View Poll Results: Pick the winner and the margin

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carlsen by four or more games - impossible

    0 0%
  • Carlsen by three games (7-4) - impossible

    0 0%
  • Carlsen by three games (6.5-3.5) - impossible

    0 0%
  • Carlsen by two games (7-5) - impossible

    3 20.00%
  • Carlsen by two games (6.5-4.5) - impossible

    3 20.00%
  • Carlsen by one game (6.5-5.5) - impossible

    3 20.00%
  • 6-6 tie, Carlsen wins playoff - CORRECT

    3 20.00%
  • 6-6 tie, Caruana wins playoff

    0 0%
  • Caruana by one game (6.5-5.5) - impossible

    2 13.33%
  • Caruana by two games (7-5) - impossible

    1 6.67%
  • Caruana by two games (6.5-4.5) - impossible

    0 0%
  • Caruana by three games (7-4) - impossible

    0 0%
  • Caruana by three games (6.5-3.5) - impossible

    0 0%
  • Caruana by four or more games - impossible

    0 0%
  • Match does not happen or not completed for whatever reason

    0 0%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 160
  1. #46
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,468
    Game 5 started out wild but it didn't go anywhere.

    Now Carlsen gets two whites in a row.

    PGN Viewer
     

  2. #47
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Ian Rogers @GMIanRogers
    Sadly parting ways with @ChessLifeOnline after a decade. I declined to accept edits to my round 4 World Ch'p report which would downplay responsibility of editors of the Caruana video, downplay the effect of the video on Caruana's chances, and omit the key image from the video.
    His resignation has made it into 538 - although they don't name him:
    Game 5 of the World Chess Championship began under a cloud. Not a literal cloud, though there were those in London, too. Rather it was the lingering hubbub of a published and deleted video. Since that video was released, a prominent chess writer resigned and, oddly, the event’s organizing body announced that it had hired a security firm that was ready to sweep for illicit electronic devices and deploy polygraphs on the players if necessary. Was the latter related to the video? To some other bit of intrigue yet to fully emerge? Or just because chess’s governing body is, how do you say, filled with plenty of intrigue of its own?

  3. #48
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,305
    Re: That scandalous video: Russian chess site chess-news quoted Olimpiu Urkan thatit could be a hoax.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  4. #49
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,305
    Game 6 draw - boring chess continues. Carlsen exchanged on e5 against Petfroff.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  5. #50
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,468
    Carlsen - Caruana.

    PGN Viewer
     

    This flared up to punish me for going to bed after an hour and a half, in the end it wasn't boring at all. Computers have 68...Bh4 winning for black, but the lines are extremely complex.

  6. #51
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Carlsen - Caruana.

    [/pgn]

    This flared up to punish me for going to bed after an hour and a half, in the end it wasn't boring at all. Computers have 68...Bh4 winning for black, but the lines are extremely complex.
    I did not analyze the endgame myself but reading the comments now...apparently 68.Bh4 was still a draw somehow.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  7. #52
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,468
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I did not analyze the endgame myself but reading the comments now...apparently 68.Bh4 was still a draw somehow.
    I'm trying to find detailed comments on that. Some computers were showing -150, the question being whether there is anything that could cause them to be wrong.

  8. #53
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I'm trying to find detailed comments on that. Some computers were showing -150, the question being whether there is anything that could cause them to be wrong.
    https://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2018...aruana_Fabiano ChessBomb after move 68 is limited to -1.42 but obviously their software/hardware is not strongest.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  9. #54
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,468
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    https://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2018...aruana_Fabiano ChessBomb after move 68 is limited to -1.42 but obviously their software/hardware is not strongest.
    I've been running through some of the lines on Fritz 16, which also doesn't pick it as a forced win right away. Fritz 16 is however enabled with a function that shows what other computers around the world are finding, so you can follow the lines that someone has found as a win on their Stockfish 9 or whatever. After running for a while Fritz 16's evaluation of ...Bh4 has gone from -1.8 to -3.8 (which does not prove a win in the endgame by itself but other computers are soon showing -7 or -8 whatever moves I try).

    As best I understand the idea it is that black gets his knight to g3 so that white has to either play Bg4 or h6 or lose a pawn. If Bg4 once white plays Kh7 black can play Kf7 and then shuffle the bishop around until white has to either play h6 or allow mate. If white does play h6 in any line then black can eventually win the h-pawn, after which the win is fairly easy.

    Also there are comments that computers found mates in 30 around the key point.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 17-11-2018 at 11:53 AM.

  10. #55
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,468
    Real shame this match is only 12 classical games long. Means the winner will basically be the lucky one if it is decided in classical, or else it goes to tiebreak.

  11. #56
    CC FIDE Master Metro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Real shame this match is only 12 classical games long. Means the winner will basically be the lucky one if it is decided in classical, or else it goes to tiebreak.
    I have had the view for some time that it is not enough.I say try 16.

  12. #57
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,468
    The supercomputer that was posting mate in 30 is at http://analysis.sesse.net/ . It is running Stockfish, so this explains why some sites say Sesse found a mate and some sites say Stockfish did.

  13. #58
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    I have had the view for some time that it is not enough.I say try 16.
    I agree with you.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  14. #59
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,356
    At this level, forget about trying to draw with K v KBN.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  15. #60
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,468
    Ian Rogers' services have been quickly picked up by lichess (see his round 6 report https://lichess.org/blog/W--M6hAAACw...s-on-in-game-6). It sounds like his voice in the press conference telling Carlsen he was right not to believe in fortresses because there was mate in 30, but I don't know for sure.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FIDE Womens World Champs knockout Tehran 10/2-5/3
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 05-03-2017, 08:36 PM
  2. FIDE World Rapid Champs
    By ER in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 30-12-2016, 06:05 PM
  3. FIDE World Champs Carlsen vs Karjakin, New York, 11-30 Nov 2016 [POLL ADDED]
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 242
    Last Post: 17-12-2016, 02:12 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15-10-2014, 11:07 PM
  5. FIDE to contract out future world champs (after Mexico?)
    By Kevin Bonham in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-12-2006, 08:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •