View Poll Results: WHO WILL WIN? (THIS POLL ASKS WHO WILL WIN, NOT WHO DO YOU WANT TO WIN)

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Coalition by >30 seats

    0 0%
  • Coalition by 16-30 seats

    0 0%
  • Coalition by 15 or fewer seats [CORRECT]

    4 33.33%
  • Hung parliament

    0 0%
  • Labor by 15 or fewer seats

    6 50.00%
  • Labor by 16-30 seats

    1 8.33%
  • Labor by >30 seats

    1 8.33%
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast
Results 511 to 525 of 526
  1. #511
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,469
    The Coalition's 'retiree tax': "He rejected a question pointing out that the Coalition had spent an election campaign slamming Labor for a “retiree tax” at the same time as over estimating the income of pensioners via deeming rates."

  2. #512
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    The Coalition's 'retiree tax': "He rejected a question pointing out that the Coalition had spent an election campaign slamming Labor for a “retiree tax” at the same time as over estimating the income of pensioners via deeming rates."
    My deeming rate is being reduced to 1%, which is now a little less than my savings rate.

  3. #513
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,469
    Leaving it until the last minute, there have been three challenges to the results of the election:
    Michael Staindl, a resident of Kooyong, filed a petition on Wednesday alleging the treasurer and deputy Liberal leader is disqualified by section 44(1) of the constitution because he is a citizen of Hungary, which Frydenberg denies. The allegation on the final day for petitions to be filed against the 2019 election results came on top of two challenges against Liberal MP Gladys Liu in Chisholm and Frydenberg over Chinese language signs that told voters “the correct voting method” was to put a “1” next to the Liberal candidate.
    Liu may be in trouble if a by-election is triggered, but Frydenberg should be safe.

  4. #514
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    39,310
    https://kevinbonham.blogspot.com/201...ten-cause.html
    Did A Late Switch-Off From Shorten Cause Labor To Lose?
    Spoiler: Nope.
    My take on the ANU vote-switching study and some claims being made about it.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  5. #515
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    13,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    https://kevinbonham.blogspot.com/201...ten-cause.html
    Did A Late Switch-Off From Shorten Cause Labor To Lose?
    Spoiler: Nope.
    My take on the ANU vote-switching study and some claims being made about it.
    Given that the polls were wrong for all this time, was Turnbull rolled for being behind in the polls when he wsan't? Was Abbott? Or was it not that long.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

  6. #516
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    39,310
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Given that the polls were wrong for all this time, was Turnbull rolled for being behind in the polls when he wsan't? Was Abbott? Or was it not that long.
    It's unclear but the national polls were correct in 2013 and 2016, so I suspect that the polls went astray after the switch from Turnbull to Morrison and I suspect that the particular reason for that is that apathetic voters broke strongly for Morrison while educated/politically engaged voters broke to Labor. Whether the polls went wrong immediately on the switch of leaders, or only during the campaign, or some mix of the two I don't know - suspect the latter.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  7. #517
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Given that the polls were wrong for all this time, was Turnbull rolled for being behind in the polls when he wsan't? Was Abbott? Or was it not that long.
    Mr. Turnbull declared that the Longman by-election should be seen as a referendum between himself and Mr. Shorten. Following the loss of Longman, the parliamentary wing of his party decided that enough was enough. He had claimed personal electoral popularity as one of the reasons he should be given the job. Following the loss of (I think) 14 seats at the 2016 election, and the subsequent loss of almost 40 Newspolls in a row, and the broader results of those 'Super-Saturday' by-elections, he showed all his natural flair for politics by spilling the leadership. Mr. Turnbull was quite popular with those who never vote for the coalition, but for coalition voters he was as popular as he had been as Head Prefect of Sydney Grammar (when another Sydney Grammar Old Boy - Billy McMahon - was leading the country).

  8. #518
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,469
    Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    ... Mr. Turnbull was quite popular with those who never vote for the coalition, but for coalition voters he was as popular as he had been as Head Prefect of Sydney Grammar (when another Sydney Grammar Old Boy - Billy McMahon - was leading the country).
    He was obviously popular enough with Coalition voters to win the 2016 election.

  9. #519
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    He was obviously popular enough with Coalition voters to win the 2016 election.
    Disliking the Head Prefect doesn't always result in the good burghers of Vaucluse and Point Piper sending their children to Summerhill!

  10. #520
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    13,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    It's unclear but the national polls were correct in 2013 and 2016, so I suspect that the polls went astray after the switch from Turnbull to Morrison and I suspect that the particular reason for that is that apathetic voters broke strongly for Morrison while educated/politically engaged voters broke to Labor. Whether the polls went wrong immediately on the switch of leaders, or only during the campaign, or some mix of the two I don't know - suspect the latter.
    Thanks yes that makes sense.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

  11. #521
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    ... and I suspect that the particular reason for that is that apathetic voters broke strongly for Morrison while educated/politically engaged voters broke to Labor..
    Fabulous. It’s this type of assessment underpinning Labor strategy and tea leaf reading which has fed into Labor winning just one federal election in the past quarter of a century. Not counting the extra run they picked up with the 3 amigos.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  12. #522
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    Fabulous. It’s this type of assessment underpinning Labor strategy and tea leaf reading which has fed into Labor winning just one federal election in the past quarter of a century. Not counting the extra run they picked up with the 3 amigos.
    Which doesn't mean that what Kevin (who is not a Labor strategist - as far as I know!) said isn't true, of course.

  13. #523
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    39,310
    To clarify, what I suspect is that both tertiary-educated voters and politics junkies (who are basically the same people) broke to Labor by more compared to other voters than they usually do (partly because of climate change concerns and partly because this PM doesn't speak their language), and that pollsters over-sampled these highly engaged voters and failed to control their samples for it. The other main possibility is that the final polls were simply nonsense and they were all just copying each other and their own previous polls.

    I wasn't expressing a preference - generally I don't care who wins so long as it isn't (i) Abbott types or (ii) preference-gaming micro-parties.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  14. #524
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    20,768
    IPA Welcomes Red Tape Reduction Vision
    Daniel Wild 12 September 2019

    “Assistant Minister to the Prime Minister Ben Morton has today outlined an ambitious economic reform agenda based on cutting red tape and supporting small businesses across Australia”, said Daniel Wild, Director of Research with the free-market think tank the Institute of Public Affairs.

    “Cutting red tape will allow more young Australians to realise their dream of starting their own business,” said Mr Wild.

    IPA research estimated that red tape costs the Australian economy $176 billion each year in terms of foregone economic output. This estimate captures all of the businesses which are never started, the jobs never created, and the pay rises which never occur because of red tape.
    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

  15. #525
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    13,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    IPA Welcomes Red Tape Reduction Vision
    Daniel Wild 12 September 2019

    “Assistant Minister to the Prime Minister Ben Morton has today outlined an ambitious economic reform agenda based on cutting red tape and supporting small businesses across Australia”, said Daniel Wild, Director of Research with the free-market think tank the Institute of Public Affairs.

    “Cutting red tape will allow more young Australians to realise their dream of starting their own business,” said Mr Wild.

    IPA research estimated that red tape costs the Australian economy $176 billion each year in terms of foregone economic output. This estimate captures all of the businesses which are never started, the jobs never created, and the pay rises which never occur because of red tape.
    Sounds like a bad day for tape salespersons.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2016 Australian Federal Election [COALITION WINS]
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Politics
    Replies: 322
    Last Post: 24-09-2016, 08:25 PM
  2. Who will you vote for in the federal election?
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Politics
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 19-06-2016, 01:18 AM
  3. Australian Federal Election 2013 [Coalition Wins]
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Politics
    Replies: 380
    Last Post: 29-11-2013, 02:21 AM
  4. Federal Election 2004 (Coalition Wins)
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Politics
    Replies: 185
    Last Post: 27-07-2010, 12:25 PM
  5. Federal Election 2007 (Labor Wins)
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Politics
    Replies: 347
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 02:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •