Mobile phones being used in chess venues

Hi All,
    I'm sure this has been aired previously (I've been absent for a while) - so I'll leave it to a moderator to move this to an existing thread.
    Last weekend I played in the (very successful) City of Sydney Rapid with 90 Entries.

I was dismayed by the number of people that - having finished their games - used their phones within the playing arena to text message and even analyse games (one even spoke on the phone for several minutes in the corner).

While I understand the need to allow people to secure their phones on their person as they are expensive assets (not everyone has a bag in which to store the device) - players need to be aware that mobile devices are excluded from the playing arena.
    My understanding is that exclusion from the venue for the day is the penalty.

Your thoughts?

BOB

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    A player who has finished their game is a spectator. However:

12.8 Unless authorised by the arbiter, it is forbidden for anybody to use a mobile phone or any kind of communication device in the playing venue or any contiguous area designated by the arbiter. (my bold)

("Use" includes using silently, for text messaging, analysing their game or whatever.)

There is no specified penalty but arbiters can expel spectators from the playing venue for interfering in a game, and for anything else they want to that is in the best interests of the competition. A commonly used penalty is indeed expulsion for the round/day, but that's typically applied to spectators whose phones ring.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    A player who has finished their game is a spectator. However:

12.8 Unless authorised by the arbiter, it is forbidden for anybody to use a mobile phone or any kind of communication device in the playing venue or any contiguous area designated by the arbiter. (my bold)

("Use" includes using silently, for text messaging, analysing their game or whatever.)

There is no specified penalty but arbiters can expel spectators from the playing venue for interfering in a game, and for anything else they want to that is in the best interests of the competition. A commonly used penalty is indeed expulsion for the round/day, but that's typically applied to spectators whose phones ring.
    At MCC and other clubs, I can not recall anyone asking spectators not to take the phones into the playing hall. Avoiding noise, yes but not to ''keep phones out of the venue''.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    At MCC and other clubs, I can not recall anyone asking spectators not to take the phones into the playing hall.
    I've noticed MCC has what I'd call an isolationist approach to the Laws of Chess in general; eg it seems to use its own curious set of rules for blitz and rapid tournaments. Or at least has done so in the recent past.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I've noticed MCC has what I'd call an isolationist approach to the Laws of Chess in general; eg it seems to use its own curious set of rules for blitz and rapid tournaments. Or at least has done so in the recent past.
    Re spectators not taking phones in: I do not think its just MCC that does not monitor spectators. Of course, if phone o a spectator rings and makes noise, arbiter usually asks him to live the tournament hall.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thread Information