Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Why Kennan Lose game??

Rd 1 Trundle.What happened?
    Yours sincerely,Darryl Johansen.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    According to https://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/to...19/pairs1.html Clarke - Izzat

PGN Viewer

Mobile phone? Incomplete move list?
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 05-01-2019 at 11:19 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    https://doubleroo.blogspot.com/2019/...LsDs_hgfsgDvao

I am pretty sure though Kannan was not trying to cheat.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    https://doubleroo.blogspot.com/2019/...LsDs_hgfsgDvao

I am pretty sure though Kannan was not trying to cheat.
    Wow. Thanks for posting the link.

Kanans statement on the issue on social media:

Quote Originally Posted by Kanan Izzat
    Alright fellas, as expected this is getting out of hand, and people who love me so much in chess community without a doubt are onto this and trying to paint the situation in much worse colors as it was. Here is what exactly happened - I’m sure for those of you who knows me well I don’t need to defend myself, the rest can judge as they want:

I was invited for a GM norm tournament in New Zealand - a country I have never been to and was very excited to visit as a tourist. Unfortunately due to the late withdrawal of one of the foreign GMs, the tournament became only IM norm, and lost a huge chunk of significance to me, as I am hunting for my final GM norm. My hunt for the last norm has been very unsuccessful leading up to this tournament, so my passion to play chess was likewise - very low. I’ll try to keep this short for tldr purposes. I own two mobile phones. One is my relatively old Galaxy Note and a relatively new Iphone. As we all know Iphone (mine is 16gb) has memory issues, and I am planning on traveling around NZ after the tournament and taking a lot of pics. So I decided I’ll take both phones for this tournament, as partly I am visiting this country for traveling purposes too. Long story short, being a bit of a sciencey guy, I didn’t want to keep both phones in the same pocket of my shorts, as it is pretty bad for electronics, so I put the other one inside the inner pocket of my jacket ever since the airport check in. Why inner pocket? Because the outer one is too shallow and it kept popping out. Okay. So I arrive to NZ. First round begins at 2pm, my opponent Brandon Clarke and I are at a cafe nearby, having a chat and waiting for our drinks, which are taking ages to be served, so we are late for the game. It’s all good though, being late for the game is a usual thing for me. Its around 2:06pm, so we quickly rush back to the venue, I am still wearing my jacket, we both hand in our phones to the arbiter, and begin the game.

The game has begun, we are even cracking some jokes as we are playing out first few moves (yep, I know, unprofessional). Anyway, we reach some sort of a position out of the opening, where Brandon starts to think, and I get up to go for a usual walk around the boards. As I am walking, I put my hands in my pockets, and realize “Oh shit”, I still have the phone in my jacket. Okay now, before going ahead with the story, let me admit to something. In hindsight, I most definitely should have gone up to the arbiter and laid out everything as is. Why didn’t I do so? In all honesty, I was just very scared that I will be misunderstood, and it will become public and hurt my reputation (ironic). So I panicked a lot, and made a rushed decision that alright, I need to turn it off so it doesn’t make any sounds. So I decided to go outside and turn my phone off. ALRIGHT, THIS IS WHERE the false story-telling begins by Mr Alex Wohl, who already wrote a lovely post about me few years ago when I pulled out of Doeberl Cup, clearly indicating his sympathy towards me. So this is what ACTUALLY happened:

I went outside, and obviously just looked around to make sure there are no people around. Mr Alex Wohl portraying this act as “he glanced up in my direction and swiftly put it in his pocket”. If you look at the angle of those glass things on the window, how the hell can anyone from down outside even notice anybody observing me? Anyway, that’s not even an important part. Who cares. THIS IS where it gets really weird: so I turned off my phone, put it in my pocket, and as I am walking back to the playing hall, I see the arbiter walking up in my direction. Mr Alex Wohl claims “the arbiter asked him to return to the playing hall”. First of all, wtf? If the arbiter is informed I am possessing an electronic device DURING a game, why doesn’t he confront me on the spot? He has all the rights. And I bloody wish he did, then my phone could be checked and it would just be a normal forfeit without any accusations. But anyway, you know what the arbiter said to me? “Oh this is another part of the Auckland Chess Centre (pointing at the house right nearby)” and just having a good old chat about the chess centre as we are naturally walking back to the venue. LOL! I have nothing against the arbiter, seems like a good bloke, if anything he just treated the situation quite unprofessionally. So I returned back to my board, we played out few more moves, my opponent made pretty strong moves in my opinion, leading to him getting a better position out of the opening, and having a higher rating than my opponent I felt I had the right to offer a draw, which was accepted.

Alright, so let's imagine the situation from my perspective at that given time:
    I just avoided a situation that could be quite unfortunate for me, I felt bad inside that it happened this way but ultimately knowing that I had no malicious intentions, I was like okay, let's make sure I just never make such mistakes again.
    So, I return back to my motel room, everything is alright, and I receive an email from the organizer of the tournament Mike Steadmann. The email says: "You have been seen with a phone outside the playing venue during the game, could you please clarify this situation for me?"
    When I got the email I was honest and explained the situation to the organizer. I told him I did have an electronic device and I didn't use it to cheat or intended to use it to cheat. I got a reply from Mike in couple of hours, saying that the same thing happened to him once too, and he had to forfeit the game, and that the rule is strict and it has been discussed with the arbiters, and since I admit to it, I have to forfeit the game. To which I was like okay, fair enough. Ofc I was unhappy, but hey I did breach the rule, and I gotta take full responsibility for it.

NOW, for those of you who have some basic logic, let's analyze the motives of me trying to cheat, according to the accusations of Mr Alex Wohl:

1) Everybody who knows me knows that all I care at this point of my chess career is my final norm, for which I only get 2 chances during a calendar year, which are the GM round robin events held in Adelaide and Melbourne. In both of those tournaments I performed average, having played some good and poor games. Didn't get my norms.

2) The 3rd tournament coming up after those two was Aus Open, while it was technically possible to get a norm in that event, anyone who understand chess a little bit realizes how hard it would be to score a GM norm in that field, basically requiring me to beat all the top seeds and play 3 GMs out of all 3 available, and get some luck with federation counts. Either way, I lose to much lower rated player than me in Round 3, then in Round 4 I have a completely lost position against 1900, I get lucky and win, Round 5 same story, very bad position against 2000 rated player, got lucky and won. Round 6 Yi Liu walked into my preparation, so it was quite a quick game, Round 7 was a quick draw against GM Papin. Round 8, in a crazy battle against GM Darryl everything came down to a mutual time scramble, with an evaluation going up and down with each move, I was the more fortunate one at the end. Last round I offered a quick draw to my friend Bobby Cheng, but my position was a bit worse at that point, and he rightfully refused, but turned out he had pushed a bit too had and I ended up being up a pawn and winning the game from there. Series of fortunate events, and I tired for the first place.

3) Okay, here comes NZ tournament. IM round robin event, really possesses no real significance to my chess aspirations, other than having to play yet another 9 rounds on top of 27 games already played in 1 month. But okay, the deal is a deal, can't pull out, so let's go.

Now can anybody explain to me, what kind of fool would I have to be, to decide and cheat in such an insignificant event, after having blown away all my chances for my so wanted last GM norm, yet in such idiotic fashion such as going outside in an open court and pulling out my phone to cheat in ROUND 1 OUT OF THE OPENING against someone that I am friends with? Like would it make any logical sense for me to have such intentions? Besides, IF my intention WAS TO CHEAT, why the hell would I offer a quick draw to Brandon on move 13? I did not see anyone observing me, the arbiter that could have "caught" me, just had a good old chat with me, so in my mind, if I am to cheat, I just got away with everything right? Like cmon now, I understand all of this story doesn't look good on me and all, and I sincerely apologize to my opponent that this entire situation has happened in a game against him, but if you just think logically about it, how would it make sense for me to try and cheat in this event, in the first round, OUTSIDE IN AN OPEN BLOODY LAND, then go and offer my opponent a draw. It's really obvious in my opinion that there were clearly no motives for me to cheat in this event whatsoever.

One thing that I will say is that yes, it may seem that my story seems a bit flaky, coz why would I have TWO phones on myself?? But as I have said already, it was merely an innocent mistake, and an understandable one, and once again if my intention was to cheat, I would simply deny all the accusations in first place, because there was literally no proof and no action taken by anyone at the time. I decided to be honest about this and take the full responsibility for the mistake I made. AND YES, I SHOULD HAVE TOLD THE ARBITER. Yes. I know. But understandably, I got scared that it could be misunderstood, especially given I have never met the arbiter before and it's a different country. I was wrong, I admit, but I panicked, did not want my reputation to suffer from it, so made a wrong judgement. However, all I am standing up here for is that there was no malicious intent whatsoever, and according to the FIDE rules 11.3, I breached the rule of "not possessing any electronic device" for which I was rightfully penalized by receiving a loss for that game. Cheating involves a level of maliciousness and intent. I had no intent and I deny any such accusations.

In conclusion, everyone who knows me somewhat well and has played any type of quick chess with me (blitz or rapid or allegro) knows that my chess strength is around 2500 mark, so it really wouldn't make sense for me to try and cheat in order to beat people who are lower rated than me, given I am the top seed in this event.

Thanks
    [Today 11:14 PM] Firegoat7: "Please be civil to young Lekkas, otherwise I am going to have to make Voodoo"
    [Today 11:16 PM] Firegoat7: furthermore u can add " I as got the dolls and I noes how ta use em"

Settle it over a game! I take bets!

Attachment 3718

Interesting position this one!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Candidate Master
    "Kanans statement on the issue on social media":

A personal comment from afar, on this gracious and humble declaration: It makes me scared even to think of playing in a club game, given my forgetfulness on mobiles, before I would pull myself together.

Quote Originally Posted by Lekko View Post
    Kanans statement on the issue on social media:
    And thanks very much for posting this. It is very good to have both sides of the story on here.

Did Izzat's opponent get half a point or a full point with the forfeit?
    meep meep

As far as I know, he was given the full point.
    [Today 11:14 PM] Firegoat7: "Please be civil to young Lekkas, otherwise I am going to have to make Voodoo"
    [Today 11:16 PM] Firegoat7: furthermore u can add " I as got the dolls and I noes how ta use em"

CC FIDE Master
    The comments in response to Kanan's social media post show that this matter has likely been blown out of proportion. There is also a comment from Kanan's opponent from the game supporting him.

My thoughts, which I also raised to Mr Wohl in response to his blog post:

1. From, admittingly, only a cursory read of the Fide handbook it would appear Mr Izzat has breached Article 11.3(b). However, I cannot see a definition of cheating in the handbook so the word must be given its ordinary meaning. In this context I would expect that to be "cheating" requires purposeful intent to use some sort of information or device to obtain an unfair advantage. Further, if you read deeper into 11.3(b) it would appear the arbiter has handed down the recommended punishment;

2. It is dangerous to just approach these circumstances as black and white. I disagree with the argument that just because someone has an electronic device instantly means they are a cheater. I have experienced, as well I am sure many others have in the chess community, mobile phones of other players ringing or beeping during events. This is also a clear breach of Article 11.3(b) but we don't consider these individuals "cheaters". We just consider them people who forgot to turn their phone off; and

3. I expect the arbiters and organisers don't want the event to be ruined by such a controversy. Now that the recommended penalty has been handed down by the arbiters as prescribed in the rules I think the matter has run its course.

The comments in response to Kanan's post highlight that this event should bring into question journalist ethics and reporting standards. One such comment reads

"When I first read about this it made me sick, angry and embarrassed (to be part of the chess community), knowing that there are people out there ready to snitch on their fellow chess players for a minor infraction of the rules. This was reported to Kanan's opponent, the arbiters, to FIDE, even random players in the tournament, and if that wasn't enough, put up on a blog! What a a disgusting way to treat someone and tarnish their reputation."

I have no doubt that this event has caused Kanan a lot of angst over the past few days which is not fair. Kanan has the right for this matter to be dealt with privately rather than for it to be widely publicised in a blog advertised as "mistake or intentional cheating". This is just poor journalism as it provides only one side of the argument from an individual who only witnessed an event and did not have to hand off the necessary facts to provide an informative and objective piece.
    Last edited by Altecman; 06-01-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Altecman View Post
    I have no doubt that this event has caused Kanan a lot of angst over the past few days which is not fair. Kanan has the right for this matter to be dealt with privately rather than for it to be widely publicised in a blog advertised as "mistake or intentional cheating". This is just poor journalism as it provides only one side of the argument from an individual who only witnessed an event and did not have to hand off the necessary facts to provide an informative and objective piece.
    Agreed. I don't know if the intention was to get more views on his blog or to try and get into Kanan's head while he's competing in a very strong tournament but it's been blown out of proportion and needs to be put to bed.

From Kanan's opponent, Brandon Clarke:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Clarke
    From my perspective, the right punishment has occurred with him being forfeited for that game and that should be the end of it. Kanan isn’t a cheater.

It seems to me that the problem was the the phone situation wasn't addressed immediately. Izzat, Clarke and Wohl all express surprise that the organisers didn't take it more seriously. This caused Clarke and Wohl to escalate it until that found somebody who did.

I suspect if the Arbiter had asked to see the phone, confirmed that it wasn't being used to cheat and then forfeited the game we'd all just be shaking our heads at the silly player who forgot they were carrying their phone and lost a game.

CC Grandmaster
    Checking the phone is very easy. This could have been done by the arbiter on the spot. Can easily check download history, sites accessed etc. Not sure about checking time of access on a Galaxy phone though but I think can be done and should have been done.

But let's assume the person is innocent unless proven guilty! I keep being reminded by fellow chesschatters about ''innocent Sudanese children etc.'' who have not been prosecuted (or not prosecuted just yet).

What surprises me most is that when told that a participant has a phone on him that is turned on, the arbiter did not act upon this straight away. ''The phone issue'' has been around for some years now and the arbiters should clearly be prepared to deal with it. Curiously, Alex Wohl's Fb post includes passage where he discuses how his phone was on and when he realised it he approached the arbiter...and was 'forgiven''.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by slyall View Post
    I suspect if the Arbiter had asked to see the phone, confirmed that it wasn't being used to cheat and then forfeited the game we'd all just be shaking our heads at the silly player who forgot they were carrying their phone and lost a game.
    I really hope by the end of the tournament this incident will be peacefully resolved between Alex and Izzat...

Thread Information