Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Rookie
    Since there seems to be a bit of controversy over my quick draw with Junta Ikeda (A friend showed me a few comments from a different site saying I fixed a draw to secure a GM norm) I would like to clarify the situation. Firstly a GM norm is impossible in this event as Vlad has already pointed out due to the rating average being too low. As for “fixing” an IM norm, I have no intention of even applying for the title even if I get all the required norms (unless my federation pays for it, which I am skeptical of given my history with the CTCA). IM is simply not a goal that I care about, so the suggestion that I am prearranging draws to secure IM norms is insulting and frankly, pretty stupid.

Regarding the game itself, Junta is a good friend of mine and I have worked on openings with him a lot in the past - in fact we know each other’s repertoires inside out. We have also played many training games in the Berlin, all of them ending in draws. Now if my goal is to win the tournament, it does not make much sense to me to waste all my energy in the morning round, trying several hours to win a game I am unlikely to win anyway. Especially when there are two rounds a day and quality of the second game tends to drop considerably after a tough first game.

Quick summary of why I forced a draw after the Berlin appeared on the board:
    1) Against a strong opponent, the Berlin is a draw in 90% of cases and it is not a good tournament strategy to drag the game out
    2) Junta is a good friend of mine and training partner. We have played hundreds of games, know each other’s openings and styles and when we get paired with one another in a tournament it is always a very unpleasant pairing
    It has nothing to do with "fixing" norms, and those who follow my games know that I never play these kind of games under normal circumstances.
    Last edited by halfnatty; 28-04-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Final Round of the Sydney International Open running on Chess24 https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-to...pen-2019/9/1/3

FM Raymond Song has already scored his IM norm after round 8 As above he isn't planning to apply for it but we wish him all the best for his GM title which I'm guessing is the goal
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    I wonder if he will join a select few to become a GM without ever being an IM, such as Larry Christiansen, Wang Hao, Anish Giri, Vladimir Kramnik, and I can't remember if Gary Kasparov was ever an IM.
    It is quite common in Russia nowadays. For example, Aleksei Sarana was a 2500+ non-titled player before he qualified to become a GM.

There is no much benefit from an IM title in Russia and you have to pay the fee yourselve (+20% tax to the Russian federation).

CC Grandmaster
    While there have been a couple of quick draws on top boards (strangly enough - from players who I would think be more likely to play for win e.g Gm Kunte or Brodie as White) - Raymond is pressing against GM on board 1~
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    While there have been a couple of quick draws on top boards (strangly enough - from players who I would think be more likely to play for win e.g Gm Kunte or Brodie as White) - Raymond is pressing against GM on board 1~
    Update: and his position is now (after move 30) is close to winning if not winning.

Great performance by Raymond. Congrats to all the winners. Pleased to see Gary Lane scored a 2400 performance with 6/9. The same score achieved by Zhilin who I see at Rooty Hill every week as she brings her son Daniel Wang.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Grandmaster
    http://chess-results.com/tnr431723.a...fed=AUS&snr=46

1484 rated Jack Keating scored 8/9 gained 220 rating points. He is a junior... but not a micro-junior so amazing progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Great performance by Raymond. Congrats to all the winners. Pleased to see Gary Lane scored a 2400 performance with 6/9. The same score achieved by Zhilin who I see at Rooty Hill every week as she brings her son Daniel Wang.
    The top–FIDE-rated U-8 player in Australia? Does WGM Jělín do any tournament directing, given that she is an IA?
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    The top–FIDE-rated U-8 player in Australia? Does WGM Jělín do any tournament directing, given that she is an IA?
    Yes on Daniel and I am hoping to get her arbiting when she can!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by halfnatty View Post
    Since there seems to be a bit of controversy over my quick draw with Junta Ikeda (A friend showed me a few comments from a different site saying I fixed a draw to secure a GM norm)
    I believe it is this comment here https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-to...pen-2019/5/1/6
    Unknown user
    Fantastic 11 move and 3 repetition draw by Junta and Raymond Song! THis is what chess is all about! Now Song is in the lead!
    Apr 27
    Prearrange draws to get GM norms is the way to go in Australia

Since there seems to be a bit of controversy over my quick draw with Junta Ikeda (A friend showed me a few comments from a different site saying I fixed a draw to secure a GM norm) I would like to clarify the situation. Firstly a GM norm is impossible in this event as Vlad has already pointed out due to the rating average being too low. As for “fixing” an IM norm, I have no intention of even applying for the title even if I get all the required norms (unless my federation pays for it, which I am skeptical of given my history with the CTCA). IM is simply not a goal that I care about, so the suggestion that I am prearranging draws to secure IM norms is insulting and frankly, pretty stupid.

Regarding the game itself, Junta is a good friend of mine and I have worked on openings with him a lot in the past - in fact we know each other’s repertoires inside out. We have also played many training games in the Berlin, all of them ending in draws. Now if my goal is to win the tournament, it does not make much sense to me to waste all my energy in the morning round, trying several hours to win a game I am unlikely to win anyway. Especially when there are two rounds a day and quality of the second game tends to drop considerably after a tough first game.

1) Against a strong opponent, the Berlin is a draw in 90% of cases and it is not a good tournament strategy to drag the game out
    2) Junta is a good friend of mine and training partner. We have played hundreds of games, know each other’s openings and styles and when we get paired with one another in a tournament it is always a very unpleasant pairing
    It has nothing to do with "fixing" norms, and those who follow my games know that I never play these kind of games under normal circumstances.
    Thanks for clarifying and coming out clean halfnatty.(Not that you had anything to hide or be ashamed of anyway!)

You and Junta did the right thing and you are beyond reproach and suspicion.

Maybe some anonymous chessbutt wowsers would have been happier if you carried on hypocritically for 25-30 aimless moves and then agreed to split the point.

Same goes for social media grave digging busybodies.

Congratulations for your great performance!
    Last edited by ER; 29-04-2019 at 03:29 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Rookie

You are an exceptional and amazing player. Best wishes with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Thanks for clarifying and coming out clean halfnatty.(Not that you had anything to hide or be ashamed of anyway!)

You and Junta did the right thing and you are beyond reproach and suspicion.

Maybe some anonymous chessbutt wowsers would have been happier if you carried on hypocritically for 25-30 aimless moves and then agreed to split the point.

Same goes for social media grave digging busybodies.

Congratulations for your great performance!
    Indeed so. Whingers are going to whinge, even about two outstanding performances in a row.

Thread Information