CC Candidate Master

Making the move with one hand and writing it down with the other.

Hi to all. Sorry if this has been asked before.
    Is it allowed by the rules to make the move on the board and press the clock with one hand, but write it down with the other hand?
    Greetings.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepechuy View Post
    Hi to all. Sorry if this has been asked before.
    Is it allowed by the rules to make the move on the board and press the clock with one hand, but write it down with the other hand?
    Greetings.
    Yes, it is allowed.

Because you can press the clock before writing your move, and hence are not writing in your own time anyway, there is no particular benefit.

CC Candidate Master
    There are also, I suspect, plenty of chess players who, for example, always make their chess moves with their left hand, yet also ALWAYS write with their right. I'm one of them. This is, I think, a result of being originally left-handed, and 'encouraged' by primary school teachers to get into the habit of writing right-handed. I play tennis with my left, and hold a fork with my right. Go figure....

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Just use the same hand that makes the move to press the clock - no one cares which hand you use to write the move down!

(As far as I understand it, under the rules, there's nothing stoping you doing a Mr Squiggle and writing your move upside down with a texta attached to your nose).
    Last edited by ElevatorEscapee; 10-08-2019 at 10:16 PM.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheroff View Post
    There are also, I suspect, plenty of chess players who, for example, always make their chess moves with their left hand, yet also ALWAYS write with their right. I'm one of them.
    I'm another, but I was never left-handed; indeed I'm a particularly right-handed person generally. So much so that when I was young I always wanted to hold a fork in my right hand (holding it left-handed didn't make any sense to me). I also wear my watch on my right hand, causing people to wrongly think I'm left-handed.

Possibly I move and write with different hands as a result of having played a lot of rated chess at relatively fast time controls like 60/0 and 60/3, and also I will often record rapid games (at least up to a point).

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee View Post
    Just use the same hand that makes the move to press the clock - no one cares which hand you use to write the move down!

(As far as I understand it, under the rules, there's nothing stoping you doing a Mr Squiggle and writing your move upside down with a texta attached to your nose).
    Only if that was the only way that one could possible write moves. Otherwise one could be accused of distracting an opponent. All up to the arbiters I guess.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Thread Information