Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    As well as the Grand Swiss, FIDE are retaining the Grand Prix but it will consist of four 16-player knockout tournaments, with each player playing 3/4 events. This will determine another two qualifiers.

https://www.fide.com/component/conte...ix-series.html
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 21-01-2019 at 07:56 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    As The New Fide GP is going to be a knockout as opposed to previously run 24 player swisses, feedback started coming in (at least in Russian on chess-news.ru) ..and its mostly positive!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

In my opinion the new FIDE admin fees are ridiculous overkill and are resulting in clubs having to pay lots of money to FIDE if they want to run FIDE rated tournaments.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    In my opinion the new FIDE admin fees are ridiculous overkill and are resulting in clubs having to pay lots of money to FIDE if they want to run FIDE rated tournaments.
    Which new fees are these?

Lol the fees are not new. Been there since 2003 @ 15 cents per game. Comment came from Rooty Hill AGM requested more FIDE rated tournaments. This comes at a significant cost to the club.
    Last edited by Adamski; 22-01-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Lol the fees are not new. Been there since 2003 @ 15 cents per game. Comment came from Rooty Hill AGM requested more FIDE rated tournaments. This comes at a significant cost to the club.
    I understand the issue you refer to may relate partly or entirely to ACF FIDE admin fees.

FIDE does charge a range of fees itself, in particular high fees for FIDE-rated Round Robins compared to Swiss events, which I don't think makes the slightest sense in terms of processing costs or effort so I expect it is done that way just to milk organisers of round-robin norm events.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I understand the issue you refer to may relate partly or entirely to ACF FIDE admin fees.

FIDE does charge a range of fees itself, in particular high fees for FIDE-rated Round Robins compared to Swiss events, which I don't think makes the slightest sense in terms of processing costs or effort so I expect it is done that way just to milk organisers of round-robin norm events.
    Thanks, Kevin. And yes the RR fees are way over the top. Rooty Hill RSL CC is facing significant bills with all the fees we have to pay for running FIDE rated tournaments, some of which are traditionally RR's (like our club champs).

CC FIDE Master
    https://www.fide.com/component/conte...mmissions.html

New FIDE Commissions have been appointed.

Australian (-ish) appointments:

Gary Wastell - Fair Play Commission (formerly Anti-Cheating)
    Zong Yuan Zhao - Medical Commission
    Shaun Press (PNG, AUS-resident) - Rules Commission
    Kevin,

I am not considered as Australian anymore even though I will be on the DIS Commission as a Member just like the other people who were elected as Members to their respective Commissions?

I also noticed this in the Australian Chess Newsletter and feel quite insulted that I was left out even though I am listed on the Australian rating list and only hold an Australian citizenship.

lost
    Last edited by lost; 31-01-2019 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    Kevin,

I am not considered as Australian anymore even though I will be on the DIS Commission as a Member just like the other people who were elected as Members to their respective Commissions?

I also noticed this in the Australian Chess Newsletter and feel quite insulted that I was left out even though I am listed on the Australian rating list and only hold an Australian citizenship.

lost
    Apologies, the omission was completely unintentional and the Newsletter was just copying my post. A note has been sent to the Newsletter for the next edition.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 31-01-2019 at 11:24 AM.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    Kevin,

lost
    This is a massive insult indeed - not mentioning that you are a member of some commission
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC FIDE Master
    Apologies, the omission was completely unintentional and the Newsletter was just copying my post. A note has been sent to the Newsletter for the next edition.
    Thank you Kevin.

I was pleased to read that the ACF has reduced their admin fee to 5 cents per game.

I was pleased to read that the ACF has reduced their admin fee to 5 cents per game.
    But only for Rapid and Blitz. It remains 15 cents for normal games.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

FIDE have announced the qualification system for the next Candidates

https://www.fide.com/component/conte...andidates.html

The wildcard is replaced by a more limited wildcard selection from a number of options, these being:

* a top-ten rated player, or
    * the player placed third in the 2019 FIDE World Cup (if the third player is qualified - then the player placed fourth, but not any further);
    * the best non-qualifying player from the 2019 FIDE Grand Swiss;
    * the best non-qualifying player from the 2019 FIDE Grand Prix Series.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 18-02-2019 at 10:34 PM.

sounds like a hard earned wild card! good move by FIDE!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information