilessly during tea!
    DJ took it philosophically:

I was so sure I was going to lose, I even voted against myself was his response (**)

(*) Brian withdrew from the challenge in favour of Garry not wanting to win or lose on the toss of a coin!
    His gesture was greatly appreciated by all!

(**) I remember that when he gave his candidate's speech his voice was so weak I could hardly hear what
    he was saying despite sitting right next to him.
    Last edited by ER; 11-05-2019 at 04:55 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Dennis challenged Kevin Botham for another position (was it vice presidency? I can't recall)
    Kevin Botham, nah, my bowling's not that good!

Just to clarify re this, Denis and I were both incumbent Vice-Presidents and we both renominated, but Leonid Sandler also nominated creating a three-way ballot for two positions. I was elected on the first ballot (on which Denis indeed didn't vote for himself!) leaving Denis vs Leonid for the second ballot which Leonid won.

CC FIDE Master
    SAD news ...

When I for the first time played in the Australian Open (Canberra 2001), he was one of the arbiters and after the last round was finished, he told me that he liked my ARSENAL-shirts.

In December 2008 I met him "random" in Canberra at the photoshop (next to the streetchess area) and we agreed that it was a small world.

Both at chesschat and personal at facebook, he helped me, when I from time to time put up some chessnerd questions. One more time, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

HVIL I FRED/REST IN PEACE.

CC Grandmaster
    Does anyone know cause of death?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    A great pity RIP.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Sad news indeed. In my dealings with Denis he was always a gentleman and knowledgable in so many areas. RIP, Denis.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

I had never met Denis but we did communicate occasionally by PM, of course he wasn't one my fans but he always responded respectfully and in a friendly manner.
    Last edited by antichrist; 13-05-2019 at 11:12 PM.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Thread Information