Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    CC Rookie

Commonwealth chess championship 2019

Hey guys, sorry this is probably the wrong forum. Can someone tell me if the venue of the next Commonwealth and dates is known

ZE=2][/SIZE]

SIZE=4][/SIZE]

UOTE=Kevin Bonham;444429]FIDE bank account opened

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...ank-spain.html

(Doesn't say how much they're putting in it!)

FIDE has also announced, and called for bids for, a new WC qualifier to be called the "FIDE Grand Swiss":

http://www.fide.com/images/stories/N...Swiss_2019.pdf[/QUOTE]

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unrated View Post
    Can someone tell me if the venue of the next Commonwealth and dates is known
    I don't believe details have been confirmed yet. I should have notes as to what options were on the table at the meeting last year, but haven't found them yet.

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I don't believe details have been confirmed yet. I should have notes as to what options were on the table at the meeting last year, but haven't found them yet.
    Thanks Kevin, appreciate

It's pretty safe to assume the Commonwealth Champs will always be on. India will run it if nobody else can. How much notice of the details is possible is another matter.

Once I get an invitation I will always post it on this forum in the Overseas Tournaments section.

CC FIDE Master
    Some interesting news on the FIDE website - Grand Swiss has a venue (Isle of Man) and dates, some details of sort of partnership with FIFA to add chess to football academies, and another push to have chess at the Olympics, Paris 2024 this time, which would mark the centenary of FIDE being founded in France.
    IA Craig Hall

www.chess.org.nz - Canterbury Chess Club
    http://respectrum.nz - Major sponsor

Dear Friends,

Please note that there is possibly an attempt to send fraud emails from address fidepresident@fide.com
    Please verify the sender and text upon receipt.
    Thank you.

Best regards
    Elista FIDE Office

Quote Originally Posted by Unrated View Post
    Can someone tell me if the venue of the next Commonwealth and dates is known
    I have just found my missing notes. As of the Congress last year South Africa were being given a month to decide if they could go ahead or not and failing that India (again) was looking likely.

Wales was considering running it in 2020 subject to accommodation.

CC Rookie
    I have just found my missing notes. As of the Congress last year South Africa were being given a month to decide if they could go ahead or not and failing that India (again) was looking likely.

Thanks Kevin

CC FIDE Master

Kevin, you are correct on that but I have had it confirmed that Sri Lanka will run the event now at the end of June.

lost

Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    Kevin, you are correct on that but I have had it confirmed that Sri Lanka will run the event now at the end of June.
    If completely correct, and I have no reason to doubt you, but just have not seen any information on the fide website or anywhere, then Sri Lanka is a much more preferable location than South Africa. I was genuinely concerned if Fide had attempted to confirm South Africa as the location given the current political climate and state of the country.

But this event does not look like going to South Africa, so we can breath a sigh of relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    If completely correct, and I have no reason to doubt you, but just have not seen any information on the fide website or anywhere, then Sri Lanka is a much more preferable location than South Africa. I was genuinely concerned if Fide had attempted to confirm South Africa as the location given the current political climate and state of the country.

But this event does not look like going to South Africa, so we can breathe a sigh of relief.
    It is with extreme regret that sometimes you make a post that at the time of posting was made with genuine thought and based on the known facts at the time and then within a couple of days, world events take place and make your previous post not quite so clear cut. For the number of years that chesschat has been going, I would offer that my quoted post will most likely have the number one contender for the very sad distinction of falling into the category of posting and then world events turn and make your post to be extremely sad and at an unfortunate time.
    Last edited by Garvinator; 21-04-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator View Post
    It is with extreme regret that sometimes you make a post that at the time of posting was made with genuine thought and based on the known facts at the time and then within a couple of days, world events take place and make your previous post not quite so clear cut. For the number of years that chesschat has been going, I would offer that my quoted post will most likely have the number one contender for the very sad distinction of falling into the category of posting and then world events turn and make your post to be extremely sad and at an unfortunate time.
    Yes, shocking attacks on Sri Lanka yesterday.
    meep meep

Thread Information