Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    Individual text choice hardly matters - and hasn't mattered for at least 20 years. What matters more, and is unwavering, is the mandated framework of analysis, and the mandated meta-narratives that inform it. Students these days are required to 'interrogate' texts as representations of class, gender, ethnicity and cultural identity. They are assessed on their ability at decoding these power relationships. Reading the book is an optional extra. They would first need to interrogate your question so they can 'expose' what your use of culturally determined notions of 'modernity', 'teenagers' and 'representations of self' reveal about your status as a privileged white male.
    You must have attended the came course as David Firegoat Beaumont (you are not moonlighting are you?)
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Sorry, I prefer reading anti-Semitic Kafka, Drug-addict Bulgakov, alcoholic Hemingway, Military general Sun Tzu...
    Don't you want to assimilate at least to some degree or at least to understand the psychology of all inhabitants of the nation.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    You must have attended the came course as David Firegoat Beaumont (you are not moonlighting are you?)
    What are you babbling about? (That was a rhetorical question.) I know who idledim is and he isn't firegoat, and nor is he coming from anything like the same perspective.

Run along now before I decide you're trying to cause cross-forum fights.

CC Grandmaster
    Don't you want to assimilate at least to some degree or at least to understand the psychology of all inhabitants of the nation.
    I do not need to assimilate ...I am comfortable as it is...contributing significantly to contemporary society as it is.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    I think if your reading list is based entirely on you political views...it tells me something about both your political views and level of education received

I think if your reading list is based entirely on you political views...it tells me something about both your political views and level of education received
    My reading list has diverted from the Australian pre-Whitlam, to SMH after Whitlam, to books on psychology and politics, environmentalism, nuclear science, philosophy, Chinese history, English history, chess, Schindler's Ark, Middle-Eastern history and politics - could be some I have forgotten. Haven't read a comic since about ten year sold, never bought a comic or Playboy my whole life. Freethought was a biggie I had forgotten - a box full of them.

CC Grandmaster
    My reading list has diverted from the Australian pre-Whitlam, to SMH after Whitlam, to books on psychology and politics, environmentalism, nuclear science, philosophy, Chinese history, English history, chess, Schindler's Ark, Middle-Eastern history and politics - could be some I have forgotten. Haven't read a comic since about ten year sold, never bought a comic or Playboy my whole life. Freethought was a biggie I had forgotten - a box full of them.
    Good to see, you are reading Chinese History books, I must say, I have soft spot for Chinese history, culture and philosophy.

Good to see, you are reading Chinese History books, I must say, I have soft spot for Chinese history, culture and philosophy.
    I formally studied Mandarin for one year and much longer informally after that as I left Sydney, I got paid back so much in return. I lived in China for a year attending many cultural events. BUT they insisted in coughing and blowing their nose during beautiful operas. I think I have read that their behaviour has been modified. I dressed in local gear and with the lingo could get away with being a Uyghur and so could enter many local shows that foreigners were not allowed to or were charged double. As well I could find good chess players everywhere.

CC Grandmaster
    I formally studied Mandarin for one year and much longer informally after that as I left Sydney, I got paid back so much in return. I lived in China for a year attending many cultural events. BUT they insisted in coughing and blowing their nose during beautiful operas. I think I have read that their behaviour has been modified. I dressed in local gear and with the lingo could get away with being a Uyghur and so could enter many local shows that foreigners were not allowed to or were charged double. As well I could find good chess players everywhere.
    I wonder what job you were doing in China..and what sort of people were you surrounded by that were 'blowing their nose loudly''...I think we know 2 Different Chinas...

I wonder what job you were doing in China..and what sort of people were you surrounded by that were 'blowing their nose loudly''...I think we know 2 Different Chinas...
    That was 40 years ago when millions were coughing up and spitting on the street at random it was shocking to look at, one would try not to look downwards. It has since being penalised but was legal then. The nose blowers and coughers were in the main Opera Halls in Beijing and Shanghai whilst absolutely beautiful music was being played. One work, hundreds of years old, had beautiful music that I had tapes of, no CDs etc in those days. I recently heard it on ABC Classic, wish I could remember the name. I stayed in Harbin for awhile - freeze the balls off a brass monkey that place. I imagine it was like Russia. I was wearing those fleece trousers that were about 3 inches thick. I always wanted to catch the Trans-Siberian Railway from Beijing to Moscow, USSR in those days but never got there. Wouldn't that make a great chess train journey.

In isolated areas I was the first "big nose" foreign ghost that has seen so the word go out and the streets would become crowded and impassable.
    Last edited by antichrist; 03-11-2018 at 06:07 AM.

According to Ross Cameron they have "risen" to this:
    "If you go to the Disneyland in Shanghai on any typical morning of the week you'll see 20,000 black-haired, slanty-eyed, yellow-skinned Chinese desperate to get into Disneyland."

CC Grandmaster
    According to Ross Cameron they have "risen" to this:
    "If you go to the Disneyland in Shanghai on any typical morning of the week you'll see 20,000 black-haired, slanty-eyed, yellow-skinned Chinese desperate to get into Disneyland."
    Yellow-skinned Chinese ..what a great description of the Nation....And of course...this is why their great nation is emerging so fast ...because all they do is trying to get into Disneyland...Sorry but your understanding of China is at ''working class level'' of understanding of the world!

Yellow-skinned Chinese ..what a great description of the Nation....And of course...this is why their great nation is emerging so fast ...because all they do is trying to get into Disneyland...Sorry but your understanding of China is at ''working class level'' of understanding of the world!
    You are telling that to Ross Cameron of course.

CC Grandmaster
    You are telling that to Ross Cameron of course.
    And to his readership....I suggest reading ''Art of War'' instead of Cameron's lovely writings

CC International Master
    And to his readership....I suggest reading ''Art of War'' instead of Cameron's lovely writings
    Ross Cameron is not a writer. He promotes himself as a Marcus Aurelius fanboy. He was employed as the co-host of The Outsiders on Sky News - but was sacked earlier this week for the on-air comments posted above.

Thread Information