Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

FIDE general discussion thread

I thought I'd start a new thread for general discussion of FIDE matters, news, meetings etc. Prolonged discussion of specific events like World Championships, Congresses and Presidential elections should in general go to separate threads.

Here's the list of decisions from the first PB meeting with Dvorkovich as President:

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...al-board-.html

There has been a massive cleanout in the unelected Commissions and also in the top levels of the FIDE bureaucracy. Virtually every commission chair is new. Victor Bologan, Emil Sutovsky and Willy Iclicki come in as Executive Director, Director General (whatever that is) and CEO respectively. There is a new Global Strategy Commission and there are a number of moves to increase central control.

There is no announcement about new chairs for Arbiters or Fair Play commissions though Takis Nikolopoulos is listed as an honorary chair of Arbiters, alongside a number of others who have all been replaced as chairs of their commissions.

IA Mahdi Abdulrahim from the UAE becomes the new Chair of Rules Commission.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I thought I'd start a new thread for general discussion of FIDE matters, news, meetings etc. Prolonged discussion of specific events like World Championships, Congresses and Presidential elections should in general go to separate threads.

Here's the list of decisions from the first PB meeting with Dvorkovich as President:

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...al-board-.html

There has been a massive cleanout in the unelected Commissions and also in the top levels of the FIDE bureaucracy. Virtually every commission chair is new. Victor Bologan, Emil Sutovsky and Willy Iclicki come in as Executive Director, Director General (whatever that is) and CEO respectively. There is a new Global Strategy Commission and there are a number of moves to increase central control.

There is no announcement about new chairs for Arbiters or Fair Play commissions though Takis Nikolopoulos is listed as an honorary chair of Arbiters, alongside a number of others who have all been replaced as chairs of their commissions.

IA Mahdi Abdulrahim from the UAE becomes the new Chair of Rules Commission.
    He is bringing in some GMs..at very least trying to build up support within the professional chess community.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    He is bringing in some GMs..at very least trying to build up support within the professional chess community.
    And probably a payoff for support from the ACP too. But the right thing to do anyway.

Very sad news - the death of former USCF President WIM Ruth Haring (1955-2018), who was recently elected to the FIDE Ethics Commission having been a member of Nigel Short's ticket.

https://www.chess.com/news/view/wim-...ring-1955-2018
    https://new.uschess.org/news/wim-ruth-haring-1955-2018/

A strongly opinionated and IMHO rather biased yet quite alarming article as published on Chessdom. com

http://www.chessdom.com/dvorkovich-i...f8H7w-OZyxmshE
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    A strongly opinionated and IMHO rather biased yet quite alarming article as published on Chessdom. com

http://www.chessdom.com/dvorkovich-i...f8H7w-OZyxmshE
    Not even sure who the author is...

Not even sure who the author is...
    You are right! We better ask Kevin if this article should be removed! Well, biased maybe, but as far as I understand there isn't any defamation material there.

On the other hand the person who wrote the article touches quite a few sensitive matters, not really a fair practice for someone posting anonymously!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    We better ask Kevin if this article should be removed!
    Happy for the link to be left up for now. The material is mostly factual including some of the known facts underlying some of the harsher criticisms. It's someone's opinion and it is interesting it is out there; no I don't (yet) know who it is.

Happy for the link to be left up for now. The material is mostly factual including some of the known facts underlying some of the harsher criticisms. It's someone's opinion and it is interesting it is out there; no I don't (yet) know who it is.
    OK thanks! Apart from the anonymity factor I was also a bit concerned about claims of who did what and who's close to whom in previous administration and rather murky stuff of that kind.
    "murky" for someone like myself who's not really savvy re FIDE's inner sanctum and tangential relationships, interests etc! All good!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

On budgets and fee reductions:

https://www.fide.com/component/conte...de-budget.html

"Secondly, I promised a significant, across-the-board reduction in FIDE fees. Unfortunately, it is only the General Assembly that can change the fees specified in the regulations. Still, when there’s a will, there’s a way. After deliberations with the Presidential Board members and our legal counsel, we decided to divide all contributions payable in 2019 into two parts, the second of which shall be due only in December 2019. At the same time, we decided to submit to the FIDE General Assembly (planned for Fall 2019) an amendment to the Financial Rules that would reduce the fees and will be applied from January 1, 2019. If the General Assembly approves our proposal, no federation, player or organizers will have to pay the second part of the fees due. This way, a significant reduction will be achieved in the manner that benefits everyone. "

https://www.fide.com/component/conte...mmissions.html

New FIDE Commissions have been appointed.

Australian (-ish) appointments:

Gary Wastell - Fair Play Commission (formerly Anti-Cheating)
    Zong Yuan Zhao - Medical Commission
    Shaun Press (Australian registered with PNG) - Rules Commission
    Jamie Kenmure (Australian registered with Nauru) - Commission for the Disabled
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 31-01-2019 at 11:21 AM.

CC Grandmaster
    https://www.fide.com/component/conte...mmissions.html

New FIDE Commissions have been appointed.

Australian (-ish) appointments:

Gary Wastell - Fair Play Commission (formerly Anti-Cheating)
    Zong Yuan Zhao - Medical Commission
    Shaun Press (PNG, AUS-resident) - Rules Commission
    I am curious to know what Medical Commission does

I am curious to know what Medical Commission does
    Medical Commission (MED)

The MED shall organize anti-doping control in the major FIDE Events, at the request of the Events Commission, the Commission for World Championships & Olympiads and after consultation with the PB.

The MED shall prepare anti-doping regulations for the approval by the GA and shall enforce them when duly approved.

The MED shall advise and inform the PB on anti-doping matters.

The MED shall appoint a representative to be present at all events where anti-doping control is carried out.

The MED shall make recommendations and propose amendments, as it sees fit, in its field of competence.

For instance it was at the suggestion of the Medical Commission that the new version of what were the Competition Rules will ban eating at the board, except where a player has a valid medical reason to eat at the board.

CC Grandmaster
    Medical Commission (MED)

The MED shall organize anti-doping control in the major FIDE Events, at the request of the Events Commission, the Commission for World Championships & Olympiads and after consultation with the PB.

The MED shall prepare anti-doping regulations for the approval by the GA and shall enforce them when duly approved.

The MED shall advise and inform the PB on anti-doping matters.

The MED shall appoint a representative to be present at all events where anti-doping control is carried out.

The MED shall make recommendations and propose amendments, as it sees fit, in its field of competence.

For instance it was at the suggestion of the Medical Commission that the new version of what were the Competition Rules will ban eating at the board, except where a player has a valid medical reason to eat at the board.
    thx, Kevin. Given that my allegro play is not consistent these days I better try some doping before the next allegro...just not sure what it could be to make me (or anyone else for this matter) to play better

FIDE bank account opened

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...ank-spain.html

(Doesn't say how much they're putting in it!)

FIDE has also announced, and called for bids for, a new WC qualifier to be called the "FIDE Grand Swiss":

http://www.fide.com/images/stories/N...Swiss_2019.pdf

Thread Information