Page 82 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1392
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Absolutely! Lets threat them all equally. No dobule standards. Lets stop all interventions at once.
    China is increasing its participation in UN peacekeeping operations, for a number of reasons:

• China’s participation in the United Nation’s Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) is only the second time in its history that the country has contributed combat troops to a UN peacekeeping mission.
    • China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) has used its participation in MINUSMA to train its personnel to operate in a hostile environment, gain experience working with other UN contingents and in a French-speaking country, and test new military equipment.
    • The MINUSMA experience has also underscored for China the importance of improving interactions with local populations, strengthening cooperation with local militaries, and better communicating the value of China’s growing role in UN peacekeeping to Chinese citizens.
    • However, the PLA contingent in Mali has remained largely risk adverse, particularly since a May 2016 attack that killed one Chinese soldier and injured four others. Moreover, the leading role played by French counterterrorism forces has mostly limited the activities of Chinese combat troops to building infrastructure and providing medical care.
    • China’s participation in MINUSMA underscores Beijing’s ambition to become a key player in UN peacekeeping operations and African security, which is a reflection of its efforts to expand its diplomatic influence and soft power around the world.
    https://www.usip.org/publications/20...acekeeper-mali

Or if not, why are we critical of a single country simply because they have a political system different from ours?
    We're not. It's China's human rights abuses under criticism, not its political system per se
    Last edited by Ian Murray; 30-11-2021 at 01:23 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    Absolutely! Lets threat them all equally. No dobule standards. Lets stop all interventions at once. Or if not, why are we critical of a single country simply because they have a political system different from ours?
    It's great that you are now opposed to a Chinese 'intervention' in Taiwan or Australia! Although I'm not sure why you support leaving Chinese citizens in the Solomons to be slaughtered - I certainly don't. And, as I've said, I have no objection to the Chinese intervention in Mali.

I'm also surprised you believe it was wrong for the US to have 'intervened' in Germany to stop the Holocaust. I certainly don't!

CC Grandmaster
    Re China ''controlling social media''
    https://www.afr.com/companies/media-...box=1638067525
    There is a difference:

Sophia* is a tennis fan living in south-west China who seldom misses watching any major tournament. But she hasn't heard even a whisper about the scandal engulfing one of the country's biggest champions former world number 1 doubles player Peng Shuai.

While the hashtag #WhereIsPengShuai has gone viral in the Twittersphere and has dominated international news headlines in recent weeks, Sophia's question is not an odd one in China. Ever since Ms Peng dropped a #MeToo bombshell on social media, accusing China's former vice-premier Zhang Gaoli of sexual assault, her name and Weibo account have been widely censored in China.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    It's great that you are now opposed to a Chinese 'intervention' in Taiwan or Australia! Although I'm not sure why you support leaving Chinese citizens in the Solomons to be slaughtered - I certainly don't. And, as I've said, I have no objection to the Chinese intervention in Mali.

I'm also surprised you believe it was wrong for the US to have 'intervened' in Germany to stop the Holocaust. I certainly don't!
    I am surprised that you seem to have your mind set already on what exactly is happening arund the globe. You haver your view of what is happening in Solomons and you have your view what is going on between Taiwan and China. Do you consider that Chinese view may be different from yours?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    I am surprised that you seem to have your mind set already on what exactly is happening arund the globe. You haver your view of what is happening in Solomons and you have your view what is going on between Taiwan and China. Do you consider that Chinese view may be different from yours?
    I know what China's view is. I'm interested in your view.

CC Grandmaster
    I know what China's view is. I'm interested in your view.
    My view is that Affairs between China and Taiwan are their internal affairs. I am not going to be an arm-chair critique for something which is a historically complex matter.

CC International Master
    My view is that Affairs between China and Taiwan are their internal affairs. I am not going to be an arm-chair critique for something which is a historically complex matter.
    This is just false. China and Taiwan are seperate, how China treats Taiwan is an external matter.

CC Grandmaster
    So your position today is the opposite of what you said yesterday!

Absolutely! Lets threat them all equally. No dobule standards. Lets stop all interventions at once. Or if not, why are we critical of a single country simply because they have a political system different from ours?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    This is just false. China and Taiwan are seperate, how China treats Taiwan is an external matter.
    Exactly. I wasn't talking about diplomatic relations or trade between the two countries, which would be internal matters. I was referring to a Chinese 'intervention' in Taiwan, which would just be a polite term for an invasion. If Michael has no objection to that, then he should also have no objection to an Australian intervention in the Solomon Islands.

Unfortunately, when it comes to the Chinese Communist Party, Michael is just "toeing the party line".

CC Grandmaster
    So your position today is the opposite of what you said yesterday!
    I am consistent in my view that What happens between China and Taiwan is none of our business! I am also consistent that therea re double standards. How do these 2 statements contradict each other?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    Scott, you know my view on these matters. You can take a gun and go off to the war. You can stop buying Chinese products (will increase your cost of living though). You can protest all your like. But do ask yourself. If Instead of China and Taiwan - it is a Western 'friendly'' country like USA in the middle of such a dispute...would your position be consistently similar? .

'Massive respect': Tennis world erupts over WTA's China bombshell

WTA boss Steve Simon has won widespread praise in the tennis world for his bombshell decision to suspend all events in China.

Simon announced the staggering decision on Wednesday, following through with a threat to withdraw the WTA from China over the country's handling of the Peng Shuai scandal. ...

CC Grandmaster
    I am consistent in my view that What happens between China and Taiwan is none of our business! I am also consistent that therea re double standards. How do these 2 statements contradict each other?
    I said: "It's great that you are now opposed to a Chinese 'intervention' in Taiwan or Australia!" and you replied: "Lets stop all interventions at once.". I realise that you probably believe that the Party is infallible, but you're obviously not.

EDIT: Actually, what I said was in reply to you - I forgot that the posts are listed in reverse order in the composition window. But you definitely did call for an end to all interventions, which would logically include a Chinese 'intervention' in Taiwan.
    Last edited by Patrick Byrom; 02-12-2021 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    'Massive respect': Tennis world erupts over WTA's China bombshell

WTA boss Steve Simon has won widespread praise in the tennis world for his bombshell decision to suspend all events in China.

Simon announced the staggering decision on Wednesday, following through with a threat to withdraw the WTA from China over the country's handling of the Peng Shuai scandal. ...
    It was reported on the news today that this bold action will cost the WTA millions of dollars, as many womens' tournaments were scheduled for China. Nevertheless, I applaud Simon's action.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Grandmaster
    I said: "It's great that you are now opposed to a Chinese 'intervention' in Taiwan or Australia!" and you replied: "Lets stop all interventions at once.". I realise that you probably believe that the Party is infallible, but you're obviously not.

EDIT: Actually, what I said was in reply to you - I forgot that the posts are listed in reverse order in the composition window. But you definitely did call for an end to all interventions, which would logically include a Chinese 'intervention' in Taiwan.
    I am calling for all countries to be treated equally and respectfully. What I see now in Australia is a clear lack of respect for a another nation and culture (that is dominating all the scenes it gets involved in - look at chess, maths etc).

Thread Information