Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    Guys,

Actually, Bill is correct on this point. This is why organisers should clearly give details well in advance along with if it is a norm tournament or not. If the State Championship is unsure about this, it should be register as a norm event to be on the safe side even if it does not meet the norm requirements in the end.

Bill, well spotted and informing us of this. This becomes a good lesson for organisers out there.

lost
    Also, I think even if it would be registered as an IM tournament, scoring a norm would be tricky as:
    only 5 non Aus players out of 24 and one has to play at least 4 of them.
    Must get to play all 3 of the IMs
    2 of the international players are under 2000 so getting to play a field of players where rating of opponents is over 2250 would not be easy.

Or well...at least there would be a chance!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    Another interesting question is, would be good to have state champs as an IM event but how do the organizers know in advance that when inviting entries to play in a swiss they will get enough international players.
    This challenge is probably by no means unique to state champs. I can imagine that in Europe (where you can suddenly get many players from neighboring countries entering) it is quite common.

Also, this year is the first time in many years that it has been possible to have an IM norm set. Does it mean that from next year onwards, the organizers should register the state champs as an IM norm event in advance, even if having it run as an IM norm event is unlikely due to the lack of foreign players/IMs etc?

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Another interesting question is, would be good to have state champs as an IM event but how do the organizers know in advance that when inviting entries to play in a swiss they will get enough international players.
    This challenge is probably by no means unique to state champs. I can imagine that in Europe (where you can suddenly get many players from neighboring countries entering) it is quite common.

Also, this year is the first time in many years that it has been possible to have an IM norm set. Does it mean that from next year onwards, the organizers should register the state champs as an IM norm event in advance, even if having it run as an IM norm event is unlikely due to the lack of foreign players/IMs etc?
    One of the things that I believe should be done is have a list of all foreign players and yes we do on the ACF rating list, but we should have this done by State so we can encourage them to join State Championships if possible which is a way to attract potential norm seekers the opportunities for norms.

An idea would be to have a list of all foreign players per State and this is a recommendation to the ACF Council.

lost

CC Candidate Master
    Fantastic to see Guy West Making a comeback!
    7 out of top 12 seeds are 50+!
    Thanks, Michael.
    I know from past comebacks of eminent players like Mike Woodhams, Robert Jamieson, Colin Morris and so forth that it will probably end in tears!
    Fortunately I don't have to worry about my rating any more as I am not likely to apply for anything where it matters.
    I'm quite pleased though that I'm not the only decrepit old specimen in the tournament.

Are the pairings going to be done in advance, or only on the day in case of late changes to the field?

CC FIDE Master

Even if one player had the top 9 players in the field and the arbiter had rigged the draw for such a thing to happen for one of the foreign players for example, not saying the arbiter would do this, it is not possible to get an IM norm for the event based on average rating of the top 9 players in the tournament. So the tournament has no IM norms at all and this can be done with a simple check.

lost

Did something go wrong with the DGT boards? Apparently Guy played on one today but I couldn't find live games so assumed there were none.

CC International Master

Round 1 Results

Code:
    2019 Victorian Championship: Pairing of round 1, at 4:00pm of 16/06/2019

===================================================================================
      1 = Beaumont,David       ( 0.0) - Goldenberg,Igor      ( 0.0) =  12 -   1 = 0 - 1
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      2 = Wallis,Christopher   ( 0.0) - Khaled,Omar          ( 0.0) =   2 -  13 = 1 - 0
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      3 = Ilic,Nicholas        ( 0.0) - Rujevic,Mirko        ( 0.0) =  14 -   3 = 0 - 1
      4 = Nemeth,John          ( 0.0) - Lim,Christopher      ( 0.0) =   4 -  16 = 1 - 0
      5 = Lim,Cassandra        ( 0.0) - West,Guy             ( 0.0) =  17 -   5 = 0 - 1
      6 = Lekkas,Frank         ( 0.0) - Dissanayake,Himath   ( 0.0) =   7 -  18 = 1 - 0
      7 = Datar,Tejas          ( 0.0) - Soo,Kai Jie          ( 0.0) =  19 -   8 = 0 - 1
      8 = Levi,Eddy L          ( 0.0) - Davis,Tony J         ( 0.0) =   9 -  21 = 1 - 0
      9 = Zillmann,Shawn       ( 0.0) - Hamilton,Douglas G   ( 0.0) =  22 -  10 = 0 - 1
     10 = Hacche,David J       ( 0.0) - Poberezovsky,Daniel  ( 0.0) =  11 -  23 = ˝ - ˝
     11 = Chmiel,Rad           ( 0.0) - ( bye )              ( 0.0) =  24 -   0 = 1    
     12 = Gorka,Carl           ( 0.0) - ( half point bye )   ( 0.0) =   6 -   0 = ˝    
     13 = Wang,Kayson          ( 0.0) - ( half point bye )   ( 0.0) =  15 -   0 = ˝    
     14 = Zou,Brendan          ( 0.0) - ( half point bye )   ( 0.0) =  20 -   0 = ˝    

I can see guys game on the dgt board.go to the bhcc website, they're uploaded there.
    [Today 11:14 PM] Firegoat7: "Please be civil to young Lekkas, otherwise I am going to have to make Voodoo"
    [Today 11:16 PM] Firegoat7: furthermore u can add " I as got the dolls and I noes how ta use em"

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lekko View Post
    I can see guys game on the dgt board.go to the bhcc website, they're uploaded there.
    Thanks! Its on BHCC site, MCC has to do a better job of posting games or uploading top board games

Quote Originally Posted by Lekko View Post
    Ah, okay, thanks Frank. So they were shown live, just no post about it?

Quote Originally Posted by sniperaussie View Post
    Thanks! Its on BHCC site, MCC has to do a better job of posting games or uploading top board games
    MCC doesn't have an operating DGT board so it is tougher for arbiters to get the games out there unless they are submitted for brilliancy prizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Watto View Post
    Ah, okay, thanks Frank. So they were shown live, just no post about it?
    Possibly. Box Hill tends to have all their tournaments live, with most of the top boards being broadcast. The guys down there do a great job of getting the top games online and live.
    [Today 11:14 PM] Firegoat7: "Please be civil to young Lekkas, otherwise I am going to have to make Voodoo"
    [Today 11:16 PM] Firegoat7: furthermore u can add " I as got the dolls and I noes how ta use em"

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperaussie View Post
    It is not clear to me, why MCC should do a ''better job'' transmitting games from a tournament that is not even held there. Vic Champs is played in Box Hill!

CC Rookie
    I meant posting the games played at MCC. Sorry if that didn’t convey. 2019 Victorian Open is one such example in the recent past where we haven’t seen games posted.

CC Candidate Master
    I'm a bit out of it these days, so can someone please advise as to pairings?
    Are they going to be posted here or on the Vic Championship web page? And when?
    Thanks.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gattaca View Post
    I'm a bit out of it these days, so can someone please advise as to pairings?
    Are they going to be posted here or on the Vic Championship web page? And when?
    Thanks.
    Hi Guy,
    The pairings will be posted on Chesschat on Friday mornings. Players have up to Thursday COB to indicate if they require a bye.
    If any player requires a bye, please contact me (Arbiter - Peter Tsai via email chess@t-s-a-i.com or text 0419324870)

Thread Information