Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Phil Viner 1927-2018

I have been advised that Phil Viner has passed away at Royal North Shore Hospital at the age of 91.

Phil was The Australian chess columnist for 30 years and was the ACF Delegate to FIDE for over 20 years. He was a Life Member of the ACF and a regular strong competitor in seniors events in Australia and overseas. Phil was also awarded a Meritorious Service Award by the Asian Chess Federation - see http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....-to-Phil-Viner! I am sure there is far more bio that veterans of the Australian chess scene can add. I met Phil several times, mostly around annual ACF meetings, and found him to be a very engaging, likeable and easygoing character with a great wealth of experience and knowledge to pass on.

According to Norm Greenwood this morning, "The funeral will be next Tuesday and the funeral notice will be in the SMH tomorrow. Phil’s sister Margaret Sowden advises that Phil died peacefully and that the funeral will be a family event but members of the chess fraternity will be welcome to attend. "

Farewell to a great servant of Australian chess.

The following game must have been when Phil was representing Australia.

https://chess.stackexchange.com/ques...has-me-stumped
    Viner, Phillip - Iniguez Castrillon, Elias, Tel Aviv ol (Men) fin-D, 1964, 1-0
    1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 b6 4. e4 c5 5. d5 d6 6. Bd3 Nbd7 7. f4 exd5 8. cxd5 Be7 9. Nf3 O-O 10. O-O a6 11. a4 Bb7 12. Bc4 Qc7 13. Re1 h6 14. e5 Nh7 15. b3 Rfe8 16. Bb2 Ndf8 17. Qd2 Ng6 18. Rad1 Bf8 19. Ne4 Qd8 20. Nxd6 Bxd6 21. exd6 Qxd6 22. f5 Nf4 23. Be5 Rxe5 24. Rxe5 g5 25. fxg6 Nxg6 26. Qxh6 Nf6 1-0

Phil was always the gentleman type, well dressed and well spoken, in contrast of course to Lloyd Fell of similar vintage but who maybe suffered more due to effects of the Great Depression.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    This post having being marked as important might have already achieved the same objective, but I think this topic/thread should be stickied for a while.
    It's the same thing.

Phil.is a great loss to Australian chess. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. Yes, he was always a gentleman. RIP Phil.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Phil represented Australia at the 1964 and 1968 Olympiads.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 11-12-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Phil represented Australia at the 1964 and 1968 Olympiads.
    When Australia did not even have the smell of a Grand Master representing us. Phil's rep record is probably not earth-shattering and his rating not as high as current reps but he always had decorum and was an honourable delegate to FIDE conferences. I doubt that the intensive coaching available to today's youngsters was available in his time. As well being a professional chess player in his era did not happen in Australia. Probably partly due to the dole being very low if existent at all.
    Last edited by antichrist; 11-12-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Phil was always the gentleman type, well dressed and well spoken, in contrast of course to Lloyd Fell of similar vintage but who maybe suffered more due to effects of the Great Depression.

A most accurate description of two different worlds with chess as common denominator!

RIP Phil Viner.

Phil Viner's chess columns in the Australian were almost as popular as those of Peter Parr's in the Sydney Morning Herald.

Here Phil (sitting left) while talking with his friend Mr. Norman Greenwood in a picture I took during an ACF AGM held in Brisbane a couple of years ago.

DSCN0266.JPG
    Last edited by ER; 11-12-2018 at 09:22 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    I had a pleasure of playing against Phil several times in the early 1990's. At the time, he was still playing fairly strongly. He was an extremely friendly person with the friendliness not being affected by the way he was playing in that game/tournament.
    RIP
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thread Information