Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I stopped reading the Murdoch press for two reasons. Firstly, I found that I couldn't rely on the news presented, and had to constantly check what was reported ... However my conclusions were based on the Courier Mail and The Australian - I don't believe that Sky (at least during the day) suffers from these issues.
    For example, the front page of today's Courier Mail - this is meant to be news reporting?

Courier Mail 3.4.19.JPG

CC Grandmaster
    Well, Labour will slam breaks given an opportunity
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Well, Labour will slam breaks given an opportunity
    History suggests otherwise:
    ... On both measures, the level of economic growth and that growth relative to the US, Labor is a better performer than the Coalition. One of the weakest economic managers since the early 1970s is the current [March 2018] Abbott/Turnbull administration where GDP growth has averaged a mere 0.60 per cent per quarter which is just 0.04 percentage points above the US performance. ...

CC Grandmaster
    This is a perfect example of what the Murdoch papers often do. They misinterpret what people say, and then attack them on that basis.
    One last example, which is too funny to ignore:
    Conservative commentator Chris Kenny has done it again — and by “done it”, we mean wowed us with the superior command of words that explains why he’s currently Associate Editor of The Australian. Specifically, Kenny has managed to publish a column in The Australian and broadcast a segment on Sky News, criticising the ABC for joking about murdering conservatives. That criticism would be well deserved, except that the ABC radio excerpt Kenny refers to was a discussion about a murder mystery novel featuring the murder of conservators, not conservatives. ...

CC International Master
    Yep - funny this time.

Maybe Kenny suspects the worst from The ABC after it called him a dog f***er and described the conservative candidate for Batman as a c**t. Maybe, as a non-indigenous Australian, he's overly sensitive because he remembers The ABC describing all white people as c**ts:

“I know a lot of white people,” remarks Fa’aoso’s character. “And I say this with a lot of love… but white people are c**ts.”

“I wouldn’t use words as strong as that… but I tend to agree,” says Gorrie’s character. “White people are c**ts.”

“Well, I’ve never actually met a white person, but I do agree,” adds Willie’s character. “White people? They’re c**ts.”

Incidentally, it's April 4 today. Chris Kenny apologised to The ABC for the error on April 2, as follows:

Apologies I’ve been in budget lock-up. Will fix and correct this Monday - as I’ve done both times I’ve been wrong these past 30 years. And I’m glad you’re joking about murdering conservators - they’re a blight on the art world. Now, about MediaWatch and the main point?

When the boot was on the other foot, it took a judge to rule that a defamation trial could proceed before nice Mr. Scott issued his apology and some taxpayer funds to Mr. Kenny from your ABC.
    Last edited by idledim; 04-04-2019 at 07:23 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    Is the Chris Kenny who sued the ABC the same Chris Kenny who wants to eliminate Section 18C because people should have freedom of speech

And why would anyone assume that what was said on two completely unrelated programs on the ABC justifies making the most controversial interpretation of what was said on a third program - as though all ABC programs are somehow the same?

Hard to tell which is funnier:

One last example, which is too funny to ignore:
    Conservative commentator Chris Kenny has done it again — and by “done it”, we mean wowed us with the superior command of words that explains why he’s currently Associate Editor of The Australian. Specifically, Kenny has managed to publish a column in The Australian and broadcast a segment on Sky News, criticising the ABC for joking about murdering conservatives. That criticism would be well deserved, except that the ABC radio excerpt Kenny refers to was a discussion about a murder mystery novel featuring the murder of conservators, not conservatives. ...

Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    [Kenny]Will fix and correct this Monday - as I’ve done both times I’ve been wrong these past 30 years.
    meep meep

CC International Master
    Is the Chris Kenny who sued the ABC the same Chris Kenny who wants to eliminate Section 18C because people should have freedom of speech

And why would anyone assume that what was said on two completely unrelated programs on the ABC justifies making the most controversial interpretation of what was said on a third program - as though all ABC programs are somehow the same?
    Yes - and it is entirely consistent to seek an apology via a law of equal application while opposing a law of unequal application - indeed, there are many reasons to oppose 18C. Here are some of them:
    https://quadrant.org.au/opinion/qed/...dunk-case-18c/
    https://quadrant.org.au/opinion/qed/...ns-detest-18c/
    https://quadrant.org.au/magazine/201...absurdity-18c/

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    Yes - and it is entirely consistent to seek an apology via a law of equal application while opposing a law of unequal application ...
    Defamation is not a 'law of equal application' in practice. If someone wanted to sue The Australian for defamation they would need to very wealthy.

CC International Master
    Defamation is not a 'law of equal application' in practice. If someone wanted to sue The Australian for defamation they would need to very wealthy.
    Agreed - and it would not be problematic if someone wanted to reform defamation law to make it easier to access,while maintaining an opposition to the ineluctable inequalities of application embedded in 18C.

Thread Information