Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    CC International Master

Chess as a sport / definition of sport

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    dont start gareth :p i think chess is a sport.
    well I think it isn't. Anyone care to share their point of view?

If you ask me, its a real "grey area" as far as whether or not chess is a sport! I suppose for funding purposes it would be good if chess is a sport. :p

As far as the media is concerned, where does chess get categorised? The SMH has Peter Parr's weekly Monday column sandwiched between the business and classifieds. The Sun-Herald has Ian Rogers' article at the bottom of its weather page. On very rare occasions I see chess results in the sports sections of newspapers. Form what I remember the Bulletin (which I read about twice a year) has a chess article in its games section.

IMHO its in the "too hard" basket as to whether or not chess is a sport!

nice pun paul s :p but i dont agree that it is a gray area at all it is clearly black and white .

as i have said before and have admonished people previously about their opinion when they said that chess isnt really a sport(remember that jenni ) i firmly believe that chess is a sport. to me anything that is played in an organised competition with formal rules, codes of conducts etc is a sport.

Also one of the main reasons i consider chess to be a sport, is the timer. If you have a look at all other 'more mainstream' sports, they all have a time component. either it is how long you have to do your routine, or how long the games go for or the fastest wins. each has a finite time component. this is my opinion anyway.

nice pun paul s :p but i dont agree that it is a gray area at all it is clearly black and white .

as i have said before and have admonished people previously about their opinion when they said that chess isnt really a sport(remember that jenni ) i firmly believe that chess is a sport. to me anything that is played in an organised competition with formal rules, codes of conducts etc is a sport.

Also one of the main reasons i consider chess to be a sport, is the timer. If you have a look at all other 'more mainstream' sports, they all have a time component. either it is how long you have to do your routine, or how long the games go for or the fastest wins. each has a finite time component. this is my opinion anyway.
    I am quite happy to sometimes regard chess as a sport (and have it included on schoosl sports calendars etc). However I think when you are working in the junior area, you see a strong leaning into other areas. e.g. when we are talking to schools we really push the educational benefits of chess. It then becomes very hard to regard chess as a "pure" sport, when you can see so much more to it.

I had to go on local ABC radio the other day for a bit of a chat on chess and I did some research prior to going on. The USA is doing a fair bit on the educational benefits of chess and one of the things that impressed me was a claim that in some research in California, 55% of children showed an increase in attention span and concentration after having chess introduced into the curriculum.

I don't think we should be ashamed to say chess is multi-dimensioned - it is more than just a sport, but crosses boundaries between art, sport and education.

I

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    I don't think we should be ashamed to say chess is multi-dimensioned - it is more than just a sport, but crosses boundaries between art, sport and education.
    Well said Jenni!

jenni, you say that chess provides so much more than 'just' sport, but i would think every sport provides more than just sport?

jenni, you say that chess provides so much more than 'just' sport, but i would think every sport provides more than just sport?
    Well yes it does - co-operation, team spirit, facing adversity etc etc.

I haven't seen too much in sport that build cognitive ability though? Although having said that I had an interesting chat to some soccer people when I was at a Sport and Rec lunch the other day. They had one of our good chess kids in one of their soccer teams and they made the comment that his strategic thinking ability enabled him to play very intelligent soccer and I made the comment that his soccer fitness enabled him to play good chess.

So perhaps there is more cross over than first appears evident with strategic thinking of benefit in many sports.

However I would find it hard to convince a school that cricket or even softball (one of the really strategic sports), is needed to extend mathematically advanced students, whereas it is much easier to argue the case for chess.

yes, it's more than a sport

Indeed, Jenni,

It's a wonder chess isn't on the world cultural heritage list ... ( is there such a thing?) ... (unless it is there already) ...

Hmmm, how would UNESCO react to the idea?

eclectic

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S

As far as the media is concerned, where does chess get categorised? The SMH has Peter Parr's weekly Monday column sandwiched between the business and classifieds. The Sun-Herald has Ian Rogers' article at the bottom of its weather page. On very rare occasions I see chess results in the sports sections of newspapers. Form what I remember the Bulletin (which I read about twice a year) has a chess article in its games section.

IMHO its in the "too hard" basket as to whether or not chess is a sport!
    Paul

The SUn Herald has chess in the sports section regularly. It is one of the only papers here to do so regularly mate
    Always do your Best

CC International Master
    I had to go on local ABC radio the other day for a bit of a chat on chess and I did some research prior to going on. The USA is doing a fair bit on the educational benefits of chess and one of the things that impressed me was a claim that in some research in California, 55% of children showed an increase in attention span and concentration after having chess introduced into the curriculum.

I
    where did you get this research????? is there a web link you could post for us here????

55% increase is very impressive
    Always do your Best

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garethbcharles
    well I think it isn't. Anyone care to share their point of view?
    I can't think why it isn't a sport. Why do you think chess isn't a sport?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC FIDE Master
    Is Lloyd Fell an athlete?

Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    Is Lloyd Fell an athlete?
    Isn't Lloyd (I presume you mean Lloyd Fell Snr) an excellent example of the benefits of chess in helping to keeping ones mind alert in later years?

As for being an athlete, he, for his age, may be fitter than many younger chess players.

eclectic

Obviously we don't know how reliable that study was without things like sample size and availability of statistical analysis but that is an encouraging figure.

Personally, I don't know if chess has improved my concentration. I have a lot of trouble concentrating during a long chess game, during university lectures and sometimes even in conversations - It's really irritating to not be able to focus too since I believe concentration is a very useful asset in both learning and performance.

Specifically in chess, that's why I believe I perform so much better in games around 15 minutes rather than an hour, as my concentration waivers in long games and I spend most of my clock time thinking about anything but my game. No wonder my rapid rating is about 300 points higher than my normal....
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

In my beloved Philippines, chess is definitely treated as a sport. News regarding it appear in the sports pages. And as I have mentioned elsewhere, chess receives funding from the government Sports Commission body.

Anyway, my own feeling is that chess is not a sport. I will only say it is for the sake of supporting the aims to acquire government funding.

AR

Thread Information