Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

1st Binhai Cup China International Chess Open Tournament

I just signed up for this new chess tournament in Tianjin (Binhai district) 24-th December 2018 to the 2-nd January 2019---it just happens to be in the city I live in. It's got some big prizes, and some big names have entered!! (Links: FIDE; current entries; and my FIDE page.)

There's a bunch of 2600+ players: Ganguly (India), Chigaev (Russia), Sethuraman (India), Matlakov (Russia), Wang Hao (China). I hope I get to play one of them! (Although, experience indicates I'm more likely going to be crushed by a bunch of Chinese kids. Also, I haven't been particularly active recently.)

Wish me luck! You're my cheer squad!! *waves Australian flag*
    Last edited by Becky; 20-11-2018 at 07:58 PM. Reason: added tournament dates

CC Candidate Master
    The tournament starts tomorrow. It's my first in a long time! Wish me luck! Haha!!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    The tournament starts tomorrow. It's my first in a long time! Wish me luck! Haha!!
    Yep, good luck!
    Do your best against Chinese cute and clever kids!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    Round 1 is on Christmas day. I`m against FM Fan Chen in a few hours.

He`s not a kid.. he`s older than me. Although, yeah, I`m probably going to be destroyed by a bunch of cute Chinese kids, who seem to pick up chess incredibly quickly.

CC Candidate Master
    Woohoo! I drew (: I’m planning to go out now, so I’ll aim to post the game later.

My opponent played the Slav as black, and I ultra-boringly played an exchange variation.

CC Grandmaster
    Woohoo! I drew (: I’m planning to go out now, so I’ll aim to post the game later.

My opponent played the Slav as black, and I ultra-boringly played an exchange variation.
    Congrats, getting rating points while in China rather than giving them away is indeed a great effort!.

CC Candidate Master
    Here's my game from yesterday. I'm white vs. FM Chen Fan 陈凡.

1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. Nc3 a6 5. cxd5 cxd5 6. Bf4 Nc6 7. e3 Bg4 8. Be2 e6 9. O-O Be7 10. h3 Bh5 11. Rc1 O-O 12. Ne5 Bxe2 13. Nxc6 Bxd1 14. Nxd8 Rfxd8 15. Rfxd1 Rac8 16. Na4 Nd7 17. Bc7 Re8 18. Ba5 f5 19. Nb6 Nxb6 20. Bxb6 Bd6 21. Bc5 Bb8 22. Rc3 Rc6 23. Rdc1 Rec8 24. f4 Kf7 25. Kf2 Ke8 26. Bb4 Rxc3 27. Rxc3 Rxc3 28. Bxc3 Bd6 29. Ke2 h6 30. Be1 g5 31. Bg3 h5 32. h4 gxf4 33. Bxf4 Bxf4 34. exf4 Kd7 35. Kd3 Kc6 36. Kc3 Kb5 37. Kb3 a5 38. a4+ Kc6 39. Kc3 1/2-1/2

I'm on my tablet PC, so it's not easy for me to typeset this. Help appreciated.

In a few hours I'm against GM Ganguly from India. I hope not to embarass myself too much. He's quite capable of beating GMs, so I wonder how much effort he'll need for me. More luck required!

CC Candidate Master
    Just need to put it inside a pgn tag:

PGN Viewer

CC Candidate Master
    PGN Viewer

Here's my game vs. GM Ganguly (I'm black). 12...Ng4 was a mistake---I can't grab that pawn so my knight gets stuck for the rest of the game. Afterwards, I decided to gift him a piece and resign: my 1700 rating is showing. My preparation didn't make any difference, really.

CC Candidate Master
    My last game reminds me of a Ben Finegold quote: "that's why I'm a grandmaster, and you're not".

By the way, the pairings for this tournament are on Chess Results: http://chess-results.com/tnr402892.aspx

Round 3, I'm against Yan Tianqi 颜天琪 who is rated 2098 (I'm 1792). So I still need a bit of luck! Haha!

CC Candidate Master
    To keep people informed... we we’re experiencing many phone calls and random people knocking on our door and running away. Kids, who I guess are in the tournament.

I answered one of the calls to our room to get some transphobic remark, with a bunch of kids laughing in the background. Afterwards, I withdrew from the tournament. So there won’t be any more games from me.

Stuff like this is really upsetting... it makes me not want to play in tournaments again.

CC Candidate Master
    Becky
    Really sorry to hear you have been hassled by idiots. I hope you do not give up chess tournaments.

CC Candidate Master
    I’ve been in contact with the organizers, and I’m going to change rooms. I’ll try to avoid these kids, but they’re probably in the tournament.

I’ll regroup and try playing again tomorrow. I don’t want to be the drama queen... and I shouldn’t let this kind of behavior control my life. Since it happened just before the game, it didn’t give me an opportunity to have a measured response. But there was no chance of me being able to concentrate on chess directly afterwards anyway.

When stuff like this happens, it makes me feel like my whole life is a joke—that I, as a person, am a joke. I think “does everyone think this about me?” and some rather darker thoughts.

Thanks for your support Leon.

I hope this isn’t a mistake. I guess I’ll find out.

Also, I’d like to point out that usually my experience is that Chinese kids are quite well behaved, for their age. But here I think they’re bored, stuck in a hotel room all day, and are getting up to mischief.

CC Grandmaster
    I’ve been in contact with the organizers, and I’m going to change rooms. I’ll try to avoid these kids, but they’re probably in the tournament.

I’ll regroup and try playing again tomorrow. I don’t want to be the drama queen... and I shouldn’t let this kind of behavior control my life. Since it happened just before the game, it didn’t give me an opportunity to have a measured response. But there was no chance of me being able to concentrate on chess directly afterwards anyway.

When stuff like this happens, it makes me feel like my whole life is a joke—that I, as a person, am a joke. I think “does everyone think this about me?” and some rather darker thoughts.

Thanks for your support Leon.

I hope this isn’t a mistake. I guess I’ll find out.

Also, I’d like to point out that usually my experience is that Chinese kids are quite well behaved, for their age. But here I think they’re bored, stuck in a hotel room all day, and are getting up to mischief.
    Becky, never let people who are not worthy of your attention upset you! Let their stupidity be their problem. You are a highly successful person who leads a very meaningful life - do not make your happiness conditional on other's opinions!

Stay strong!

P.S. I suspect there are many people who think ''all kind of things'' about me ...However, I would rather not worry.

CC Candidate Master
    Thanks Michael... it means a lot to have some support.

I'm mentally stronger than I used to be... so I've got a game today. I'll try to come back, but I'm guessing the tournament hall will have those same kids. I'm not sure how comfortable I'll be. I'm not really in a good mood, and I'm certainly unwilling to hang around while kids insult me. I probably shouldn't continue--I find it hard to believe I'm going to enjoy the tournament.

The organizers don't really "get it"--they want to prove me wrong and that the kids are innocent, or it's all some misunderstanding. They need to do something to manage bored kids getting up to mischief--it's just not appropriate, especially when there's world-class professional players involved.

To my knowledge, it was my first ever forfeit yesterday. I'm not proud of that. I spent the morning preparing for the game too.

My game today is against Lu Miaoyi, who is 8 years old, and about my strength... 1700ish. I hope it goes smoothly.

Thread Information