World War 2 and Chess

https://www.chess.com/article/view/w...r-ii-and-chess

A fascinating and long article on all complications that world war brought to chess with the focus often of course being on Jewish players. A must read to appreciate chess's rich history of happiness and sorrow.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC FIDE Master
    Interesting reading

Gideon Ståhlberg (Sweden) is mentioned as one of Jewish players who stayed in Argentina. I'm not sure that he was Jewish ... But he wrote some damned good chessbooks ...

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen View Post
    Interesting reading

Gideon Ståhlberg (Sweden) is mentioned as one of Jewish players who stayed in Argentina. I'm not sure that he was Jewish ... But he wrote some damned good chessbooks ...
    He was not. After WWII he was probably the only emigrant to return back to Europe. I believe he stayed in Argentina till the year 1948.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    He was not. After WWII he was probably the only emigrant to return back to Europe. I believe he stayed in Argentina till the year 1948.
    Just as an aside, maybe he was the only famous chess player who returned that you are aware of but I imagine that many emigrants returned to claim family properties - especially the rich.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    https://www.chess.com/article/view/w...r-ii-and-chess

A fascinating and long article on all complications that world war brought to chess with the focus often of course being on Jewish players. A must read to appreciate chess's rich history of happiness and sorrow.
    Bill Wall articles should be treated with great caution regarding factual details. He has been sharply criticised by Edward Winter (eg http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/e...edibility.html) My impression is he tends to compile and data-dump large collections of anecdotes and other material without thorough fact-checking.

This is curious:

Right after the start of World War II, FIDE headquarters were transferred to Argentina. On September 13, 1939, Augusto de Muro (?-1959), president of the Argentine Chess Federation, was elected president of FIDE. (source: Chess Review, Oct 1939, p. 198 and Chess Review, Nov 1940, p. 174)
    FIDE's own site lists Alexander Rueb as continuously President from 1924-48. Moreover FIDE seems to have been inactive between 1939-46 (see http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/e...terregnum.html). However there are other references to de Muro as "FIDE President" (eg in Miguel A Sanchez' José Raúl Capablanca: A Chess Biography (2015), quoting from "The official magazine of the 1939 FIDE Congress"). I wonder what is going on here.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    This looks wrong:

The Latvian master Karlis Ozols was accused to have taken part in atrocities during World War II. After the war, he fled to Australia. He became Australian champion in 1958
    Ozols won his lone title from the 1956-7 Australian Championship tournament. Ozols and Lazare tied for the title and a match was started in February 1957, but abandoned after six games when Lazare left the country with the score at 3-3. Ozols and Lazare are now recorded as joint champions for 1957 (not 1958).

doing a search on Lazare come up with this amazing shocking history of Ozols

https://www.chess.com/article/view/bad-boys-ii

The article makes the point that Lazare was a Jew. He migrated to Israel.
    Last edited by antichrist; 18-11-2018 at 01:41 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    Many Germans and Latvians escaped prosecuting for war crimes by escaping to Australia. Ozols was just one of many unfortunately.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Many Germans and Latvians escaped prosecuting for war crimes by escaping to Australia. Ozols was just one of many unfortunately.
    My Ukrainian chess friends informed me how they were interned after the war, up to a few years I think, whilst they were checked out for war crimes before being able to migrate to Australia. From some of the attitudes of a few I think they slipped through the net, when they were drunk they let the veneer slip. The Latvians used to have their Catholic mass at Strathfield, Sydney - for some peculiar reason I attended with full participation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    This looks wrong:

Ozols won his lone title from the 1956-7 Australian Championship tournament. Ozols and Lazare tied for the title and a match was started in February 1957, but abandoned after six games when Lazare left the country with the score at 3-3. Ozols and Lazare are now recorded as joint champions for 1957 (not 1958).
    I wonder if Lazare, after migrating to Israel, lived sufficiently long enough and followed Oz news about Ozols - would have been a shock to the system.

Thread Information