Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    As long as it doesn't upset the Chinese government.
    I think people in the West are upset with Chinese government instead.
    https://www.scmp.com/comment/insight...p5fpb5z8rVmKEk
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I think people in the West are upset with Chinese government instead.
    https://www.scmp.com/comment/insight...p5fpb5z8rVmKEk
    Posting blatant propaganda does not contribute to debate

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Posting blatant propaganda does not contribute to debate
    It is actually the West that is using propaganda to put down Chinese efforts. Happens not only to government but to Chinese companies as well. Jack Ma (one of the best-known) Chinese entrepreneurs is currently under fire for suggesting that people should not be afraid to work ''overtime'' if they want to succeed.
    Immediately - criticism about ''workers being exploited'' followed...in reality (something I've been discussing with my Chinese friends today) Everyone in China dreams of working for Jack Ma''s companies.

Reportedly 170 million voters in Indonesian elections.
    China has 5 times the population of Indonesia. How many vote in China?
    meep meep

It is actually the West that is using propaganda to put down Chinese efforts. Happens not only to government but to Chinese companies as well. Jack Ma (one of the best-known) Chinese entrepreneurs is currently under fire for suggesting that people should not be afraid to work ''overtime'' if they want to succeed.
    Immediately - criticism about ''workers being exploited'' followed...in reality (something I've been discussing with my Chinese friends today) Everyone in China dreams of working for Jack Ma''s companies.
    Alibaba working hours are 9am till 9pm, six days a week Everyone in China does not dream of being so exploited.

Jack Ma and Richard Liu defend China’s overtime work culture, but ordinary workers can’t relate

Chinese browsers block protest against China’s 996 overtime work culture

Follow China’s “996” work hours and you’ll end up in an ICU, says Chinese developer
    Last edited by Ian Murray; 18-04-2019 at 11:51 AM.

CC Grandmaster

CC Grandmaster
    Re 996 culture. This could be indeed too much particularly for Non Graduates.
    however, graduates often see it as a possibility to grow careers. Long-term...not sure how many end up with ICU but I wonder if there is statistical data to show that more Chinese feel stressed at work as opposed to those who are working at our ''lazy-fair'' (no typo there...mixing up words on purpose) workplaces.

I can recall that years ago, at one of RMIT stuff meetings (must be 2 years ago or so) we were told that if we take night classes, we get paid extra and likewise, extra for teaching public holidays (this has actually changed, as far as I know most unis now postpone classes from public holidays) with Public Holiday pay being double! I noticed that myself along with all or almost all of my Indian and Chinese colleagues were getting delighted to teach night classes (some had families, some did not so other than ethnic background - hard to establish similarities/differences) while ''Australians'' often tended to avoid such arrangements despite the extra pay . I would rather not comment on this - everyone can make his/her choices....but I found it interesting. Note that University lecturers and tutors were not willing to work public holidays to keep their families fed (nobody was starving) but simply saw it as an opportunity to work more.

So isn't it a cultural trend? If it is, why should we criticize choices that are culture-related? In Singapore people also work crazy hours (can attain to this based on personal experiences) - So is Singapore a totalitarian state? Is it a horrible country to live and work?

''Ordinary'' workers want to work for Jack Ma though!
    It's the line workers who are pushing back at the gruelling hours they have to work

Re 996 culture. ...
    So isn't it a cultural trend? If it is, why should we criticize choices that are culture-related? In Singapore people also work crazy hours (can attain to this based on personal experiences) - So is Singapore a totalitarian state? Is it a horrible country to live and work?
    The criticism is internal - Chinese workers are criticising the working conditions imposed on them (as reported in media owned by Jack Ma!)

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    The criticism is internal - Chinese workers are criticising the working conditions imposed on them (as reported in media owned by Jack Ma!)
    Of course.. but at the same time, many are dreaming of taking over their jobs. Same in Singapore, some professionals find going tough, some are excited to work there.

Of course.. but at the same time, many are dreaming of taking over their jobs. Same in Singapore, some professionals find going tough, some are excited to work there.
    You've gone from "Everyone in China dreams of working for Jack Ma''s companies" to ''Ordinary'' workers want to work for Jack Ma" to now "many are dreaming of taking over their jobs"

You're making it up, Michael. You wouldn't know how the Chinese workforce felt about working for Alibaba companies.

Thread Information