Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Account Compromised
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    76

    Dorothy Dibley Shield

    Speaking of womens chess. The dorthy dibely-every1 seems to think thats finished. It wasnt held this year. The computers seem to be hard to get all the states to join in. Why dont they try and go back to old telephone system? -at least we had a comp then.

    This would be good to help promote more women playing chess. The DD was also a very enjoyble match and a good goss time before playing.

  2. #2
    CC Candidate Master jeffrei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    153

    separate thread pleez

    Quote Originally Posted by Candy-Cane
    Speaking of womens chess. The dorthy dibely-every1 seems to think thats finished. It wasnt held this year. The computers seem to be hard to get all the states to join in. Why dont they try and go back to old telephone system? -at least we had a comp then.

    This would be good to help promote more women playing chess. The DD was also a very enjoyble match and a good goss time before playing.
    I agree with this, and from a coach's point-of-view certainly hope that the event will come back into existence in 2005. Perhaps it would be a good idea to go back to the telephone system in 2005 and then see if someone can put forward a good plan for an internet-based comp in 2006. Perhaps someone would like to start dreaming about sponsorship from a computer company or ISP...

    Maybe the mods should cut Vaness's post and mine out and make a new thread with it.

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster Denis_Jessop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    3,333
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrei
    I agree with this, and from a coach's point-of-view certainly hope that the event will come back into existence in 2005. Perhaps it would be a good idea to go back to the telephone system in 2005 and then see if someone can put forward a good plan for an internet-based comp in 2006. Perhaps someone would like to start dreaming about sponsorship from a computer company or ISP...

    Maybe the mods should cut Vaness's post and mine out and make a new thread with it.

    I'm sure the ACF would be interested in internet-based competitions even going beyond the DD. In a recent post I referred to the possibility of an inter-State teams competition played that way to pick up on the now-defunct telegraphic matches that used to be held some years ago. Also players in States like WA, who get little opportuniy to play outside their State for geographical reasons, may welcome such a development. There are other possibilities like inter-club matches.

    Denis Jessop

  4. #4
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrei
    I agree with this, and from a coach's point-of-view certainly hope that the event will come back into existence in 2005. Perhaps it would be a good idea to go back to the telephone system in 2005 and then see if someone can put forward a good plan for an internet-based comp in 2006. Perhaps someone would like to start dreaming about sponsorship from a computer company or ISP...
    .
    WA and Vic seemed to be the states that had the most trouble with getting computers (still find this amazing.....).

    However another problem is just finding people to run the matches. This year I said I was happy to have the matches in my home (I have a computer network at home and with a bit of BYO computers, we can host it), but not to organise the matches. The ACT so far has been unable to find an effective organiser.

    Last year when I was organising ACT, I was unable to find anyone in Queensland who would admit to being an organiser. Vic seemed pretty lacking in an organiser last year as well.

    So I don't think it is as simple as saying lets go back to the old way of doing it (which was inordinately time consuming and error prone), but more the whole thing needs to have proper state organisers in place.
    Last edited by jenni; 23-12-2004 at 11:09 AM.

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    I'm sure we already had a thread about this...

    As I've said before, I'm happy to suggest the use of Alan Goldsmith's ICoN server to host the matches, as it did last year.

    I don't think the phone matches were cost effective.. I don't see a problem holding it online, most events are relayed online these days anyway.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  6. #6
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    I'm sure we already had a thread about this...

    As I've said before, I'm happy to suggest the use of Alan Goldsmith's ICoN server to host the matches, as it did last year.

    I don't think the phone matches were cost effective.. I don't see a problem holding it online, most events are relayed online these days anyway.
    ICoN worked extremely well. The matches were over by 3pm, or shortly thereafter, as opposed to 6pm and some of the games still going to adjudication.

    However WA are adamant that they can't get any computers, Vic seemed to have a similar problem. ACT has no organiser and I am not sure if VIC and QLD have ones either.

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    My understanding is ACT, NSW and SA would have been quite able to field teams, VIC and QLD were not interested in playing. WA could not get computer access except at a very high and prohibitive cost. I understand an attempt to run it next year is highly likely.

  8. #8
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    My understanding is ACT, NSW and SA would have been quite able to field teams, VIC and QLD were not interested in playing. WA could not get computer access except at a very high and prohibitive cost. I understand an attempt to run it next year is highly likely.
    ACT has heaps of good girls (who really enjoyed the DD). We now even have a reasonable woman (Shannon) and a few bad ones.

    We have a venue, computer access, but no organiser. It does actually take a bit of organising, because trying to get 10 females in the same place on the same day is not an easy endeavour.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Dorothy Dibley Shield?
    By jeffrei in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 12:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •