Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    On Thursday I played a simul at a local mall (drew two, lost one ). Anyway, one of my opponents told me he knows FM Craig Laird and commented that he met him 'up the coast' (Hervey Bay?) just a few months ago. All my previous inquires had had Craig last sighted in FNQ (Far North Queensland) working on a shrimp boat (with his brother?) about 20 years ago.

Craig (b.1953) is affiliated with Australia on the FIDE rating list with an inactive rating of 2297. His last FIDE-rated event was the exotic Papua New Guinea Open Championship in July 2001.
    Last edited by Tony Dowden; 02-03-2019 at 12:11 PM.
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden View Post
    One of the older members on this list must be Wolfgang Leonhardt (b. 1928), who hails from Germany and has had long associations with both Perth and Auckland...
    Interesting stuff Tony. I notice that the otherwise rather nice biography pretty much ignores Wolf's NZ Chess career, which is a shame because I think he was quite an important figure in the Auckland scene during his years here, and I am pretty sure that Auckland then as now was a much better chess city (with many more strong opponents for Wolf) despite being around the same size (Auckland vs Perth I mean).

When I was putting up the NZ Chess Magazines I experimented with making electronic, interactive editions for a few issues. [I thought I might get some encouragement and extend the exercise to many more issues]. One of the issues I picked was December 1979. It wasn't a completely random choice, Sarapu, Sutton, Small and Steadman (his first for NZ chess no doubt) for example contributed annotated games to that issue. Sutton's analysis was particularly impressive, and his widely admired personality and lack of ego (compared to some others anyway) is very noticeable. Anyway, I bring this up because I made the effort to transcribe all the chess in the magazine, and one of the articles was by Wolf Leonhardt on the North Shore club champs of that year. He contributes an annotated game of his own, against David Beach actually who appears in this thread for the umpteenth time. I never knew David Beach finished his short chess career in Auckland. You can see the game here. An amusing point is that Wolf missed an amazing little tactic in his notes that the computer brought to my attention as I made the transcription. I couldn't resist the temptation to add "a note from the future" pointing out the tactic. Finally, I'll note that Peter Hawkes, who has also featured in this thread many times, contributes an article about a Tawa weekender, and I transcribed the chess for that as well.

Thanks for that Bill - including the work on electronic editions of NZ Chess. 1979 was the last year that I played at the Otago Chess Club. Late that year was my move to Wellington, and first Civic (from 1980) then Wellington clubs.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Chatted on Welington chess clubs history with Gavin Marner (whose FIDE rating is still under NZL rather than Aus) last night. He told me that he and Peter Collins, also mentioned earlier in this thread, set up a Harbour Chess Club which was on the scene for a short time. Another club that ultimately got swallowed up by Welington CC. Peter was from Wainuiomata and went to school with GM Murray Chandler.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Chatted on Welington chess clubs history with Gavin Marner (whose FIDE rating is still under NZL rather than Aus) last night. He told me that he and Peter Collins, also mentioned earlier in this thread, set up a Harbour Chess Club which was on the scene for a short time. Another club that ultimately got swallowed up by Welington CC. Peter was from Wainuiomata and went to school with GM Murray Chandler.
    I asked Brian Foster who coached the Wainuiomata 70s kids about Fomotor and Rolfe, the two who I couldn't recall their forenames. It was in fact Philip Fomotor and Colin Rolfe. I had thought as much earlier but talked myself out of it as I was assuming I was getting confused with Philip Monrad (another chess player for the same era) and Colin Rofe (someone else entirely from later in my life, not a chess player). Brian also relayed the news that Colin Rolfe had died recently which was sad. I googled and found many online articles about him. He made a big mark in another recreational area entirely, held running records etc., was extraordinarily fit and strong then very surprisingly died suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Thank you for the information about the schoolpupil chess scene in Wellington in the few years before I started playing. A lot of those names bring back memories.
    I did overlap with you in school chess Jonathan (just). I think I am about five years older and I recall playing a Wellington Schools Champs (or similar) individual tournament at Victoria Uni, Kelburn Campus in about 1976/77. It was multiple games a day so probably rapid. I'm a little vague but I distinctly remember you playing as a precociously talented new youngster everyone was talking about. Your mother accompanied you. I played you and I can remember the outline of the game. I'd just discovered "New Ideas in Chess" by Reti and I was experimenting with the double fianchetto Reti opening. You cleaned me up with simple and effective classical chess.

Edit added later: This memory is not as vivid as the Newlands College vs Wainui one from earlier and it is of course exactly the sort of thing that is susceptible to mixing and matching multiple events after such a long period of time. So I should say more than "I'm a little vague". But the one thing I am very confident of is the outline of the game. We have played one game, when you were very (very) young, and the game went as I described it. The quality of your play probably made a lasting impression.
    Last edited by Bill Forster; 05-03-2019 at 10:09 AM.

I vaguely remember Brian Foster proudly telling me that apart from Murray Chandler there were two other juniors from Pencarrow Chess Club(?) in Wainuiomata who were very talented. One was "Cookie", who was around 1800-2000(?) with the surname Cook(?) - but I don't know the other name (or if there was even a third junior). Does anyone remember Cookie? Um, maybe the third junior was Fenella Foster!

Quoting from just above: ... I think I am about five years older ...
    For the record, JDS (Capa Fan) was born in October 1964 (in Australia!), so Bill as a Dec 1960 baby you are a little under four years older than Jonathan.

Reminds me: I played young Jonathan in the last round of the 1977 NZ Schoolpupils final in Auckland and he cheered me up immensely by allowing me to get my only win (after a dismal two losses and four draws) by utilising a set-up invented by Korchnoi to launch a massive attack in a ...Qd6 variation of the Exchange Ruy Lopez where the players castle on opposite sides. The only other time I can remember us having a decisive result was in a Premier Reserve(?) - maybe 1978/79 - when I crazily played a Double Muzio (a two-piece sac line) King's Gambit and - incredibly - Jonathan, who was meant to be surprised at the board, knew more theory than I did and I promptly imploded and lost in truly ignominious fashion. After that I realised how strong he was and usually played a straight bat and headed for careful draws.
    Last edited by Tony Dowden; 05-03-2019 at 10:21 PM.

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal

My memory of this game is simply that I was slaughtered! I gave up the Dragon soon after - too many losses! (Another Dragon I lost was against my current Rooty Hill clubmate, Gavin Marner, then also in Wellington.) I have that scoresheet somewhere - I will try to find it!

The whole Gollogly-Adams story was interesting.
    Gavin has sent me that scoresheet plus a third game we played in a Wellington champs. He did not have Year for our Morra but can tell from place in his scorebook that it was PRE1984.

[Event "Premier Reserves, Wgtn, 1977-78"]
    [Site "Civic Chess Club, Wellington"]
    [Date "1977.12.30"]
    [Round "2"]
    [White "Marner, Gavin"]
    [Black "Adams, Jonathan"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "B72"]
    [Annotator "J. Adams"]
    [PlyCount "53"]

PGN Viewer

Here is our other game. Though I lost both, happy for you to add them to the DB, Bill.
    [Event "Wellington Champs"]
    [Site "Wellington"]
    [Date "1987.08.22"]
    [Round "5"]
    [White "Marner, Gavin"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [PlyCount "85"]

PGN Viewer

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Forster View Post
    I did overlap with you in school chess Jonathan (just). I think I am about five years older and I recall playing a Wellington Schools Champs (or similar) individual tournament at Victoria Uni, Kelburn Campus in about 1976/77. It was multiple games a day so probably rapid. I'm a little vague but I distinctly remember you playing as a precociously talented new youngster everyone was talking about. Your mother accompanied you. I played you and I can remember the outline of the game. I'd just discovered "New Ideas in Chess" by Reti and I was experimenting with the double fianchetto Reti opening. You cleaned me up with simple and effective classical chess.

Edit added later: This memory is not as vivid as the Newlands College vs Wainui one from earlier and it is of course exactly the sort of thing that is susceptible to mixing and matching multiple events after such a long period of time. So I should say more than "I'm a little vague". But the one thing I am very confident of is the outline of the game. We have played one game, when you were very (very) young, and the game went as I described it. The quality of your play probably made a lasting impression.
    Thank you for the generous comments and the reminder. However, I owe you an apology, because my memory has drawn a blank. It might have been the Wellington Regional Schoolpupils where I finished 2nd, or a school teams match where my was the only primary team so we lost badly on most boards but I won all board 1 games but for one loss. Classical style sounds like the way I would have played, given that my username reflects my attitude even >40 years ago. In a way, not remembering that game is a good reflection on you and other highschool kids playing a kid not yet in high-school, because it means there was nothing unpleasant. When I was 11- or 12-year old playing older kids like you as well as adults, most were sporting to me.

For the record, JDS (Capa Fan) was born in October 1964 (in Australia!), so Bill as a Dec 1960 baby you are a little under four years older than Jonathan.

Reminds me: I played young Jonathan in the last round of the 1977 NZ Schoolpupils final in Auckland and he cheered me up immensely by allowing me to get my only win (after a dismal two losses and four draws) by utilising a set-up invented by Korchnoi to launch a massive attack in a ...Qd6 variation of the Exchange Ruy Lopez where the players castle on opposite sides. The only other time I can remember us having a decisive result was in a Premier Reserve(?)—maybe 1978/79—when I crazily played a Double Muzio (a two-piece sac line) King's Gambit and—incredibly—Jonathan, who was meant to be surprised at the board, knew more theory than I did and I promptly imploded and lost in truly ignominious fashion. After that I realised how strong he was and usually played a straight bat and headed for careful draws.
    Small correction: it would have been something invented against Korchnoi but I no longer have our score sheet. To my shame given my username, I had no awareness of this stratagem although it was first used by Capablanca. I haven't got the Double Muzio game either, but according to the report (NZ Chess, Feb 1979, pp. 12–15), I returned one of the two extra pieces so I could get my King to safety.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 07-03-2019 at 11:38 PM.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post

Small correction: it would have been something invented against Korchnoi but I no longer have our score sheet ...
    JDS: You might be right about Mecking-Korchnoi but going into the game my (increasingly unreliable) memory says I had the set-up all the way to move 10 in mind. I recall being out of 'book' when you played your sixth move of ...Bd7 (I had expected ...Be6) but you soon moved it there anyway. I still have the game (but, alas, not the King's Gambit game). The end is pretty gruesome so it is only fair to emphasise your extreme youth: I was in Form 6 (Year 12) whereas you must have been just beginning high school in Form 3 (Year 9). Of course these days seven-year-olds are dangerous but we were brought up in a different era!

NZ Schoolpupils' Championship, Auckland, Sept 1977
    Tony Dowden (Dunedin) - Jonathan Sarfati (Wellington)
    PGN Viewer

Last edited by Tony Dowden; 07-03-2019 at 07:57 PM.

[Event "Premier Reserves, Wgtn, 1977-78"]
    [Site "Civic Chess Club, Wellington"]
    [Date "1977.12.30"]
    [Round "2"]
    [White "Marner, Gavin"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "B72"]
    [Annotator "J. Adams"]
    [PlyCount "53"]

PGN Viewer

Correct 24th move inserted. Final note revised.
    Last edited by Tony Dowden; 08-03-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Dr Dowden is spot on! On both points. While transcribing the game (conversion from descriptive notation for all 3 NZ games JMA vs GM [Grand Master!!]), I could not see why I did not take that en prise Knight earlier.

White's 24th should be Nf5.
    Last edited by Adamski; 08-03-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    JDS: You might be right about Mecking-Korchnoi but going into the game my (increasingly unreliable) memory says I had the set-up all the way to move 10 in mind. I recall being out of 'book' when you played your sixth move of ...Bd7 (I had expected ...Be6) but you soon moved it there anyway. I still have the game (but, alas, not the King's Gambit game). The end is pretty gruesome so it is only fair to emphasise your extreme youth: I was in Form 6 (Year 12) whereas you must have been just beginning high school in Form 3 (Year 9). Of course these days seven-year-olds are dangerous but we were brought up in a different era!
    I was 12 and in Form 2. Since NZ Chess mags are now online, the report for this was in the October 1977 issue, pp. 108–110.

Well played on your part. Clearly you had prepared the opening well and knew how to handle the resulting attack.

But yes, back in those ancient days, there were no 12–14yo GMs, and only one 15yo and very few other teenagers had ever made GM. It was a different time, for sure—when there were Informators not databases, Averbakh's endgame books rather than tablebases, and very weak instead of superhuman chess computers.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 08-03-2019 at 05:48 AM.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by braindied View Post
    http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/schol...-body-d24.html contains a reference to Peter - and maybe a lost game for Bill?

Peter was still playing in 1996:

The 103rd consecutive New Zealand Chess Congress was held at the Wellington
    Airport Hotel, Wellington, 28 December to 11 January 1996....

Reserve

The Reserve Championship was a close contest between the top three players.
    Going in to the last round, Nigel Metge and Peter Hawkes were tied on 7.5,
    with Matthew Barlow a half point back; Metge won quickly, but Hawkes was
    lucky to draw with Arthur Pomeroy and was caught by Barlow.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Total
    1. Metge, Nigel x 1 1 1 0 1 = = 1 = 1 1 8.5
    2. Hawkes, Peter 0 x = = 1 1 1 = 1 1 = 1 8
    3. Barlow, Matthew 0 = x = 1 1 = 1 = 1 1 1 8
    4. Pomeroy, Arthur 0 = = x 1 = = = = = = 1 6
    5. Guthrie, David 1 0 0 0 x = = = = = 1 1 5.5
    6. Steadman, Michael 0 0 0 = = x 1 1 1 = 1 0 5.5
    7. Cooper, David = 0 = = = 0 x 1 0 = = 1 5
    8. Mastilovich, Rajko = = 0 = = 0 0 x 1 = 1 = 5
    9. van der Hoorn, M 0 0 = = = 0 1 0 x 1 0 1 4.5
    10. Marner, Gavin = 0 0 = = = = = 0 x 0 = 3.5
    11. Turner, Michael 0 = 0 = 0 0 = 0 1 1 x 0 3.5
    12. Post, Martin 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 = 0 = 1 = 3

The success of the Metge family was continued by Nigel's son Russell Metge
    winning the Major Open with 9/11.
    Not a great tournament for Gavin but excellent for another friend of mine, Nigel Metge! And pretty good for Peter too!
    Last edited by Adamski; 08-03-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Thread Information