Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC International Master

Steiner medal (sf Doeberl 2019)

One more thing I suppose. Anton received his 4-th Steiner medal yesterday. The funny part is that there was no announcement, no presentation, literally nothing.

He was just privately passed the medal before the final presentation. It feels like the value of this medal nowdays is literally zero. Maybe it should be abolished?

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Congrats for the medal anyway
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    One more thing I suppose. Anton received his 4-th Steiner medal yesterday. The funny part is that there was no announcement, no presentation, literally nothing.

He was just privately passed the medal before the final presentation. It feels like the value of this medal nowdays is literally zero. Maybe it should be abolished?
    Maybe the organisation that failed to organise a proper awards ceremony should be abolished.
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

CC International Master
    I think you'll find that the timing of the award was a one-off (or intended to be). Because the 2019 Aust Open was held entirely in 2018 it was required to be taken into account for the medals, so they couldn't be presented at the closing ceremony for the tournament.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    I think you'll find that the timing of the award was a one-off (or intended to be). Because the 2019 Aust Open was held entirely in 2018 it was required to be taken into account for the medals, so they couldn't be presented at the closing ceremony for the tournament.
    But if you are giving a medal and there is ''a'' ceremony taking place at the venue of the Medal being given...i think incorporating presentation of the medial into the ceremony is logical.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    But if you are giving a medal and there is ''a'' ceremony taking place at the venue of the Medal being given...i think incorporating presentation of the medial into the ceremony is logical.
    Yes - I wasn't debating the point, just providing some background that might be of interest.

CC Candidate Master

I think some clarification is called for. As President of the ACTCA I somehow managed to get involved and have a clear recollection of events.

The Doeberl Cup 2019 organisers (O2C) graciously incorporated an ACF Medal Awards Ceremony into the official opening ceremony that took place in the playing hall at the scheduled time of 1230 hours 19 April.

The ACF was represented by ACF President Gary Wastell who approached me prior to the ceremony asking if I knew of the whereabouts of Anton Smirnov (2018 Steiner Medal winner) and Albert Winkelman (2018 Arlauskas Medal winner).

I searched the venue but was unable to find Anton. The Medal Awards Ceremony proceeded in his absence, with winners announced and Albert Winkelman duly handed his medal.

Gary Wastell handed the Steiner Medal to me to take care of.

When the time came for the Doeberl Cup Prize Ceremony my request to incorporate another attempt at presenting the Steiner Medal award into the ceremony was declined. So I stepped up to Anton Smirnov, offered congratulations, shook his hand, and handed him the medal.

Job done, as far as I was concerned. The announcement had been made (at the opening ceremony) and the medal was in the hands of the winner.

I'd like to take the opportunity to point out that the Doeberl Cup organisers do a magnificent job. They lose money on the event every year and receive no financial support from the ACF.

CC International Master
    Nobody told us about the intended prize giving during the opening ceremony and as we have attended it multiple times over the years, we did not expect anything happening at the ceremony. This is the main reason why we did not come to the ceremony. We were told later to come to the closing ceremony but as the previous poster explained, the organizers were against presenting this award during the closing ceremony.

The reason why giving prizes in the opening ceremony is not great from our point of view is as follows. It is very hard to play/concentrate after you receive an award. Anton received a similar award at the beginning of Doerbel last year and he had one of the worst performances in the recent years. The performance by Albert this year (after the opening ceremony prize giving) was not great either.

I am sure this issue would not come up in the Ballarat tournament. Unfortunately, this year Anton is in year 12 and his chess activities are very limited.

I add my congratulations to Anton. 4 wins in a row is a huge achievement.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    I add my congratulations to Anton. 4 wins in a row is a huge achievement.
    Although he has won it 4 times, he hasn't won it 4 times in a row.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by camc View Post
    I'd like to take the opportunity to point out that the Doeberl Cup organisers do a magnificent job. They lose money on the event every year and receive no financial support from the ACF.
    That said, they don't ask for any either.

Nobody told us about the intended prize giving during the opening ceremony and as we have attended it multiple times over the years, we did not expect anything happening at the ceremony.
    Are you sure nobody told you? You never received any email about it before the event?

Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    Maybe the organisation that failed to organise a proper awards ceremony should be abolished.
    Maybe comments that take one side of an issue without waiting to find out if there is another should be abolished.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Maybe comments that take one side of an issue without waiting to find out if there is another should be abolished.
    The other side of the issue being that the ACF organised an awards ceremony without ensuring that the award recipient would be in attendance! Hardly re-assuring. A similar instance to when the ACF tried to award Ian Rogers a life membership without ensuring he would accept it. How did that work out for you?
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Are you sure nobody told you? You never received any email about it before the event?
    Just checked my email and apparently I did receive an email from Gary Wastell early March, 1.5 month before the event.

When I asked Gary Wastell straight after the opening ceremony, he said that he only indicated in his earlier email that the award ceremony would be during the Doerbel tournament. This was the reason why I thought we had no agreement. But this also tell me that he did not remember what was written in his email himself.

Do you Keven often expect other people to remember things that happened 2 months ago? I would say that practically 99% percent of people would have trouble remembering something like that. I normally give reminders a few days before the event and still at least 50% of people fail to notice.

Thread Information