View Poll Results: WHO WILL WIN? (THIS POLL ASKS WHO WILL WIN, NOT WHO DO YOU WANT TO WIN)

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Coalition by >30 seats

0 0%
  • Coalition by 16-30 seats

0 0%
  • Coalition by 15 or fewer seats [CORRECT]

4 33.33%
  • Hung parliament

0 0%
  • Labor by 15 or fewer seats

6 50.00%
  • Labor by 16-30 seats

1 8.33%
  • Labor by >30 seats

1 8.33%
Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    And if not for Union...why would pay be less for me..i would simply do something else...or get paid more by having more scope for individual negotiations.
    Since you don't like unions, have you asked your employer if you can negotiate an individual contract with them with negotiated rates of pay?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Since you don't like unions, have you asked your employer if you can negotiate an individual contract with them with negotiated rates of pay?
    Some university are not able to due to legal restrictions (thx to government) so scope for negotiation is limited...and its bad as I am pretty sure I would get more money if not for that.

Re negotiating whatever is possible - I do it all the time. More often successfully rather than unsuccessfully. My experiences discussing workplace arrangements are mostly positive.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Very good. Evidently she was an outstanding president of the Box Hill Chess Club, and her daughter Sally Yu was Australian U-18 Girls champ. See also ER's five-part interview with her.

Edit: see also ER's post about Gladys earlier on this thread.
    Truly a community person who knows people in her electorate and understands their concerns.

CC International Master
    Adani mine: work on project could start in just three weeks

Adani could start building its controversial coalmine in just three weeks, after besieged Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk declared she’d had a “gutful” of delays in her own government’s approvals of the project.

Ms Palaszczuk today said there had been a “breakthrough” in the impasse over Adani, declaring in Cairns that the deadline for a decision on Adani’s management plan for the endangered black-throated finch was May 31, while the decision on the company’s groundwater strategy would occur on June 13.

If both plans are signed off on by Queensland government officials, the company expects it will be able to break ground on the proposed Carmichael coal mine in central Queensland in as few as three weeks.

After months of refusing to intervene, Ms Palaszczuk on Wednesday declared she was “fed up” with her own government’s processes, and said the federal election result in Queensland had been a “wake-up call” on Adani. Federal Labor was thumped in the state at the weekend poll, losing two seats and suffering a plunge in its primary vote.

The result sparked an internal revolt from state Labor MPs, particularly those based in jobs-starved regional Queensland, who said their voters were demanding certainty on Adani.

CC International Master
    Truly a community person who knows people in her electorate and understands their concerns.
    Legal battle possible in Chisholm

Labor and the Greens are considering whether or not to join legal action being pursued by independent Kooyong candidate Oliver Yates, in a case that could have implications for the Liberals’ narrow win in the Victorian seat of Chisholm.

Liberal Gladys Liu is 1,386 votes ahead in the eastern Melbourne seat, but her Labor counterpart Jennifer Yang is yet to concede defeat.

Mr Yates has threatened to take the Liberal Party to the Court of Disputed Returns over Chinese language signs, designed to resemble purple and white Australian Electoral Commission material, which told Chinese voters “the correct voting method” was to put a “1” next to the Liberal candidate and number the rest of the boxes from lowest to highest.

CC Candidate Master Blunderbuss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    Adani could start building its controversial coalmine in just three weeks, after besieged Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk declared she’d had a “gutful” of delays in her own government’s approvals of the project.
    The math on Adani Carmichael coal mine doesn-t add up makes for an interesting read. The mine is currently one sixth of the original proposal but is seems David Fickling still reckons the maths is all wrong.

I'm guessing Annastacia Palaszczuk has also had a 'gutful' of News Corp putting her in 'crosshairs'.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blunderbuss View Post
    The math on Adani Carmichael coal mine doesn-t add up makes for an interesting read. The mine is currently one sixth of the original proposal but is seems David Fickling still reckons the maths is all wrong.

I'm guessing Annastacia Palaszczuk has also had a 'gutful' of News Corp putting her in 'crosshairs'.
    If Adani does its dough, then Adani does its dough. As the article says: Adani has promised to fund the project from its own balance sheet.

I do think that, if it happens, they should offer a Bob Brown scholarship, since, without the help of Bob and his merry band of fossil powered greenies, the project might never have happened.

CC Grandmaster
    If Adani does its dough, then Adani does its dough. As the article says: Adani has promised to fund the project from its own balance sheet.
    Unfortunately, it's not only Adani that will lose money:
    The Queensland Government is offering major financial subsidies to Adani’s coal project, including a secret deal on royalties worth hundreds of millions and a free access road worth $100 million, shows a new report from The Australia Institute. The report estimates the royalty deal will lend Adani between $215 million to $385 million, on terms the Government is still keeping entirely secret.

I do think that, if it happens, they should offer a Bob Brown scholarship, since, without the help of Bob and his merry band of fossil powered greenies, the project might never have happened.
    Time will tell I guess let’s reconvene back here for the 2022 election. Did you read the note attached to the section you quoted? It reads: -

To some extent we can leave debt costs aside if Adani does self-fund. Even then, though, the numbers fail to stack up: On the extremely generous assumption that Adani can fund it with cash alone and bear no finance costs, net operating profit after tax would still amount to $70 million – a 3.7% return on $1.9 billion of invested capital. Any return below about 8% represents economic losses; Adani could make twice as much buying Indian 10-year government bonds.

CC Grandmaster
    Legal battle possible in Chisholm

Labor and the Greens are considering whether or not to join legal action being pursued by independent Kooyong candidate Oliver Yates, in a case that could have implications for the Liberals’ narrow win in the Victorian seat of Chisholm.

Liberal Gladys Liu is 1,386 votes ahead in the eastern Melbourne seat, but her Labor counterpart Jennifer Yang is yet to concede defeat.

Mr Yates has threatened to take the Liberal Party to the Court of Disputed Returns over Chinese language signs, designed to resemble purple and white Australian Electoral Commission material, which told Chinese voters “the correct voting method” was to put a “1” next to the Liberal candidate and number the rest of the boxes from lowest to highest.
    Yep, I've seen this and did discuss with my Chinese friends.

Apart from the fact that Chinese community (hardworking people who care more about taxes than climate change) is more likely to support Liberal Party agenda, some are feeling quite annoyed that by implying that they are so easy to ''fool'' they are being taken for ''stupids'' who can not tell what is going on and consequently do not vote the way they would otherwise.

... who care more about taxes than climate change...
    Is that a good thing?

I wonder if the miss-direction on how to vote is something that comes with compulsory voting. I know it’s boring when I constantly compare everything with the UK, but I have to say I’m shocked at the bare faced lies told by all sides in this campaign. Then again now I stop to think about it Heres-how-spectacularly-wrong-the-brexit-bus-350million-lie-was maybe it’s nothing to do with the UK/compulsory voting.
    Last edited by Blunderbuss; 24-05-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    https://kevinbonham.blogspot.com/201...ustralian.html

The Miracle Is Over: The 2019 Federal Election Polling Fail

(rather long)
    And another one:

http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com/2019...e-polling.html

Oh No This Wasn't Just An "Average Polling Fail"

In which I have a bit of a go at Nate Silver et al.

"We will decide what polls have failed in this country and the circumstances in which they have failed."

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)

Labor alienated Christians to its cost

GOOD LORD, WHERE DID LABOR GO?
    Canberra Declaration

The Australian Labor Party has abandoned Aussies of faith. This is the story being told by media outlets as diverse as the Sydney Morning Herald, The Australian, SBS, Nine News and the ABC, in the fallout from Labor’s shock election loss.

Labor’s own Chris Bowen agrees. Pulling out of Labor’s leadership contest, he reflected that, “During the election campaign… it has been raised with me that people of faith no longer feel that progressive politics cares about them.” In a gesture to the faithful—and a rebuke to his colleagues—he declared, “We need to tackle this urgently.”

Labor does need to tackle this urgently. If May 18 taught us anything, it is this: Australia is still a country deeply shaped by faith, and any political party or prospective PM that ignores this fact will pay the price at the polling booth.

The ALP has traditionally appealed to the working class because of their strong stance on welfare and workers’ rights. As such, they would normally win huge support in Labor heartlands like Western Sydney and the blue collar strongholds of Queensland, where voters have the most to gain from their policies.

But it’s precisely here that huge swings were recorded against Labor. And as analysts have pointed out, it’s precisely here that religious voters are also well represented.

Australia needs to know that the ALP is committed to religious freedom. In theory, Labor supported the Ruddock review, but unlike the Coalition, they didn’t commit to any of the inquiry’s recommendations.

In the lead-up to the election, Labor also set themselves in opposition to religious schools, moving against their right to choose staff who teach their values. When Christian leaders wrote to both major party leaders for clarity around religious freedom, Bill Shorten didn’t respond.

Finally, Labor would do well to demonstrate to people of faith that they’re a valued and respected part of mainstream society. This is about more than Bill Shorten’s ‘Christian-shaming’, mentioned earlier.

Shorten should have learnt from Kevin Rudd, himself a Christian. For the most part, Rudd had a great track record of giving voice to people of faith. But consider the words of the ABC’s Andrew West on Kevin Rudd’s demise:

“Then, on the eve of his thumping defeat at the 2013 election, Rudd went on ABC’s Q&A program. In response to a question from a pastor―asked more in sorrow than anger―about why Rudd had changed his position on same-sex marriage, Rudd tried to humiliate the man, almost spitting the word ‘mate’ at him.”

Simply put, Aussies vote against anyone who treats them with contempt—and Australians of faith are no exception to this. As John Wilson, moderator-general for the Presbyterian Church of Australia, has said, ordinary Australians want “a country where it’s okay to disagree and express that disagreement, to hold opposing views and not be marginalised for it.”

None of this should be a big ask for the ALP.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    GOOD LORD, WHERE DID LABOR GO?

The Australian Labor Party has abandoned Aussies of faith. This is the story being told by media outlets as diverse as the Sydney Morning Herald, The Australian, SBS, Nine News and the ABC, in the fallout from Labor’s shock election loss....…
    So how come the Mad Monk got rolled?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    So how come the Mad Monk got rolled?
    Abbott was rolled because the junior LNP sub-operative group 'Get-up' was deployed to rid them of their major divisor without installing an ALP candidate, ensuring a return to a LNP candidate at the next election.

By the way, 'Get-up' was also engaged in Dickson to ensure one of the best ever home affairs ministers was retained.

Thread Information