Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,710

    2022 FIDE Congress, Presidency and Presidential Election

    A thread for discussion of the 2022 FIDE Congress, the Presidential election and also the pre-Congress Presidential situation given that President Arkady Dvorkovich is Russian and linked to Putin and there are calls for him to stand down for that reason.

    I'll start with the latter - the Ukrainian letter posted on the Karjakin thread requests:

    3. Initiate the immediate convocation of the FIDE General Assembly demanding the immediate resignation of FIDE President Dvorkovich, as a person who, being Putin's close aide, is personally responsible for the formation of Russia's aggressive foreign policy.

    Under the FIDE Charter, 65 member Federations can convene an Extraordinary General Assembly but at minimum two months' notice is needed for the invitations to go out.

    On the Congress venue, FIDE is aiming to hold the Congress alongside the Olympiad provided that fits with the election schedules - still waiting for more clarity on that.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    A thread for discussion of the 2022 FIDE Congress, the Presidential election and also the pre-Congress Presidential situation given that President Arkady Dvorkovich is Russian and linked to Putin and there are calls for him to stand down for that reason.

    I'll start with the latter - the Ukrainian letter posted on the Karjakin thread requests:

    3. Initiate the immediate convocation of the FIDE General Assembly demanding the immediate resignation of FIDE President Dvorkovich, as a person who, being Putin's close aide, is personally responsible for the formation of Russia's aggressive foreign policy.

    Under the FIDE Charter, 65 member Federations can convene an Extraordinary General Assembly but at minimum two months' notice is needed for the invitations to go out.

    On the Congress venue, FIDE is aiming to hold the Congress alongside the Olympiad provided that fits with the election schedules - still waiting for more clarity on that.
    Dvorkovich must go!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  3. #3
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,710
    Dvorkovich opposes the war (brave man.)

    https://www.motherjones.com/politics...a-ukraine-war/
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  4. #4
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,470
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Dvorkovich must go!
    I agree, he has to go.

    If he does go who is likely to replace him

  5. #5
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Dvorkovich opposes the war (brave man.)
    Could he know some inside?

  6. #6
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Dvorkovich must go!
    Journalist Daniel King in a Mother Jones newsletter (referred to by Kevin Bonham) wrote 15 March:

    Two weeks ago, the world’s top chess authorities voted to sharply rebuke Russia for its invasion of Ukraine. The unanimous decision by the International Chess Federation (FIDE) to ban Russians from competing under their own flag, and strip the country of the Chess Olympiad slated for Moscow this summer, is extraordinary not just because it sidelines Russia from the game it had dominated for half a century, but because of who joined the chess world in repudiating Russia: former Russian Deputy Prime Minister Arkady Dvorkovich...
    In an interview with Mother Jones, Dvorkovich, who is now president of FIDE, voiced his opposition to the war, becoming one of the very few, or only, former senior Kremlin officials to openly criticize it. “Wars are the worst things one might face in life…including this war,” Dvorkovich tells me from Russia, where he says he is “safe with my family and friends.”



    The administration of Dvorkovich has been (until now) characterized by stability and competence:

    His skilful financial management, including a large increase in FIDE income (compare his unlamented predecessor Kirsan Ilyumzhinov who in a former election ploy emptily boasted that he had spent 70 million dollars of his own money promoting chess), together with his political nous e.g. when he muted his rival for office Nigel Short (so far as is possible for this witty and acerbic champion of the game) by appointing him to a vice-presidency of the multi-nation FIDE, are definite pluses in the swamp of international chess.

    Dvorkovich’s public opposition to the war should be seen for what it is, namely an incredible act of bravery by a resident of Russia, and not to be demeaned by cheap slogans.
    Last edited by Frank; 16-03-2022 at 05:24 AM.

  7. #7
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,710
    Not sure Nigel was really a rival for office so much as a fellow opponent of Kirsan/Makropoulos. Nigel after all withdrew his bid and endorsed Dvorkovich enthusiastically prior to being appointed as a VP. I don't remember his camp attacking Dvorkovich's once during the campaign. He might have been waiting to see if Dvorkovich was any good as a candidate before deciding to team up.

    I agree that Dvorkovich has done a good job. At times his administration has made errors largely through inexperience, but on the whole they have been energetic and well-focused and I have seen no sign of pro-Russian bias.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  8. #8
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    510
    Repercussions have begun - US News/Reuters report (18 March):

    A former Russian deputy prime minister who spoke out against the Kremlin's actions in Ukraine has quit as chair of a prestigious foundation after a lawmaker accused him of a "national betrayal" and demanded his dismissal.

    Arkady Dvorkovich, deputy prime minister from 2012 to 2018, became one of Russia's most senior establishment figures to question the war when he told U.S. media this week that his thoughts were with Ukrainian civilians….

    The 49-year-old had been chairman since 2018 of the Skolkovo Foundation, an innovation and technology hub on the outskirts of Moscow that brands itself as a kind of Russian Silicon Valley.

    On Friday, the Skolkovo Foundation said in a statement that Dvorkovich had decided to step down. He could not be reached immediately for comment. He remains president of the International Chess Federation (FIDE).
    Last edited by Frank; 20-03-2022 at 03:19 AM.

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Repercussions have begun - US News/Reuters report (18 March):

    A former Russian deputy prime minister who spoke out against the Kremlin's actions in Ukraine has quit as chair of a prestigious foundation after a lawmaker accused him of a "national betrayal" and demanded his dismissal.

    Arkady Dvorkovich, deputy prime minister from 2012 to 2018, became one of Russia's most senior establishment figures to question the war when he told U.S. media this week that his thoughts were with Ukrainian civilians….

    The 49-year-old had been chairman since 2018 of the Skolkovo Foundation, an innovation and technology hub on the outskirts of Moscow that brands itself as a kind of Russian Silicon Valley.

    On Friday, the Skolkovo Foundation said in a statement that Dvorkovich had decided to step down. He could not be reached immediately for comment. He remains president of the International Chess Federation (FIDE).
    He sounded apologetic at Skolkovo....and desperately trying to maintain ''respectful'' relationship with Russian authorities while maintaining the fide president post .
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  10. #10
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    510
    A remarkably judicious piece by Peter Doggers (updated 20 March) appeared on Chess.com on the issue of whether Dvorkovich should be removed from the FIDE presidency.

    Nigel Short is quoted as saying:
    "I want to stress that Arkady is the best FIDE president we've had in decades. There has been a transformation in the organization and financially we are in a much better position than before, despite suffering through this appalling pandemic which has curtailed a lot of our activities. But there have been many internal reforms which people on the outside don't see which make the running of the organization much better."

    But I suspect that ability and competence may not (at all) be the real issue in this debate facing the FIDE Council.
    Last edited by Frank; 21-03-2022 at 06:23 PM.

  11. #11
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,710
    Dvorkovich is recontesting and Anand is joining his team:

    https://www.fide.com/news/1673

    Congress has been confirmed for Chennai July 31 (arrivals) to Aug 9 (departures)

    https://www.fide.com/news/1672
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Dvorkovich is recontesting and Anand is joining his team:

    https://www.fide.com/news/1673

    Congress has been confirmed for Chennai July 31 (arrivals) to Aug 9 (departures)

    https://www.fide.com/news/1672
    Yet another Integrity test for the International chess community...
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  13. #13
    CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,200
    Arkady Dvorkovich has announced GM Vishy Anand as his deputy.

    Former FIDE General Secretary, Enyonam Sewa Fumey (from Togo) has emerged as a challenger, with FM Stuart Fancy (PNG) on his ticket.

    Fumey proposes a grassroots / social policy level of advancing chess, and gave an in depth interview to Chess.com. Notably he doesn't criticise Mr Dvorkovich, rather he suggested that as president, Mr Dvorkovich's strong association with Russia is potentially harmful given the current political climate:
    https://www.chess.com/news/view/fide...umey-interview

    Dvorkovich announced a few other people to be his treasurer and vice presidents, which Fumey objected to as a breach of FIDE electoral rules. Which got the great headline of "Fumey Fumes over Illegal Move by President Arkady Dvorkovich"!
    https://www.news18.com/news/sports/f...h-5170159.html

    Any indication of whom the ACF might be considering voting for?
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,402
    Furney work and lives in Canada...council worker....clearly his ticket has been created just to help Dvorkovich get elected smoothly. Where is a proper opposition candidate?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  15. #15
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,470
    The ACF should not vote for Dvorkovich

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 129th NZ Chess Congress, Christchurch, 2-12 Jan 2022
    By Keong Ang in forum New Zealand Chess
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 24-01-2022, 08:33 AM
  2. FIDE Online Congress 2021
    By Kevin Bonham in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-12-2021, 04:00 PM
  3. FIDE Congress Batumi 27 Sep - 5 Oct (excluding Presidential election)
    By Kevin Bonham in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 13-12-2018, 08:58 PM
  4. Replies: 315
    Last Post: 10-10-2018, 02:16 PM
  5. US Presidential Election - Clinton v Trump
    By Agent Smith in forum Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-07-2016, 10:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •