Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CC Candidate Master
    Here's my game vs. Lu Miaoyi (鹿妙夷, rated 1717). I was quite worried I was about to lose in an endgame, but it got sharp and my opponent had more time pressure than me.

This was my first time playing the Budapest gambit as black. It's okay, but I'm not sure it's as exciting as people say.

PGN Viewer

Tomorrow, I'm white vs. Ning Kaiyu (宁凯玉, rated 2217). Hopefully, I don't get demolished.

As for the unpleasantness, the admin have sent word back to the kids' parents. Apparently, they're here unsupervised--in a hotel, all day (too cold to go outside). My roommate and I have moved rooms, away from them. Having forfeited the last game, the pairing resulted in me sitting towards the bottom, among the kids. I wad a bit concerned, but nothing bad happened. I managed to have a ressonable game.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Here's my game vs. Lu Miaoyi (鹿妙夷, rated 1717). I was quite worried I was about to lose in an endgame, but it got sharp and my opponent had more time pressure than me.

This was my first time playing the Budapest gambit as black. It's okay, but I'm not sure it's as exciting as people say.

PGN Viewer

Tomorrow, I'm white vs. Ning Kaiyu (宁凯玉, rated 2217). Hopefully, I don't get demolished.

As for the unpleasantness, the admin have sent word back to the kids' parents. Apparently, they're here unsupervised--in a hotel, all day (too cold to go outside). My roommate and I have moved rooms, away from them. Having forfeited the last game, the pairing resulted in me sitting towards the bottom, among the kids. I wad a bit concerned, but nothing bad happened. I managed to have a ressonable game.
    Well..you were losing - great comeback though!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    Hereís my game versus Ning Kaiyu. This would probably be the best game Iíve ever played.

PGN Viewer

A large chunk of this win was opening preparation. The 15-th move was the first move I hadnít memorized in the morning. I practiced the middlegame with the computer, and had an clear plan (swap off the rooks, get a good bishop vs. bad bishop endgame). I knew where the pieces belong because the computer had already punished me when I tried other squares. The computer would play b4 then a5 then Ba6 and swap off the bad bishop, and I practiced drawing this position.

My novelty was playing Qc2 followed by Qb1. Itís useful to eye both the e4 square and the h7 pawn, and itís safe from harassment from blackís queenside pawn advance and from knights jumping in the center. The knight on f3 prevents any Nd2 fork ideas. This ensures black cannot easily exchange off the bad bishop (I can basically ignore Ne4, and focus on controlling the c file). But most importantly, Qb1 also allows the rook on c1 to be recaptured by a rook, so I can basically force the exchange of both rooks, then control the c file with the queen. If black swaps off the queens, Iíll have a slightly better endgame, with a better bishop.

I guess my opponent didnít want to draw with a much lower rated opponent. I feel 16...Rcb8 was objectively a poor move.
    Last edited by Becky; 30-12-2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Corrected how my opponent's name is spelled

CC Candidate Master
    Nothing extraordinary from me in round 6... I was defeated by a much stronger opponent (rating 2300).

PGN Viewer

My opponent seems very familiar with Nimzo-Indian lines, so I avoided them by playing s London system.

I was prepared up to 10...Qc7, which I think my opponent played since it got me out of book. I don't think it's great, but it's not worse. My opponent plays several openings and variations, and I prepared for them, but couldn't go to deep in practicing the middlegames and endgames. One observation: there's so much variety in this opening, it was hard to prepare, yet allowed his experience to show. I was basically prepared for how the computer plays the game (usually ...d5 followed by a queenside pawn storm), although I guessed he'd play ...d6 instead (it was more suited to his playing style).

In any case, I played a move which screams "you haven't played in a tournament in two years", namely 19. Qc4, simply forgetting that it was defending the knight.

I thought I was defending well afterwards... I thought wrong. My opponent found a nice tactic, so I felt I should let him play it out.

Today, I'm black against Zhang Lanlin (张岚琳, rating 2178). Again much stronger than me, although that's why I'm here.

CC Candidate Master
    Round 7, and I lost vs. Zhang Lanlin. So disappointing, this time. I mostly played well.

PGN Viewer

My preparation ended early, with 4. Bd3. She's played this unambitious stuff before, but she also knows the sharp lines, which I prepared for instead.

I was happy with how I played, but I thought I was winning, so I pushed on. She made it complicated and I faltered.

I saw 26...dxc4, and felt I could draw easily with it. I should have played that. Her queen is still offside, and I can exchange rooks and activate my pieces. But I played for a win... and failed.

I calculated 29...Kh8 was okay, but quickly thought "oh, 29...Kg7 is even better". It wasn't.

CC Candidate Master
    Here's my game from today vs. Zhou Chuheng 周楚珩 who is unrated. He played well and I was beaten.

PGN Viewer

I avoided any opening theory, but maybe I shouldn't have. I didn't prepare much for thid match... he has no games to study.

I regret 12. N2f3, which gives up the defence of e4, and I regret 14. Qe2 even more... that's where my knight is supposed to go after it gets chased away by a pawn. My opponent made use of my poor moves. I tried to hang in there as long as possible, but there was not much to say after dropping the exchange.

CC Candidate Master
    In the final round, I played a fairly solid game against Cherriton Hunt (unrated) and managed to win.

PGN Viewer

He was not familiar with this opening, although I play it a lot online and occasionally in tournaments, so I was quite familiar. It's an opening to play when you don't want a draw.

Around 24...Qc7, I didn't have much of an idea how to win. While every piece of mine can attack the g2 pawn, every piece of white's can defend it. The computer says it's close to equal.

The computer points out that 27...Kc8 is an error, since 28. Qc5 hits the undefended a-pawn, and also threatens Qf8+ winning the f7 pawn. Neither of us noticed this. Surprisingly, black is almost in zugzwang, as moving the knight to a natural square gives Qh8+.

Thread Information