Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 96
  1. #16
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    You may expect that, but statistically the expected number is zero.
    And what is statistically expected number of our top junior chess players/junior chess players to be of Chinese/Indian origin then?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  2. #17
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,704
    From the source above:

    Migrants were disproportionately affected: almost a third of Australians were born overseas but about 45 per cent of people who are homeless are migrants.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  3. #18
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,704
    And according to statistical data (nothing to do with the sad reality I face in St Kilda
    or the City - Under the Flinders St Bridge there was until recently, haven't visited the area recently,
    a real homeless citadel which you are advised not to enter)
    From data also provided in my previous (#11)

    HOMELESS.PNG
    Last edited by ER; 13-03-2019 at 05:41 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  4. #19
    CC Grandmaster road runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    on the skin of the pale blue dot
    Posts
    12,476
    This 8-Year-Old Chess Champion Will Make You Smile
    NY Times, March 16, 2019

    In a homeless shelter in Manhattan, an 8-year-old boy is walking to his room, carrying an awkward load in his arms, unfazed by screams from a troubled resident. The boy is a Nigerian refugee with an uncertain future, but he is beaming.

    He canít stop grinning because the awkward load is a huge trophy, almost as big as he is. This homeless third grader has just won his category at the New York State chess championship. ...

    Taniís family fled northern Nigeria in 2017, fearing attacks by Boko Haram terrorists on Christians such as themselves. ďI donít want to lose any loved ones,Ē his father, Kayode Adewumi, told me.

    So Tani, his parents and his older brother arrived in New York City a bit more than a year ago, and a pastor helped steer them to a homeless shelter. Tani began attending the local elementary school, P.S. 116, which has a part-time chess teacher who taught Taniís class how to play. ...
    meep meep

  5. #20
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,747
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    This 8-Year-Old Chess Champion Will Make You Smile
    NY Times, March 16, 2019

    In a homeless shelter in Manhattan, an 8-year-old boy is walking to his room, carrying an awkward load in his arms, unfazed by screams from a troubled resident. The boy is a Nigerian refugee with an uncertain future, but he is beaming.

    He can’t stop grinning because the awkward load is a huge trophy, almost as big as he is. This homeless third grader has just won his category at the New York State chess championship. ...

    Tani’s family fled northern Nigeria in 2017, fearing attacks by Boko Haram terrorists on Christians such as themselves. “I don’t want to lose any loved ones,” his father, Kayode Adewumi, told me.

    So Tani, his parents and his older brother arrived in New York City a bit more than a year ago, and a pastor helped steer them to a homeless shelter. Tani began attending the local elementary school, P.S. 116, which has a part-time chess teacher who taught Tani’s class how to play. ...
    Fantastic achievement!
    I hope his parents get jobs and will be able to help him to secure bright future.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  6. #21
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,985
    Homelessness soars in our biggest cities, driven by rising inequality since 2001
    The Conversation
    30.5.19

    Homelessness has increased greatly in Australian capital cities since 2001. Almost two-thirds of people experiencing homelessness are in these cities, with much of the growth associated with severely crowded dwellings and rough sleeping.

    Homelessness in major cities, especially severe crowding, has risen disproportionately in areas with a shortage of affordable private rental housing and higher median rents. Severe crowding is also strongly associated with weak labour markets and poorer areas with a high proportion of males.

    These are some of the key findings of our Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI) research released today. ...

  7. #22
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,193
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    These are 2 separate matters
    1) homeless
    2) Aged Care and who goes there.

    1) why so few Chinese/Indian on the street?
    2) Some cultures tend to be more caring when it comes to older people (happy to be corrected on this)
    Michael, I know that in Sydney about forty years ago the Chinese had their own aged care premises. I don't know if it had anything to do with the old White Oz policy but I can't really imagine how.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  8. #23
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Homelessness soars in our biggest cities, driven by rising inequality since 2001
    The Conversation
    30.5.19

    Homelessness has increased greatly in Australian capital cities since 2001. Almost two-thirds of people experiencing homelessness are in these cities, with much of the growth associated with severely crowded dwellings and rough sleeping.

    Homelessness in major cities, especially severe crowding, has risen disproportionately in areas with a shortage of affordable private rental housing and higher median rents. Severe crowding is also strongly associated with weak labour markets and poorer areas with a high proportion of males.

    These are some of the key findings of our Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI) research released today. ...
    I personally witnessed the following: Social Workers/Salvation Army officers (whoever they were) were asking a homeless person if he wanted to go to shelter for the night rather than sleep rough - he refused.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  9. #24
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,193
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I personally witnessed the following: Social Workers/Salvation Army officers (whoever they were) were asking a homeless person if he wanted to go to shelter for the night rather than sleep rough - he refused.
    Because they may have to share with druggies or other mentally disturbed people. A elderly chess mate here in Byron from Czech Republic was in that category, he was living under the old town water tower, completely okay and not costing anybody anything. Eventually after years they got him into aged care accommo and he started taking showers regularly. He used to be ordered out of the Club before that due to ponging issues. I was directed to get him out. He had well off offspring in Sydney but he did not like them due to their money obsession. Well he happened to be tortured in Czech during the 1968 anti-Soviet uprising that was put down. He sort of rode a push bike when roughing it, in aged care he was given a disabled scooter, reversed it into a concrete gutter and did a backward somersault and broke both hips that he cannot recover from. So he has cost the country a fortune, if he had been left alone all would have been okay except our noses. So some of those homeless may have unfair backgrounds so do not judge them until you have walked in their shoes.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  10. #25
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,747
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Because they may have to share with druggies or other mentally disturbed people. A elderly chess mate here in Byron from Czech Republic was in that category, he was living under the old town water tower, completely okay and not costing anybody anything. Eventually after years they got him into aged care accommo and he started taking showers regularly. He used to be ordered out of the Club before that due to ponging issues. I was directed to get him out. He had well off offspring in Sydney but he did not like them due to their money obsession. Well he happened to be tortured in Czech during the 1968 anti-Soviet uprising that was put down. He sort of rode a push bike when roughing it, in aged care he was given a disabled scooter, reversed it into a concrete gutter and did a backward somersault and broke both hips that he cannot recover from. So he has cost the country a fortune, if he had been left alone all would have been okay except our noses. So some of those homeless may have unfair backgrounds so do not judge them until you have walked in their shoes.
    Some of them are no less druggies themselves .
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  11. #26
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,985
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I personally witnessed the following: Social Workers/Salvation Army officers (whoever they were) were asking a homeless person if he wanted to go to shelter for the night rather than sleep rough - he refused.
    Do you think that overrides the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute research findings?

  12. #27
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,193
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Some of them are no less druggies themselves .
    Many of them could be, so what is your solution that won't cost money? Legalise drugs and so heavily tax them to pay for their damage to humanity and to the economy? But only legalise to already-dependant and registered drug addicts. Duterte of the Philippines has had killed about 20,000 pushers and druggies, mostly the impoverished ones who can't pay big bribes to cops etc. and anecdotal evidence is that it is having a result, many results and some undesired we could even say. But at village and suburban level things are "improving" (not counting the mourners). Drug money has even funded politics there so it has become like an AIDS epidemic. Duterte still has massive support of around 75%.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  13. #28
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Do you think that overrides the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute research findings?
    Irrespective of housing affordability - I would expect a homeless person not want to be homeless and try to rebuild his life, particularly when assistance is offered!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  14. #29
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,747
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Many of them could be, so what is your solution that won't cost money? Legalise drugs and so heavily tax them to pay for their damage to humanity and to the economy? But only legalise to already-dependant and registered drug addicts. Duterte of the Philippines has had killed about 20,000 pushers and druggies, mostly the impoverished ones who can't pay big bribes to cops etc. and anecdotal evidence is that it is having a result, many results and some undesired we could even say. But at village and suburban level things are "improving" (not counting the mourners). Drug money has even funded politics there so it has become like an AIDS epidemic. Duterte still has massive support of around 75%.
    Re solution:
    check out Singapore and how they deal with druggies
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  15. #30
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,985
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Irrespective of housing affordability - I would expect a homeless person not want to be homeless and try to rebuild his life, particularly when assistance is offered!
    And if he doesn't, so what does that prove? You're stereotyping again, like your fabled player at your chess club who doesn't work, thus proving everyone on welfare is a dole bludger.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Should people marry? It seems that God would forbid it.
    By Gnostic Bishop in forum Religion and Science
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 25-12-2014, 11:05 PM
  2. Why do people use swiss perfect?
    By Pepechuy in forum Arbiters' Corner
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-08-2011, 10:33 AM
  3. What do you people think about the chessmaster engine?
    By khelben1979 in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-05-2008, 08:32 AM
  4. People Behind the Posts
    By MichaelBaron in forum Help and Feedback
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-08-2006, 05:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •