Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 507

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,135

    China and totalitarianism

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Still is...Lol. Just because a country has a political system different from ours - it does not mean it is failing - look at the amazing progress achieved!
    You have no problems with totalitarian dictatorship as a form of government? Even when they've caused the deaths of millions of their citizens?

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    13,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    You have no problems with totalitarian dictatorship as a form of government? Even when they've caused the deaths of millions of their citizens?
    China is not a Totalitarian Dictatorship. Every political system has pros and cons. If you look at contemporary China, it is very far from being Totolitarian, having 1 or effectively 2 (e.g. USA) political parties makes no real difference. And as far as economic efficiency is concerned - just consider where China was in pre Deng's times (when the economic reforms started) and where it is now.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    China is not a Totalitarian Dictatorship. Every political system has pros and cons. If you look at contemporary China, it is very far from being Totolitarian, having 1 or effectively 2 (e.g. USA) political parties makes no real difference.
    Actually, the existence of political parties independent of the state is exactly what makes the US not a totalitarian state, as the Encyclopedia Britannica explains:
    Totalitarianism, form of government that theoretically permits no individual freedom and that seeks to subordinate all aspects of individual life to the authority of the state. Italian dictator Benito Mussolini coined the term totalitario in the early 1920s to characterize the new fascist state of Italy, which he further described as “all within the state, none outside the state, none against the state.” By the beginning of World War II, totalitarian had become synonymous with absolute and oppressive single-party government. Other modern examples of totalitarian states include the Soviet Union under Joseph Stalin, Nazi Germany under Adolf Hitler, the People’s Republic of China under Mao Zedong, and North Korea under the Kim dynasty.

    China is still totalitarian - it has a one party government, and no individual freedom. And, unfortunately, it's now a dictatorship:
    After casting his own ballot, a visibly relaxed Xi Jinping looked on as the annual meeting of China's rubber-stamp parliament voted to abolish a two-term limit on the presidency, effectively paving the way for the 64-year old leader to enjoy unchecked rule for life. The historic vote was a formality and its result unequivocal: 99.8 percent of the 3,000 delegates voted in favor of amending the constitution. Only two delegates voted against and three abstained.

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    13,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Actually, the existence of political parties independent of the state is exactly what makes the US not a totalitarian state, as the Encyclopedia Britannica explains:
    Totalitarianism, form of government that theoretically permits no individual freedom and that seeks to subordinate all aspects of individual life to the authority of the state. Italian dictator Benito Mussolini coined the term totalitario in the early 1920s to characterize the new fascist state of Italy, which he further described as “all within the state, none outside the state, none against the state.” By the beginning of World War II, totalitarian had become synonymous with absolute and oppressive single-party government. Other modern examples of totalitarian states include the Soviet Union under Joseph Stalin, Nazi Germany under Adolf Hitler, the People’s Republic of China under Mao Zedong, and North Korea under the Kim dynasty.

    China is still totalitarian - it has a one party government, and no individual freedom. And, unfortunately, it's now a dictatorship:
    After casting his own ballot, a visibly relaxed Xi Jinping looked on as the annual meeting of China's rubber-stamp parliament voted to abolish a two-term limit on the presidency, effectively paving the way for the 64-year old leader to enjoy unchecked rule for life. The historic vote was a formality and its result unequivocal: 99.8 percent of the 3,000 delegates voted in favor of amending the constitution. Only two delegates voted against and three abstained.
    Its funny how so many people around the world are concerned about dictatorship in China...while so many Chinese are not:

    The current Chinese leadership does enjoy popular support.

    http://www.bjreview.com/eye/txt/2008...ent_155556.htm

    I wrote an article about any nation's (China in this case) to make own choices without consulting others for Beijing Review over 10 years ago: http://www.bjreview.com/eye/txt/2008...ent_155556.htm

    Unfortunately ...it is still relevant!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Its funny how so many people around the world are concerned about dictatorship in China...while so many Chinese are not:
    The current Chinese leadership does enjoy popular support. http://www.bjreview.com/eye/txt/2008...ent_155556.htm

    I wrote an article about any nation's (China in this case) to make own choices without consulting others for Beijing Review over 10 years ago: http://www.bjreview.com/eye/txt/2008...ent_155556.htm Unfortunately ...it is still relevant!
    I'm sorry, but your article is just ridiculous:
    Traditionally (in ancient Greece where the term "democracy" is from), democracy was defined as government "for the people and by the people." Therefore, if we consider the concepts of "democracy" and "democratic society" from the authentic perspective-China appears to be no less democratic than the United States, Britain or France.
    In ancient Greece, every free adult male had a vote; in China, only the elite members of the Communist Party get to vote. China is not a democracy, unless you twist the meaning of the word "democracy" so that it becomes meaningless.

    And:
    For example, many of the newsmakers (such as SBS TV and Radio in Australia or BBC in Britain) are government-owned. Such dependence makes it impossible for journalists to avoid the obvious pressure to produce reports that are in line with the government viewpoint. Should the reports focus on Chinese achievements rather than shortcomings, they would be unlikely to be published by the press or shown on TV.
    You do realise that SBS and the BCC regularly criticise their own governments, which would be impossible according to your theory.

    I bet these people don't support the current Chinese leadership: "They are just two of over 100 Christians who have already been arrested in the weeks leading up to Christmas. They come on the heels of other high-profile arrests of lawyers and religious leaders, becoming a signature attribute of Chinese President Xi Jinping’s reign."

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    13,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I'm sorry, but your article is just ridiculous:
    Traditionally (in ancient Greece where the term "democracy" is from), democracy was defined as government "for the people and by the people." Therefore, if we consider the concepts of "democracy" and "democratic society" from the authentic perspective-China appears to be no less democratic than the United States, Britain or France.
    In ancient Greece, every free adult male had a vote; in China, only the elite members of the Communist Party get to vote. China is not a democracy, unless you twist the meaning of the word "democracy" so that it becomes meaningless.

    And:
    For example, many of the newsmakers (such as SBS TV and Radio in Australia or BBC in Britain) are government-owned. Such dependence makes it impossible for journalists to avoid the obvious pressure to produce reports that are in line with the government viewpoint. Should the reports focus on Chinese achievements rather than shortcomings, they would be unlikely to be published by the press or shown on TV.
    You do realise that SBS and the BCC regularly criticise their own governments, which would be impossible according to your theory.

    I bet these people don't support the current Chinese leadership: "They are just two of over 100 Christians who have already been arrested in the weeks leading up to Christmas. They come on the heels of other high-profile arrests of lawyers and religious leaders, becoming a signature attribute of Chinese President Xi Jinping’s reign."
    If you look more into the priorities of the Chinese people you realize that they focus on economic development rather than politics. More specifically, on creating a better lives for themselves and their families. Chat to Chinese nationals living in Australia (professional migrants, graduates, students) and see how many of them are actually passionate about the non economic policies?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,984
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    If you look at contemporary China,
    Or at the Crown Casino exclusive gambling rooms clientele …
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

    https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    12,628
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Or at the Crown Casino exclusive gambling rooms clientele …
    Wait, Chinese high rollers - that can't be right? Aren't these the desperate ubereats drivers living one meal to the next? Maybe you should let Mo Baron know about this.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    13,179
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Wait, Chinese high rollers - that can't be right? Aren't these the desperate ubereats drivers living one meal to the next? Maybe you should let Mo Baron know about this.
    Some are rich some are poor...but overall - Chinese who settle in Australia eventually prosper. Why? Because they belong to a culture that values education and hard work.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Some are rich some are poor...but overall - Chinese who settle in Australia eventually prosper. Why? Because they belong to a culture that values education and hard work.
    The Sudanese who have come to Australia seem to have done very well for themselves also - it must be their culture!

  11. #11
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    12,628
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Some are rich some are poor...but overall - Chinese who settle in Australia eventually prosper. Why? Because they belong to a culture that values education and hard work.
    Overall the poor do not send their children for abroad education. That's just for the wealthy.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Some are rich some are poor...but overall - Chinese who settle in Australia eventually prosper. Why? Because they belong to a culture that values education and hard work.
    Ironically, the Chinese in Australia were historically attacked for having a high crime rate - exactly as the Sudanese are today!

  13. #13
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    12,628
    P Dutty in deep doody?

    Claims against Dutton cannot be ignored, Turnbull says


    Former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull said Scott Morrison cannot brush off revelations over Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton's contact with controversial Chinese-Australian businessman Huang Xiangmo as part of the "Canberra bubble".

    Mr Turnbull said the meeting was a matter of national security and called on Mr Dutton to explain whether he fast-tracked the citizenship applications for Mr Huang's family. ...

    In a separate audio recording, Mr Santoro boasted to a client Mr Dutton was one of his "best friends" and for a $20,000 fee, he could provide access to Mr Dutton's office to help with migration applications. ...

    But Mr Turnbull - who has no love lost for Mr Dutton after he initiated the August leadership challenge - said Mr Dutton "has got a lot to explain about this".

    "He is supposed to be the minister responsible for the domestic security of Australia, he is supposed to be the minister responsible for ensuring our politics is not influenced by foreign actors," Mr Turnbull said.

    "The laws that I introduced at the end of 2017 about foreign influence and foreign interference are very important laws and responded to a rising concern in the community.

    "Now, the idea that the minister responsible for enforcing those laws has had a meeting of this kind does raise a lot of questions but Peter Dutton is the only one that can answer it and Mr Santo Santoro should equally be answering questions about his role. ...
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    13,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    An Indigenous person has no more say in any date change than you do. Unlike in China, where the "small %age of population" who run the Communist Party have complete say in its national affairs.
    This ''small %age'' is selected by people and are voted for.
    Just a different political system!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  15. #15
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    This ''small %age'' is selected by people and are voted for.
    Can non-members of the Communist Party be 'elected'?
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Just a different political system!
    Obviously. But you can't complain about a small group of people having a disproportionate say in national matters in Australia when it isn't even true, but then support a system where it is true.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. USA No Match For China
    By peter_parr in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-07-2013, 02:10 PM
  2. China
    By peter_parr in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30-04-2013, 11:50 AM
  3. Help with Chess in China
    By Jason Hu in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-08-2005, 05:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •