Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I would love to see how you can legally advertise ''no drugs''...I wish we could...
    You can ask for proof of employment / payslips for last couple of months, and references for last couple of rentals. That should start to paint a bit of a picture.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    You can ask for proof of employment / payslips for last couple of months, and references for last couple of rentals. That should start to paint a bit of a picture.
    Of course, and rental history. This is I am doing. Also, all my properties other than 1 are rented via agents.
    One case I had when mother and son applied to rent a place. All was looking good (employed mother + apprentice son) but it later turned out ...mother was just helping son to rent with his gf...ok the happy ending to the story: despite rent delays - all was eventually paid so no major drama. Also, at no point they were refusing to pay ''on principle'' so its just a memory - not a negative one.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    I claim to be the first person in Byron to do so seventeen years ago then it became common. Short hand is D/F
    Its not legal. whether you do it or not is another story . Again, I would not mind advertising D/F

CC Grandmaster
    But if they do not move out. How to kick them out? They can just stay on premises. Police won't come and kick him them out.
    They will, if you have the right document: "If the Tribunal Member grants a Possession Order, the landlord has up to 6 months to purchase the Warrant of Possession, which gives the police the power to evict you. Once purchased, the Warrant of Possession is valid for a fixed time, usually 14 days."

Managing rental properties is not easy. and if people are simply not leaving - will take months to get them out. All of this results in significant loss of income for the landlord.
    As with most other things, prevention is better than cure.

CC Grandmaster
    I think you can actually legally ask tenants for a drug test. Of course, prospective tenants who are not using drugs might also be put off by this requirement

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    They will, if you have the right document: "If the Tribunal Member grants a Possession Order, the landlord has up to 6 months to purchase the Warrant of Possession, which gives the police the power to evict you. Once purchased, the Warrant of Possession is valid for a fixed time, usually 14 days."

As with most other things, prevention is better than cure.
    Of course, prevention is better than cure so trying my level best.

But re making people physically move out from the property (make it vacant and available for further rent) - it sometimes takes very long time. Re chasing unpaid rent/making them pay for damages - it is a separate story...may be not for the homeless thread...

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I think you can actually legally ask tenants for a drug test. Of course, prospective tenants who are not using drugs might also be put off by this requirement
    Really? I did not know it.
    Good to know. Personally, if i even suspect use of drugs I would limit my risks by not renting out to these people, but i am investing mostly in centrally located apartments where demand from tenants is very high and I've got options whom to rent to. If worst comes to worst, and demand is low - can reduce rent slightly.

But one of the properties I got ( lovely unit - purchased not so much with the aim of getting high returns but relying on land growth) - last time I had to find a new tenant. There was a single application only. Of course, i could wait for longer and hope for more applications to come...but its a risk and a cost...so yes... tenant selection is a big issue.

Now getting back to the Homeless thread.

I do not like homelessness, neither do others: But since AC asked me if i would allow people I do not know (tenants, not friends) stay in my house for free: My answer is firm No and i would evict/ not allow them in.

What about others? Would you let people stay for free? Or would you Rent to Drug users/others coming from high risk groups in order to help them, since you know its hard for them to find a place to rent?

re troublesome tenants

I have replied in Off Topic Bin
    Last edited by antichrist; 14-02-2020 at 01:28 PM.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Of course, and rental history. This is I am doing. Also, all my properties other than 1 are rented via agents.
    One case I had when mother and son applied to rent a place. All was looking good (employed mother + apprentice son) but it later turned out ...mother was just helping son to rent with his gf...ok the happy ending to the story: despite rent delays - all was eventually paid so no major drama. Also, at no point they were refusing to pay ''on principle'' so its just a memory - not a negative one.
    Well, if they lied about who would be living there on the rental application... I'm no expert but that sounds like fraud to me. So yes the police can get involved.

CC Grandmaster
    Well, if they lied about who would be living there on the rental application... I'm no expert but that sounds like fraud to me. So yes the police can get involved.
    Since they came up with a payment plan when talking to my Real Estate Agent when threatened with action, I did not have to go that far. One problem that is sometimes faced....when court/tribunal awards payments...but they are never received or received at the rate of 9 dollars/month. so yes...tenant selection is critical.

Since they came up with a payment plan when talking to my Real Estate Agent when threatened with action, I did not have to go that far. One problem that is sometimes faced....when court/tribunal awards payments...but they are never received or received at the rate of 9 dollars/month. so yes...tenant selection is critical.
    On the rare times when I have lost out I will do compensatory things like whacking up higher rents in summer or renting extra areas out that are "unconventual".
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Grandmaster
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHDkALRz5Rk

Can start watching around 12:00
    This is how evictions happen in the US....does not look pretty ...but on the other hand, people know they have to pay up and rent what they can afford...so 2 sides of the coin.

This is how evictions happen in the US....does not look pretty ...but on the other hand, people know they have to pay up and rent what they can afford...so 2 sides of the coin.
    I saw that video months ago, there are two in the series I think. That poverty is what is behind Bernie Sanders push for $15 per hour minimum wage and universal medicare. Maybe because of Australia's convict past, rebelliousness and belief in a fair go has brought the bacon home. It was not all educated people and smart people who made this paradise but exactly the opposite, the ruffians with big muscles who maybe even could not even read or only 5 years of schooling . Plus Aboriginal and island slaves and indentured labourers. Most current educated people from Asia can't even kill a cockroach but the ruffians had to fight snakes, poverty, famine, brutal bashings - all for stealing a loaf of bread in England. And they had to build their own shacks out of trees cut by hand.

Drawing a gun to evict a single mum (who wasn't even home). Just insane. My dad was a police officer for 30 years, told me he only ever had to draw his gun on someone once. Never fired it.

CC Grandmaster
    Drawing a gun to evict a single mum (who wasn't even home). Just insane. My dad was a police officer for 30 years, told me he only ever had to draw his gun on someone once. Never fired it.
    Unfortunately the high gun ownership rates in the US mean that police have to be extra careful.

Thread Information