Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CC FIDE Master
    Actually, it took a long time before anyone figured that out. A bit of harmless fun. I play at a small club, Jessheim, which is about 35km from Oslo. Oslo has some ridiculously strong clubs so perhaps I should start playing at one of these to get ready for you Bill.
    Once a Kiwi, Always a Kiwi.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CivicChessMan View Post
    Does anyone know what became of David Gollogly? I extracted a top 50 list from 30 years ago and attempted to fill in players' statuses.
    Code:
    1	  3016AM	 Small, Vernon A           	  CA	2353	Wellington
    2	  3003SM	 Sutton, Richard J         	  CI	2343	deceased
    3	  3383AM	 Ker, Anthony F            	  CI	2321	active
    4	  3002AM	 Garbett, Paul A           	  NS	2295	active
    5	  3178AM	 Nokes, Roger I            	  NS	2293	Christchurcn
    6	  3459AM	 Dive, Russell J           	  CI	2289	active
    6  	  3001VM	 Sarapu, Ortvin            	  AC	2289    deceased 
    8	  3251AM	 Sarfati, Jonathan D       	  WE	2285	USA
    9	  3206AM	 Watson, Bruce R           	  NS	2272	active
    10	  3199UM	 Green, Peter R            	  AC	2257	
    11	  3007AM	 Green, Ewen M             	  HP	2256	active
    12	  3416UM	 Levene, Mark              	    	2246	London, UK
    13	  3231UM	 Aptekar, Lev              	  CI	2243	Australia
    14	  3390UM	 Lloyd, Adrian J           	    	2242	
    15	  3025AM	 Carpinter, Anthony L      	  NS	2239	active
    16	  3552JM	 Martin, Benjamin M S      	  OT	2224	Aberdeen, UK
    17	  3174UM	 Beach, David H            	  CI	2211	
    18	  3314UM	 McLaren, Leonard J        	  GA	2204	active
    19	  3088AM	 Smith, Robert W           	  WT	2201	active
    20	  3616UM	 Hampl, Michael            	  CI	2185	
    20   	  3176AM	 Love, Anthony J           	  OT	2185	Dunedin
    22	  3292UM	 Gollogly, David A         	  NS	2184	
    23	  3163AM	 Clemance, Philip A        	  CI	2176    deceased 
    24	  3696AM	 Lukey, Stephen G          	  CA	2174	active
    24   	  3009AM	 Wansink, Robert           	  OT	2174	Dunedin
    26	  3482AM	 Spain, Graeme A           	  GA	2171	active
    27	  3011UM	 Leonhardt, Wolfgang       	  NS	2153	Perth, AUS
    28	  3208UM	 Cordue, Patrick L         	  CI	2148	Wellington
    29	  3005AM	 Stuart, Peter W           	  NS	2137	deceased 
    30	  3296UM	 Anderson, Bruce R         	  CA	2131	
    31	  3336UM	 Bates, Giles T H          	  CA	2120	
    32	  3460AM	 Dreyer, Martin P          	  AC	2115	active
    32   	  3026UM	 Whaley, Michael G         	  NS	2115	
    34	  3052UM	 Weir, Peter B             	  NS	2109	
    35	  3573UM	 Cooper, Paul R            	  AC	2104	
    36	  3041UM	 Metge, J Nigel            	  AC	2100	active
    37	  3503UM	 Ker, Charles M            	  PE	2096	
    38	  3029UM	 Jackson, Jon R            	  NE	2094
    39	  3151AM	 Freeman, Michael R        	  NP	2090	active
    40	  3255AM	 Noble, Mark F             	  PE	2089	active
    41	  3201AM	 Steadman, Michael V R     	  CI	2082	active
    42	  3629AM	 Wilson, Mark C            	  CA	2081	
    43	  3148AM	 Dowden, R Anthony         	  OT	2073	active
    44	  3603UM	 Reyn, Isidor              	    	2061	
    44   	  3440UM	 Spencer-Smith, Gregory J         OT    2061	
    46	  3512UM	 Alexander, Ben J          	    	2051	
    47	  3010UM	 Hensman, Peter J          	    	2050	
    48	  3034UM	 Baker, Chris P            	  CA	2048	
    49	  3028SM	 Haase, Graham G           	  OT	2044	deceased
    50	  3613UM	 Fitzpatrick, Simon P      	  AC	2041
    16 players are still active in New Zealand chess.

Adrian Lloyd is probably still in Sydney. HE did play chess there.
    Bruce Anderson is in Christchurch and still an active bridge player - at which he has also excelled and represented NZ (as have the two Ker brothers).
    Michael Whaley is on the North Shore, and still playing correspondence chess
    Jon R Jackson is a judge in NZ of the Environment Court. Was based in Nelson but now Christchurch.
    Michael Freeman (me) is hardly active except in correspondence chess, and located in Darwin, Aus.
    Ben Alexander is in Sydney as an Investment Manager.
    Michael F

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Forster View Post
    I have just finished some more work on the Peter Stuart database (same link as before), this time extending his NZ Championships cross tables to 2018 and 2019. I notice that David Gollogly was actually NZ Champion in 1983, winning in the Dunedin congress of that year (shared with Paul Garbett who Gollogly beat in their individual encounter).

In the NZ database, Gollogly only has 78 games, all between 1978 and 1984. He was getting good results and playing powerful chess (judging from a few random games I looked at - like the win v Garbett from the previous paragraph). So, it was rather a short "career" for a strong player.

It's a rather google-able name and a bit of internet snooping suggests that 1978-1984 were basically his university years and that he has gone on to a rather high powered and successful medical career that continues to this day. Possibly Dr David Gollogly is one of those rare individuals who had sufficient strength of character to permanently escape our addictive game!

I recall losing horribly in the 1982 Premier Reserve to David in round 10 whilst jointly leading the event. He won that Reserve with Bernard Carpinter, and went on to win the NZ title the next year in the days when the NZ Championship was a closed round robin and very hard to gain entry.

Other names that stand out from that 1982 PR - Noble, Bill Lynn, father and son Van Dijk, two Ker's, Dreyer, the Hopewell twins, Gavin Ion (now CEO of Waikato District Council), and large Wanganui group.
    That year also featured a NZ Women's Championship with a few familiar names.

Thanks to the great efforts of Bill it is now possible to re-read about those events from old NZ Chess magazines on the NZ Chess Federation website.
    Michael F

I wasted ten minutes of my life (that I'm never getting back) trying to figure out who the hell CCM is. It's Civic Chess Man (Rowan Wood). I don't know why you guys insist on these dopey usernames when everybody know who you are anyway

I don't have many scoresheets from that era and my memories are that Rowan pretty much had my number. I think in a typical game I'd succumb to Rowan's superior skill in rook endings. However I'm not sure Rowan gets much good training in Oslo, whereas the Wellington Chess Club is superb (my personal theory - it's the best chess club in Australasia - name another club where four 2300 FIDE players front up every week). So these days I'd fancy my chances
    Bill. please feel free to add Adams-Marner above to Peter Stuart's (RIP) database. I am still looking for another Welington game of similar vintage that we played and he won where I played the Dragon.
    Yes, I worked out that CCM was Rowan a whiie ago. We were at Civic together. I thought it was not up to me to reveal his identity if he wanted to keep it (sort of) secret!
    Do you know what became of Peter Hawkes?
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Candidate Master
    I play at a small club, Jessheim, which is about 35km from Oslo. Oslo has some ridiculously strong clubs so perhaps I should start playing at one of these to get ready for you Bill.
    This is clearly code for "I am secretly training with Magnus in preparation for a triumphant return to Wellington Chess. First order of business: Sending Bill back to the B Grade where he belongs!"

By the way Rowan, I think given your username (sorry "dopey usernames" might have been a bit judgemental: ) you should be talking up the Wellington Chess Club not me. After all, the Wellington Chess Club *is* basically the Civic Chess Club. When the actual Wellington Chess Club died in the 1990s, the Civic Chess Club was effectively renamed (although for good form this was presented as a merger). When I rejoined the Civic Chess Club in 2001 this confused me a lot - "Why are some people (not all) calling the club the Wellington Chess Club?" After a while everyone got used to the new name, and here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Yes, I worked out that CCM was Rowan a whiie ago. We were at Civic together. I thought it was not up to me to reveal his identity if he wanted to keep it (sort of) secret!
    I should have made it clearer that the 10 minutes I am never getting back was spent working out who you meant with CCM. I was looking through all the players that had come up in the thread looking for a real name with those initials. There was none and eventually I twigged that you were abbreviating Civic Chess Man. I had no qualms about identifying that as Rowan, as it has happened many times previously, I certainly didn't need to spend time working *that* out.

Sorry I missed Peter Hawkes I think. My time in Wellington Chess fits into three stages, 1970s interschool chess (already mentioned) when I also played at the short lived North Wellington Club in Khandallah/Johnsonville. That was started by a strong player named Skipworth I think, Skip something anyway. It was a bit boring for him, there was no-one in the new club to challenge him. Not sure what became of him, he might have returned to the UK, something like that. Then 1982-87 or so at the Civic chess club once I came back from University in Christchurch. I then decided chess was a stupid game because you reached a level and then couldn't get past that and the reasons why others were stronger weren't apparent or explainable - even by the stronger players. So then a long period of only occasional lurking. Then All-in to chess again since 2001. Sorry Jonathan, I don't think I overlapped with you at all.

Rowan, do you have anything in your records for the other three Wainuiomata College players I mentioned earlier? Fomotor, Rolfe, and Peter Collins? Of these I am only confident that Peter Collins graduated to club chess. In 2019 I am determined to get all your records (or at least all your tournament results) on to the NZCF site, I wanted to do it in 2018 but progress was slower than I'd like. I've got rid of the NZ Chess Magazine <--link but want to make the NZ Chess Bulletin <--link a thing this year. Also I have to maintain The Wellington Chess Club <--link and my Chess GUI, Tarrasch <--link . Not to mention the main NZCF <--link site. No rest for the wicked. Still can barely see the link colour, and this time it's during daylight.
    Last edited by Bill Forster; 24-02-2019 at 04:02 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    Bill. please feel free to add Adams-Marner above to Peter Stuart's (RIP) database. I am still looking for another Welington game of similar vintage that we played and he won where I played the Dragon.
    http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/schol...-body-d24.html contains a reference to Peter - and maybe a lost game for Bill?

Peter was still playing in 1996:

The 103rd consecutive New Zealand Chess Congress was held at the Wellington
    Airport Hotel, Wellington, 28 December to 11 January 1996.

Championship
    ------------

The Championship event was expected to be a contest between Russell Dive
    (returned from Europe with his IM title and a 2430 rating), Anthony Ker,
    and Paul Garbett -- in the event, Dive had to share the title with Martin
    Dreyer and Bob Smith. Russell ruefully noted that having White against the
    bottom two qualifiers virtually gave him 6 Blacks and 3 Whites for the
    tournament!
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Total
    1. Dreyer, Martin x = = = 1 = 1 = = = 1 1 7.5
    2. Dive, Russell = x = = = 1 = = = 1 1 1 7.5
    3. Smith, Robert = = x = = = = 1 = 1 1 1 7.5
    4. Ker, Anthony = = = x 0 1 = = 1 1 1 = 7
    5. Sinclair, Mark 0 = = 1 x 0 = = = = 1 1 6
    6. Garbett, Paul = 0 = 0 1 x 0 = 1 = 1 1 6
    7. Stuart, Peter 0 = = = = 1 x = = = 0 = 5
    8. Wastney, Scott = = 0 = = = = x 0 = = 1 5
    9. Sarfati, Jonathan = = = 0 = 0 = 1 x 0 = 1 5
    10. Love, Antony = 0 0 0 = = = = 1 x = = 4.5
    11. Tuffery, Paul 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 = = = x 1 3.5
    12. Coates, Simon 0 0 0 = 0 0 = 0 0 = 0 = 1.5

Reserve

The Reserve Championship was a close contest between the top three players.
    Going in to the last round, Nigel Metge and Peter Hawkes were tied on 7.5,
    with Matthew Barlow a half point back; Metge won quickly, but Hawkes was
    lucky to draw with Arthur Pomeroy and was caught by Barlow.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Total
    1. Metge, Nigel x 1 1 1 0 1 = = 1 = 1 1 8.5
    2. Hawkes, Peter 0 x = = 1 1 1 = 1 1 = 1 8
    3. Barlow, Matthew 0 = x = 1 1 = 1 = 1 1 1 8
    4. Pomeroy, Arthur 0 = = x 1 = = = = = = 1 6
    5. Guthrie, David 1 0 0 0 x = = = = = 1 1 5.5
    6. Steadman, Michael 0 0 0 = = x 1 1 1 = 1 0 5.5
    7. Cooper, David = 0 = = = 0 x 1 0 = = 1 5
    8. Mastilovich, Rajko = = 0 = = 0 0 x 1 = 1 = 5
    9. van der Hoorn, M 0 0 = = = 0 1 0 x 1 0 1 4.5
    10. Marner, Gavin = 0 0 = = = = = 0 x 0 = 3.5
    11. Turner, Michael 0 = 0 = 0 0 = 0 1 1 x 0 3.5
    12. Post, Martin 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 = 0 = 1 = 3

The success of the Metge family was continued by Nigel's son Russell Metge
    winning the Major Open with 9/11.
    Michael F

CC FIDE Master
    Rowan, do you have anything in your records for the other three Wainuiomata College players I mentioned earlier? Fomotor, Rolfe, and Peter Collins? Of these I am only confident that Peter Collins graduated to club chess.
    Correct, Peter Collins is the only one of the three who played club chess. He played at a couple of Mark Noble run clubs: Harbour and Petone. Last active in 1992. In that year, Mark Noble, Charles Ker, Phil Monrad, Gavin Marner, Peter Collins, Paul Connor and Richard Glover were members of Petone.
    Once a Kiwi, Always a Kiwi.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Meanwhile on board 1, Ross Powell (anyone remember him?) reached a symmetrical N+Ps v N+Ps ending v Chandler and safely drew.

Ross had an unhappy life and died a few years ago. Maybe this was one of the highlights of his life.
    Definitely remember him. A tragedy that he died quite young not long ago. When we were both at Victoria Uni, we traded logic lessons by him for chess lessons by me for about a year at lunchtimes. Around that time, he played for the Wellington Chess Club.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Candidate Master
    Following up various "matters arising" from this thread, I have gone ahead and modified the NZ Games Database (on the NZCF site) with the following changes.

1) The fallacious Gollogly - D Adams game has been removed (of course Gollogly - J Adams and D Adams - Gollogly are retained).
    2) I've added the game Jensen-Oliver from the 1978 Wellington Easter tournament, found by Michael Freeman and linked to earlier in the thread
    Quote Originally Posted by braindied View Post
    http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/schol...-body-d24.html contains a reference to Peter - and maybe a lost game for Bill?
    The reference to Peter Hawkes is that he won the chess quiz competition for the previous issue.
    3) As requested I've added the game J Adams - Marner from a 1984 Anzac Weekender.
    Notes:

Here is my transcription of the Jensen-Oliver game (Round 1, Wellington Easter Open 1978.03.22)

[Event "Wellington Easter Open"]
    [Site "Wellington"]
    [Date "1978.03.22"]
    [Round "1"]
    [White "Jensen, Kai J"]
    [Black "Oliver, D."]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "A28"]

PGN Viewer

This exercise was made interesting (in the Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times" sense) by the absence of the move pair 20. exd6 cxd6 in the Salient article. The article also showed 21. Rae1 which was an odd move in terms of logic and in terms of the follow up 22. Rxd6+! Then Black's next moves Kxd6 and Kc7 seemed in the first case strange and in the second case illegal given a Black pawn on c7. How 24.Bf4 is check was also odd given a White pawn on e5. But inserting the sensible move pair 20. exd6 cxd6, along with replacing the odd Rae1 with the logical Rad1 (which also makes Rxd6+ a legal move) solves all the mysteries and creates a very plausible game with a nice sacrificial finish (given appropriate exclamation) which made it publication worthy. A bit of digging around for similar columns suggests the annotator and the author of the (short lived) Salient chess column was David Beach, who has of course popped up multiple times in this thread. I attended Vic myself a year later in 1979 for Engineering Intermediate, and unfortunately the chess column was certainly dead by then.

Another point of interest is the unfortunate first round loser of this game, one "Oliver, D". The tournament report that appeared in the August 1978 issue of NZ Chess (see the NZCF site) shows this person was a Civic Club member at the time, and came second to last (it was a rather strong tournament). The tournament report includes five games, that Peter dutifully transcribed for the Database. It seems the Database was constructed mainly that way (Peter's README file reinforces that impression). A monumental amount of transcription work by Peter, the NZ chess community will be forever in his debt. So now there are six games from the tournament in the database. One of the existing five games also featured D Oliver, and until today was the only game he had in the database. His representation doubled today. I mention this mainly because the other game was against Capablanca Fan himself.

[Site "Wellington"]
    [Date "1978.03.23"]
    [Round "3"]
    [White "Sarfati, Jonathan D"]
    [Black "Oliver, D."]

PGN Viewer

A final couple of notes (it seems that Chess Database scholarship can be all consuming - just one or two games can absorb vast amounts of time and effort and there are millions of games out there). I have gone ahead and put Adams-Marner into the database. But I am a little concerned that the date given was actually a Thursday, given that the tournament was supposed to be an "Anzac Weekender". Anzac day in 1984 fell on a Wednesday (the day before the game), immediately after Easter, and so there was a Wellington Easter weekender a few days before this Thursday date. I think Anzac days did used to be "weekendized" in New Zealand, there are some "ANZAC weekender" type tournaments in the database, though not in 1984 until now.

I have only just noted that bringing the Peter Stuart database from Chessbase to PGN format with my (old) Chessbase V9 has resulted in thousands of games having bogus WhiteTeamCountry and BlackTeamCountry tags. For example Sarfati-Oliver above is bizarrely allegedly an Australia v Papua New Guinuea game! I put this down to a ChessBase bug, I think it is continuing on the tags with their existing values to games that don't have (and actually shouldn't have) the tags. Something else I'll have to fix in due course!
    Last edited by Bill Forster; 26-02-2019 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Fix typo

Thanks for all the work, Bill. It could be that that Wellington Anzac weekender was a Thursday to Saturday one. Hard to be certain now.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Another point of interest is the unfortunate first round loser of this game, one "Oliver, D". The tournament report that appeared in the August 1978 issue of NZ Chess (see the NZCF site) shows this person was a Civic Club member at the time, and came second to last (it was a rather strong tournament). The tournament report includes five games, that Peter dutifully transcribed for the Database. It seems the Database was constructed mainly that way (Peter's README file reinforces that impression). A monumental amount of transcription work by Peter, the NZ chess community will be forever in his debt. So now there are six games from the tournament in the database. One of the existing five games also featured D Oliver, and until today was the only game he had in the database. His representation doubled today. I mention this mainly because the other game was against Capablanca Fan himself.

[Site "Wellington"]
    [Date "1978.03.23"]
    [Round "3"]
    [White "Sarfati, Jonathan D"]
    [Black "Oliver, D."]

PGN Viewer

A final couple of notes (it seems that Chess Database scholarship can be all consuming - just one or two games can absorb vast amounts of time and effort and there are millions of games out there). I have gone ahead and put Adams-Marner into the database. But I am a little concerned that the date given was actually a Thursday, given that the tournament was supposed to be an "Anzac Weekender". Anzac day in 1984 fell on a Wednesday (the day before the game), immediately after Easter, and so there was a Wellington Easter weekender a few days before this Thursday date. I think Anzac days did used to be "weekendized" in New Zealand, there are some "ANZAC weekender" type tournaments in the database, though not in 1984 until now.

I have only just noted that bringing the Peter Stuart database from Chessbase to PGN format with my (old) Chessbase V9 has resulted in thousands of games having bogus WhiteTeamCountry and BlackTeamCountry tags. For example Sarfati-Oliver above is bizarrely allegedly an Australia v Papua New Guinuea game! I put this down to a ChessBase bug, I think it is continuing on the tags with their existing values to games that don't have (and actually shouldn't have) the tags. Something else I'll have to fix in due course!
    Oliver, D. = Dave Oliver. I remember him playing a few games with him when I was 12 and 13; he was a tall, ginger-haired, friendly man at the time. I had lost to him previously when he assayed the Dilworth Attack, but was better prepared for this game.

The report of this tournament was published in NZ Chess Aug 1978, pp. 84–86, now available online.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Candidate Master
    I am struggling to completely wrap this up and move on!

Firstly, in the Jensen-Oliver game I noticed that the missing move pair I detected (exd6,cxd6; neatly eliminating both the white e5 pawn and black c7 pawn that otherwise make the score illegal [and illogical]) is implied somewhat by the move numbers in the Salient source material. So we have 20 Rad1 Re8 but then a jump to 22 Rxd6+! This strongly implies that exd6,cxd6 is the missing move 21, not move 20 (before Rae1 Re8) as I originally had it. With the benefit of hindsight, this also seems slightly (significantly?) more natural from a chess perspective. So I have changed the game to reflect this;

[Site "Wellington"]
    [Date "1978.03.22"]
    [Round "1"]
    [White "Jensen, Kai J"]
    [Black "Oliver, Dave"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "A28"]

PGN Viewer

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Oliver, D. = Dave Oliver. I remember him playing a few games with him when I was 12 and 13; he was a tall, ginger-haired, friendly man at the time. I had lost to him previously when he assayed the Dilworth Attack, but was better prepared for this game.[/URL].
    I have changed both the Oliver, D games to Oliver, Dave. Why not. It's a pity we don't have a win (or at least a draw) for him. From the two games it looks like he was a decent player, good enough to provide worthy resistance to the masters Jensen and Sarfati as they produced exemplary wins, but perhaps not good enough to ever be even a minor master himself. Hmmm, territory that is uncomfortably close to home. At least I have a few nice wins in the NZ database.
    Last edited by Bill Forster; 27-02-2019 at 02:20 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    It could be that that Wellington Anzac weekender was a Thursday to Saturday one. Hard to be certain now.
    I suppose the public holiday moved to the Friday, then maybe a tournament that went Thursday evening through the long weekend. My discomfort came in part from the traditional Wellington weekender being the Easter tournament which in this particular year fell on the previous weekend. So two open tournaments in Wellington in consecutive [long] weekends? I suppose it's possible, and in the absence of any further information I guess we'll run with that.

I am struggling to completely wrap this up and move on!
    Thank you for the information about the schoolpupil chess scene in Wellington in the few years before I started playing. A lot of those names bring back memories.

Code:
    1	  3016AM	 Small, Vernon A           	  CA	2353	Wellington
    2	  3003SM	 Sutton, Richard J         	  CI	2343	deceased
    3	  3383AM	 Ker, Anthony F            	  CI	2321	active
    4	  3002AM	 Garbett, Paul A           	  NS	2295	active
    5	  3178AM	 Nokes, Roger I            	  NS	2293	Christchurcn
    6	  3459AM	 Dive, Russell J           	  CI	2289	active
    6  	  3001VM	 Sarapu, Ortvin            	  AC	2289    deceased 
    8	  3251AM	 Sarfati, Jonathan D       	  WE	2285	USA
    9	  3206AM	 Watson, Bruce R           	  NS	2272	active
    10	  3199UM	 Green, Peter R            	  AC	2257	
    11	  3007AM	 Green, Ewen M             	  HP	2256	active
    12	  3416UM	 Levene, Mark              	    	2246	London, UK
    13	  3231UM	 Aptekar, Lev              	  CI	2243	Australia
    14	  3390UM	 Lloyd, Adrian J           	    	2242	
    15	  3025AM	 Carpinter, Anthony L      	  NS	2239	active
    16	  3552JM	 Martin, Benjamin M S      	  OT	2224	Aberdeen, UK
    17	  3174UM	 Beach, David H            	  CI	2211	
    18	  3314UM	 McLaren, Leonard J        	  GA	2204	active
    19	  3088AM	 Smith, Robert W           	  WT	2201	active
    20	  3616UM	 Hampl, Michael            	  CI	2185	
    20   	  3176AM	 Love, Anthony J           	  OT	2185	Dunedin
    22	  3292UM	 Gollogly, David A         	  NS	2184	
    23	  3163AM	 Clemance, Philip A        	  CI	2176    deceased 
    24	  3696AM	 Lukey, Stephen G          	  CA	2174	active
    24   	  3009AM	 Wansink, Robert           	  OT	2174	Dunedin
    26	  3482AM	 Spain, Graeme A           	  GA	2171	active
    27	  3011UM	 Leonhardt, Wolfgang       	  NS	2153	Perth, AUS
    28	  3208UM	 Cordue, Patrick L         	  CI	2148	Wellington
    29	  3005AM	 Stuart, Peter W           	  NS	2137	deceased 
    30	  3296UM	 Anderson, Bruce R         	  CA	2131	
    31	  3336UM	 Bates, Giles T H          	  CA	2120	
    32	  3460AM	 Dreyer, Martin P          	  AC	2115	active
    32   	  3026UM	 Whaley, Michael G         	  NS	2115	
    34	  3052UM	 Weir, Peter B             	  NS	2109	
    35	  3573UM	 Cooper, Paul R            	  AC	2104	
    36	  3041UM	 Metge, J Nigel            	  AC	2100	active
    37	  3503UM	 Ker, Charles M            	  PE	2096	
    38	  3029UM	 Jackson, Jon R            	  NE	2094
    39	  3151AM	 Freeman, Michael R        	  NP	2090	active
    40	  3255AM	 Noble, Mark F             	  PE	2089	active
    41	  3201AM	 Steadman, Michael V R     	  CI	2082	active
    42	  3629AM	 Wilson, Mark C            	  CA	2081	
    43	  3148AM	 Dowden, R Anthony         	  OT	2073	active
    44	  3603UM	 Reyn, Isidor              	    	2061	
    44   	  3440UM	 Spencer-Smith, Gregory J         OT    2061	
    46	  3512UM	 Alexander, Ben J          	    	2051	
    47	  3010UM	 Hensman, Peter J          	    	2050	
    48	  3034UM	 Baker, Chris P            	  CA	2048	
    49	  3028SM	 Haase, Graham G           	  OT	2044	deceased
    50	  3613UM	 Fitzpatrick, Simon P      	  AC	2041
    16 players are still active in New Zealand chess.
    One of the older members on this list must be Wolfgang Leonhardt (b. 1928), who hails from Germany and has had long associations with both Perth and Auckland. I only met him once that I recall but I was immediately impressed with his friendliness. I played him in an Auckland-Otago Bledisloe Cup match, perhaps in the late 1970s. The result eludes me, so presumably I lost.

Wolfgang is listed under Australia on the FIDE rating list with a rating of 2055, however he has shown no activity in the period July 2001-March 2019. Nonetheless, at the age of 84 he shocked the Sandgropers by winning the 2013 Perth Chess Club Championship.

Wolfgang is a Life Member of the Chess Association of Western Australia. Here is his bio (from the Perth ChessClub site):

--------------------------------------------------
    Wolfgang was born on 27 December 1928 in Berlin, Germany. His father was Russian and his mother German. He first learnt chess when he was five years old, by his father. Wolfgang joined the Berlin Chess Club and won the U/12 Championship in 1939. Because of air raids on Berlin, all schools were evacuated to safe country areas or German protectorates.

Wolf's school; the German-Russian High school, was moved to the health spa Luhatschowitz, in Czechoslovakia. There he came 1st in the 1943 Bohemian Youth Championship. No more chess was played until after the war. In 1948 and 1949 Wolf obtained 1st place in the romantic "City of Rothenburg". University studies and work as an interpreter for the Australian Mission of the International Refugee Organisation in Schweinfurt left no time for chess.

Wolfgang's family immigrated to Australia, arriving at Fremantle on 31 December 1950. He lived for a while in the migrant camp at Northam. In 1951 Wolfgang appeared on the local chess scene and joined the Perth Chess Club. He found a great friend and mentor in Dr Alec Siglin, who was president of the Perth Club and the CAWA for some years.

Between 1952 and 1972 Wolf won the WA State Championship 8 times and was runner-up on 7 occasions. He also won the State Lightning Championship 11 times, and the "City of Perth" Championship 10 times. Wolfgang probably holds the record for a local player in a simultaneous event. He played against 38 competitors and finished with a score of 33 wins, 4 draws and one loss.

He also played a blindfold competition against 8 players and recorded 5 wins and 3 draws. Wolf's best result in an Australian Championship was 3rd place (wins against J Purdy, G Koshnitsky, Cook and others). In 1964 he established a chess column in the Sunday Times newspaper (for the CAWA) which he ran until 1984.

In 1956 Wolfgang became naturalised. He helped to establish, in 1958, the German speaking Rhein Donau Club in which he served as President from 1967 to 1969. Wolfgang married Gisela in 1960, and they had two sons. In 1968 he left employment with H. Selby & Co. (a company dealing in scientific apparatus, laboratory chemicals and apparatus and process control equipment) and joined Lufthansa German Airlines as the Manager for WA, opening their Perth office in 1969. He was subsequently promoted to Manager, New Zealand & the Pacific Islands in 1973 and was transferred to Auckland.

Naturally, due to work commitments, he hardly had any time to play competitive chess. However Lufthansa, with a worldwide staff of some 55,000 had a very active staff chess club. From 1974 to 1992 Wolf won the biannually held LH World Championship five times. The International Airline Teams World Championships began in Rio de Janeiro in 1977.

From the beginning, Wolf played on board 1 for his company. It is interesting to know that he participated in these championships for many years, which were played at many exotic venues such as Bangkok, Madrid, Honolulu, Penang, Tampa, Kathmandu, Las Vegas, Reykjavik, Miami, Lisbon, and twice on board a cruise ship in the Carribean Sea.

In NZ Wolf was for many years President of the German Association of New Zealand, the Auckland Goethe Society, and for 17 years President of the NZ German Student Exchange Society, member of the Executive Board of the NZ German Business Association. He also initiated and moderated the "Deutsche Stunde", a German Language broadcast from 1991 until 1999.

In 1955 he was awarded the "Federal Cross of Merit" by the President of the Federal Republic of Germany in recognition for his services. Other honours (chess) include Honorary Life Member of the ACF in 1961, the Perth Chess Club in 1973, and the CAWA 2000.

After returning to Perth in 1999 and settling in Landsdale, he shared 1st prize in the Yanchep/Two Rocks Tournament, and finished equal second in the 2001 State Championship.

Wolf joined the Metropolitan Chess Club and this year came equal first in the Club Championship, and first in the Respini Tournament. a very impressive return to the local chess scene.

Wolf is the WA President of the Society for Australian-German Student Exchange, Vice President of the Rhein Donau Club, and Co-moderator of the local "Deutsche Stunde" radio program on 6EBA FM 95.3.

He lectures chess at primary school and tutors privately. In addition, Wolf was invited to play for Lufthansa in this year's Airline teams World Championship, which was to be held in Cadun, Mexico, in November but the tournament was cancelled because of the events in USA in September.

Wolf's other hobby (besides chess) is music. He plays the saxophone, clarinet and piano-accordion in a Big Band in Germany, and in a smaller band in Perth. Due to an accident he stopped playing the piano, and instead plays the balalaika in a balalaika orchestra in Perth.
    --------------------
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

Thread Information