Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CC Grandmaster
    Magnus Carlsen wants more games:
    Carlsen believes that the world championship format needs to be spiced up, either with a longer format or more rapid games. “In general it’s good to incorporate more rapid and blitz in the world championship because to some extent it is a purer form of chess because preparation plays less of a role,” he says. “Instead, it is more about quick calculation, intuition and instinct, all of the things I think are important in chess. So I would like that – and also more games in the match to give more room for experiments and taking chances.”
    Having more classical games seems to be a popular change. I would prefer a 24 game match.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Another proposed reform is to split the match into "sets" of four games with a tiebreaker after each set that goes 2-2.
    I don't see this working. You could heavily lose the full-length games in total but win the title on speed games. You could even lose the game count over all formats in total and still win the match. If the problem is players winning by drawing games then winning in spite of losing doesn't seem like an improvement. Moreover the three four-game sets could still produce twelve draws, so it's just an excuse to throw in more speed games which you could do by changing the play-off format.

There are also scheduling issues - presumably you have a rest day before the tie-break and before the start of the next set, leading to a three or even four-day break if a set is decisive.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post

Magnus Carlsen wants more games
    :
    Carlsen believes that the world championship format needs to be spiced up, either with a longer format or more rapid games. “In general it’s good to incorporate more rapid and blitz in the world championship because to some extent it is a purer form of chess because preparation plays less of a role,” he says. “Instead, it is more about quick calculation, intuition and instinct, all of the things I think are important in chess. So I would like that – and also more games in the match to give more room for experiments and taking chances.”
    Has Magnus forgotten that he was eliminated by the world number 35 in a format designed to accentuate this "purer" chess?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    I don't see this working. You could heavily lose the full-length games in total but win the title on speed games.
    Yes, that would be highly deleterious and is reason enough to reject the concept in that form by itself. Also the sets concept appears to imply that, for instance, 2.5-1.5, 0.5-3.5, 2.5-1.5 is a win for the player winning the first and third sets, although they have in fact lost classic games 5.5-6.5 and not even played any tiebreakers.

Interspersing faster games in sets through the match without the classic games affecting the "set" scoring would avoid that drawback, while allowing for one player to be ahead and one behind at various times. But in that case it is less time-consuming and much easier to explain to just have them on one day at the start as per Max's proposal.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Having more classical games seems to be a popular change. I would prefer a 24 game match.
    ↑↑↑ This.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Illingworth View Post
    Yes, I agree that giving the champion 'tie odds' for the classical part of the match would not be fair. It's another story if the right is earned as part of the match. As others have noted, there's more than one way to improve the current format.

Antichrist's idea has been suggested by one of my good friends (an IM) in the past. It would succeed in making the match more appealing for spectators and sponsors, but at the price of possibly giving one of the players an unfair advantage. I think for a World Championship Match, the first priority should be that it is completely fair for both players, and then finding a way to make chess more appealing as a spectator sport without compromising the fairness factor.
    My idea does give an unfair advantage but considering how many draws there have been by black (every draw of course) how much an advantage is it. It would be a greater disadvantage to the challenger that they lose the championship by the champion having all draws. Whereas with my idea the champion is only slightly disadvantaged one game they don't lose the championship - which is big bikkies.
    Last edited by antichrist; 01-12-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Magnus Carlsen wants more games:
    It's a bit rich for Carlsen to say this now isn't it? I mean surely the format wouldn't have happened if he hadn't ratified it. Why would he play 24 games for the same prize purse as 12? Just more chances to lose.
    meep meep

Thread Information