Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Synergy Chess

CC Rookie

Double Chess

Hi everyone.
    I have created an innovative game of double Chess, called Synergy Chess. Using 2 complete sets of pieces each on a bigger board, Synergy Chess offers the challenge to checkmate 2 Kings to win. When the first King is in checkmate it comes off the board, and then you have to checkmate the second King to win. Please visit my website: www.synergychess.net, to view the game.
    This great Australian innovation needs your support. Last year I had some JCU students write the program, so players can play online. Unfortunately the program is not complete, and I need a professional to finish writing the program. I have started a crowd funding campaign to raise the funds to finish the program. Please visit www.ozcrowd.com, and search Synergy Chess to view my campaign. Your support will be greatly appreciated. Please tell others about this Aussie innovation. If you have any questions, or feedback, regarding Synergy Chess, I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for your support.
    Robert Olsson.

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    Hi
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

CC Rookie
    I disagree that if you are good at chess, this makes you very intelligent. Chess is like most other sports - it is a game. I agree that it is an intense game of strategy. I believe that If you dedicate enough effort to any sport long enough you will become good at it.

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Synergy Rob View Post
    I disagree that if you are good at chess, this makes you very intelligent. Chess is like most other sports - it is a game. I agree that it is an intense game of strategy. I believe that If you dedicate enough effort to any sport long enough you will become good at it.
    Or you can cheat.... and look up the answers in a chess book .... rofl
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Seems to me that games between strong players would go on for a very large number of moves and would be very difficult to win. In normal chess a large part of the winning strategy between strong players revolves around the fact that if a pawn is won for no compensation then this will usually result in a won endgame as if the defender exchanges remaining pieces then the resulting KP vs K ending will frequently be lost. But in this version, KKP vs KK will virtually always be drawn. Another issue is that many endgames that are draws in regular chess (KN vs K, KB vs K, KB and wrong colour rook square pawn vs K) are still draws even if you have an extra king and your opponent doesn't. Also in normal chess, sacrificing pieces to checkmate one king is another way to win, but in this variant if you sacrifice heavy pieces to checkmate one king then the likely result will be that the opponent's superior non-king forces (plus one king) then defeat or at least draw with your inferior non-king forces (plus two kings). After all nobody with a clue would start a normal game of chess with a second king in place of any of their other non-pawn pieces and I suspect even starting with a second king in place of a pawn would be a bad idea.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Seems to me that games between strong players would go on for a very large number of moves and would be very difficult to win. In normal chess a large part of the winning strategy between strong players revolves around the fact that if a pawn is won for no compensation then this will usually result in a won endgame as if the defender exchanges remaining pieces then the resulting KP vs K ending will frequently be lost. But in this version, KKP vs KK will virtually always be drawn. Another issue is that many endgames that are draws in regular chess (KN vs K, KB vs K, KB and wrong colour rook square pawn vs K) are still draws even if you have an extra king and your opponent doesn't. Also in normal chess, sacrificing pieces to checkmate one king is another way to win, but in this variant if you sacrifice heavy pieces to checkmate one king then the likely result will be that the opponent's superior non-king forces (plus one king) then defeat or at least draw with your inferior non-king forces (plus two kings). After all nobody with a clue would start a normal game of chess with a second king in place of any of their other non-pawn pieces and I suspect even starting with a second king in place of a pawn would be a bad idea.
    I'm sure the top players will be handing in their current books for the latest theory on this variant, considering I'm not a top player I like the idea of this variant, but maybe there are possible flaws as Kevin pointed out, possibly even more?
    Last edited by ThebeJohnston; 21-02-2016 at 02:43 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    For example, on lichess.org I suggested a Variant called "Secret Queen" where you lock in one of your pawns as a second queen before the game, a fun variant a lot of OTB juniors play, but some people pointed out some obvious flaws, one of them being an illegal move and the system not allowing an illegal move and thus the person's secret queen would be revealed by a process off elimination figuring out which pawn was blocking the king to make the move, I'm not too sure if my example makes such sense without playing the game.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Most chess variants that game developers come on here to try to promote are flawed compared to the real thing. I get the impression that most of the people developing these variants are not that familiar with the real game and what makes it tick at the level strong players play it at. These variants don't fail only because normal chess has an entrenched market advantage (teaching children to play a variant is useless if no-one else plays it); they also fail because they are mostly inferior.

CC Candidate Master
    I somewhat agree with this, at the recent MCC Blitz I attended, there was Justin Tan, Junta Ikeda Andrew Brown and I believe Eugene, can't remember the 4th person but they were all playing transfer in a corner of the room so obviously variants that can be strategic and played by strong players will influence everyone else but I also don't think it should really matter who plays it, lichess.org for example has now 10,000 players playing their variants at one stage
    Racing kings, 3 check, atomic, anti-chess, crazyhouse (bughouse), but they have very little titled players on there, I think the only strength that's relevant in discussing variants is strength in numbers.

CC Rookie
    Why not try it for yourself? Play some games, and then you will be in a better position to comment on if my game works. I am not saying you are wrong - I would love to get a professional opinion from serious players. I have only tried this on players that are not highly ranked. The chess clubs in Melbourne, Brisbane, and Townsville have a copy of this game. If there are any players ranked over 1800 that wants to try it, I really would appreciate some honest feedback. At the end of the day, I was just trying to make chess more exciting.

CC Candidate Master
    Like I said Rob, I dig the idea variants are always a cool way to spice up the game, will definitely check it out and hand out the link to some friends and will get back to you with feedback

CC Rookie
    Thank you, I appreciate your generosity.

CC Candidate Master
    Hi Synergy Rob,

Last year, someone brought along this Synergy Chess set and I had a couple of games. I found it was a pretty cool variant.

The rules were pretty well thought out and doubling the pieces (and kings!) makes mating combinations a more prevalent part of the game (similar in effect to Capablanca Chess).

The discussion between which game (chess vs Synergy chess) is superior is a little beside the point. If people only played the "best" game, we'd only have one sport, one card game, one board game, one quiz show - instead of thousands of games that people play. Chess variants will always be popular, even though they will never come close to being as appealing as the "real chess".

I'm not sure if I qualify as a "strong player" referred to above (FM, 2261 ACF, 2180 FIDE), but I would recommend this game. I was very glad to hear it was an Australian invention. Good luck Rob!!

Cheers,
    Dusan

CC Rookie
    Hi Dusan,
    Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it. That person was probably me. Where are you based? I have had a lot of comments from people saying things like "that won't work", or "chess is chess, and you can't make chess better". These comments come from people who have never tried Synergy Chess! I have had players tell me they don't want to go back to playing standard chess, because they now find it too limiting! Before people make negative comments they should try it first, and that's all I have to say about that. The hardest part was working out where the pieces needed to be for the game to work properly. That took a long time. We are currently working on the digital version, so people can play online. This will have features including (but not limited to) ranking system to match player compatibility, time limit (4 mins per move), with warning buzzer after 2 minutes, chat feature, find a player, offer draw/resign, offer rematch, and some other features I am sure players will like. We are hoping to launch by the end of this year - the program isn't finished yet, and there will need to be a lot of testing to make sure everything works properly. I was trying to push for a mid year release, but I don't think we'll get there in time. If you want a set for yourself, you can buy from the website: www.synergychess.net for only $39.95 (+$14.95 P&H).

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Synergy Rob View Post
    I have had players tell me they don't want to go back to playing standard chess, because they now find it too limiting!
    What are their names?

Thread Information