Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    ... Dr Dowden also had a good score, undefeated despite playing IM McClymont.
    Thanks CF,

It's nice to still have one or two fans! I was pleased with my score as I hadn't played for several months - and rust never sleeps, especially as one inexorably gets closer to 60 years old! Brodie's ...e5-e4 pawn push was based on an hallucination - he thought his light-squared bishop was still on e6, thus if I play dxe4 he can play ... Bxc4. I thought the extra pawn wasn't that much and an IM should hold - plus it was the third game of the day - so I chickened out and offered him draw which he duly accepted. My other games were OK but I was lucky against recent Sri Lankan arrival KWCU ('Charita') Silva, who built up a winning attack but didn't play it correctly. I wasted too much time (e.g. ...Re8?!) and really must learn more about appropriate play by both sides in IQP positions! I also spoilt a crushing position against Aaron Downey with Bxe7? but won anyway.

BTW, I much prefer 'Tony' to 'Dr'.

Cheers
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden View Post
    Thanks CF,

It's nice to still have one or two fans! I was pleased with my score as I hadn't played for several months - and rust never sleeps, especially as one inexorably gets closer to 60 years old! Brodie's ...e5-e4 pawn push was based on an hallucination - he thought his light-squared bishop was still on e6, thus if I play dxe4 he can play ... Bxc4. I thought the extra pawn wasn't that much and an IM should hold - plus it was the third game of the day - so I chickened out and offered him draw which he duly accepted. My other games were OK but I was lucky against recent Sri Lankan arrival KWCU ('Charita') Silva, who built up a winning attack but didn't play it correctly. I wasted too much time (e.g. ...Re8?!) and really must learn more about appropriate play by both sides in IQP positions! I also spoilt a crushing position against Aaron Downey with Bxe7? but won anyway.

BTW, I much prefer 'Tony' to 'Dr'.

Cheers
    OK, Tony

The games are on this link, and they clearly have the colours reversed on your first round game with Downey. He was one of my Logan clubmates. He seems to have improved a lot—didn't play like his 1018 rating—but not good enough to match you, clearly, especially once it reached the R endgame. I can't see what you mean by Bxe7 though.

It certainly looked like you were offering Brodie a draw from a position of strength, and he can't have forgotten losing another English to you a while back.

Silva played well—quite refreshing to see someone play the exchange French not intending to make a tame draw but seeking to unbalance with an IQP. I think he should not have played 14. Nxd5, since that is a move he could most likely play any time he wanted. 19... g6 looks dangerous, and might have been fatal if White had played 23. Qh3 attacking the N. As it was, you could plunder a P then move the Q to a strong square on h4 where it both attacks and defends—the computer likes your play here.

Well played in the last round: I think his main mistake was 21... Bxd5: although the N was centralized and the B was limited in scope, it was the piece holding that flank together. Very efficient refutation, swinging rightwards into the centre and powering through.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 03-11-2018 at 04:28 AM.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    OK, Tony

The games are on this link, and they clearly have the colours reversed on your first round game with Downey. He was one of my Logan clubmates. He seems to have improved a lot—didn't play like his 1018 rating—but not good enough to match you, clearly, especially once it reached the R endgame. I can't see what you mean by Bxe7 though.
    The broadcast of Dowden-Downey is actually somehow the game Nakauchi-Lam from round 9 of the Queensland Championship.
    Last edited by Tom M; 05-11-2018 at 09:27 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    The broadcast of Dowden-Downey is actually somehow the game Nakauchi-Lam from round 9 of the Queensland Championship.
    There were definitely a few problems with the DGT boards ...

Thread Information