Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ACF Website

Quote Originally Posted by pappubahry View Post
    The links on the ratings page are a bit wonky. The 'jun' should be replaced by 'sep' (the href's are fine, it's just the displayed text that's wrong), and the links for master and active files each point to the other one.
    I have made the necessary corrections.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Narelle View Post
    I noticed on the ACF website that Darryl Johansen is the team captain for both the women's team and the men's team. I was under the impression that Ian Rogers was captain of the women's team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    Ian is the captain of the women’s team.
    Thanks for letting me know - all fixed now. I just did a copy-paste of the table and must have forgotten to change the coach for the womens team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    I have made the necessary corrections.
    Thanks.
    ACF Webmaster - auschess.org.au Contact: webmaster@auschess.org.au

Ratings lookup: sachess.org.au/ratings (Not official, but based on the latest ACF rating lists - and it has graphs!)

CC Rookie
    Thanks for revamping the website - it looks so much better.

I think that there is an error in the Events Calendar. The Primary and Secondary Schools Teams Championship (which I'm guessing is the Australian Schools Teams Championships) is listed as being held on 8-9 December, but the host state (SA) has the date as 1st - 2nd December: http://sajuniorchess.org/2018-austra...championships/

Could you please amend the date as it is creating some confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by kwoodley View Post
    Thanks for revamping the website - it looks so much better.

I think that there is an error in the Events Calendar. The Primary and Secondary Schools Teams Championship (which I'm guessing is the Australian Schools Teams Championships) is listed as being held on 8-9 December, but the host state (SA) has the date as 1st - 2nd December: http://sajuniorchess.org/2018-austra...championships/

Could you please amend the date as it is creating some confusion.
    Thanks for letting me know. Just to be sure I've sent Alan Goldsmith an email to confirm the dates, and we'll amend the details on whichever site is incorrect.

Ratings lookup: sachess.org.au/ratings (Not official, but based on the latest ACF rating lists - and it has graphs!)

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasdav View Post
    The revamped ACF website is now live (at the same address as before - auschess.org.au).

Any other comments or questions about the site are welcome.
    The standings section in the Grand Prix is blank, which is pretty odd nearing November.

There is no information for a person new to chess; someone to the ACF site for guidance. If they are lucky and wade through the list of ACF office-bearers, they might notice the links to State associations at the bottom of a page.

Unlike, say, the ECF site, there is no information provided, let alone tabs for, women's chess or junior chess. Yet By-Laws, of limited interest, have their own tab.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Rogers View Post
    If they are lucky and wade through the list of ACF office-bearers, they might notice the links to State associations at the bottom of a page.
    Or the link to each State right below Current Events and the Aussie Chess Champions, which doesn't involve scrolling down the bottom

Unlike, say, the ECF site, there is no information provided, let alone tabs for, women's chess or junior chess. Yet By-Laws, of limited interest, have their own tab.
    There is one for juniors (Next to the state links). Information (or lack of currently) is based on what the states give them. Women's chess hopefully can get more attention.
    "Such is life."

-(supposedly) Ned Kelly

The standings section in the Grand Prix is blank, which is pretty odd nearing November.
    The information was copied from the old site, for which that section was also blank. If I'm provided with the information I'll happily update it, but as I noted earlier I'm not taking it upon myself to chase people down for content. The GP page is also a bit of a mess in terms of layout and I'll hopefully be able to rectify that before the 2019 GP starts, but that's a separate issue.

There is no information for a person new to chess; someone to the ACF site for guidance. If they are lucky and wade through the list of ACF office-bearers, they might notice the links to State associations at the bottom of a page.

Unlike, say, the ECF site, there is no information provided, let alone tabs for, women's chess or junior chess.
    Much the same point as before - if someone is prepared to generate that content and has an idea for how to incorporate it into the site I'm very willing to listen. As for the visibility of content, after meeting with Gary and discussing the requirements for the website it was decided to mostly follow the structure of the old one in terms of how things are laid out. I agree that the omission of news for Women's chess is unfortunate, but I am open to adding a news section (or whatever other features would help) if it's not going to be neglected and I'm 100% sure that the ACF would support this.

Yet By-Laws, of limited interest, have their own tab.
    By-laws may be 'of limited interest' to most visitors, but they're also among the few things that are actually critical to have on the site. We could quite easily do without news, a list of upcoming events, honour boards and the like if we had to because the information is already out there for anyone dedicated enough to find it. Details like the constitution, by-laws, rating lists and committee/delegate contact details however are something that cannot be accurately provided by anyone but the ACF and so are given 'prime real estate' on the page. This is a relatively common convention in web design.

Quote Originally Posted by JTee View Post
    Information (or lack of currently) is based on what the states give them. Women's chess hopefully can get more attention.
    This is correct, and I should note that I've not yet received a single news item or details about 2019 events since the site went live - hence the lack of content updates.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasdav View Post

By-laws may be 'of limited interest' to most visitors, but they're also among the few things that are actually critical to have on the site. We could quite easily do without news, a list of upcoming events, honour boards and the like if we had to because the information is already out there for anyone dedicated enough to find it. Details like the constitution, by-laws, rating lists and committee/delegate contact details however are something that cannot be accurately provided by anyone but the ACF and so are given 'prime real estate' on the page. This is a relatively common convention in web design.
    I think you have got the wrong end of the stick here. Technical details like by-laws, the constitution, office-bearers, etc would normally be hidden in the About or Contacts tabs. An organisation seriously trying to promote chess (as it says on the front page) would have Upcoming Events and News as the most prominent tabs on the page.
    In any case, the omissions I was pointing out were simply showing that a revamp of the web site cannot cover up for the content deficiencies of the site, which may be the first port of call for someone wanting to find out about organised chess in Australia. Why hold the Grand Prix when no one knows who is winning? (It may well be this neglect by the ACF which has helped ensure that the GP - once a competition which tournament were proud to join and say benefits from doing so - is now dying.)

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I think you have got the wrong end of the stick here. Technical details like by-laws, the constitution, office-bearers, etc would normally be hidden in the About or Contacts tabs.
    Past experience suggests it is better to always err on the side of over-visibility when it comes to the By-Laws. If something is on a side-tab it is always possible some organiser will not think to look for it there and will implement something incorrect off their own bat or as a result of finding outdated versions via Google search or some other method.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Past experience suggests it is better to always err on the side of over-visibility when it comes to the By-Laws. If something is on a side-tab it is always possible some organiser will not think to look for it there and will implement something incorrect off their own bat or as a result of finding outdated versions via Google search or some other method.
    It is a question of priorities. You are wanting to aid one or two organisers unable to find a tab as opposed to hundreds or thousands of people new to chess trying to find useful information from the web site of the organisation that claims to have as its mission promoting chess in Australia.

It is a question of priorities. You are wanting to aid one or two organisers unable to find a tab as opposed to hundreds or thousands of people new to chess trying to find useful information from the web site of the organisation that claims to have as its mission promoting chess in Australia.
    If it's a question of priorities then moving a link to another section is not a priority especially when that action has the potential to cause harm. The English Chess Federation website has far more links than ours so there is clearly room to add content in different areas if/when it is written without removing the By-Laws link.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    If it's a question of priorities then moving a link to another section is not a priority especially when that action has the potential to cause harm. The English Chess Federation website has far more links than ours so there is clearly room to add content in different areas if/when it is written without removing the By-Laws link.
    The priority should be to include more relevant content and place it prominently on the web site, so your if/when comment does not inspire confidence.

Why hold the Grand Prix when no one knows who is winning? (It may well be this neglect by the ACF which has helped ensure that the GP - once a competition which tournament were proud to join and say benefits from doing so - is now dying.)
    The issue here as I understand it is updates not coming through from the GP Director, who wanted to resign at the start of the year but no-one suitable has as yet come forward to take over despite the position being advertised. It is not a website issue as such. If anyone wants to discuss it further the current GP thread is here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....ACF-Grand-Prix
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 27-10-2018 at 05:04 PM.

I'll be sending out an email to state delegates shortly, but a general reminder that the ACF website currently only has events for the 2018 calendar year entered, and these are fast running out - to date I have only received 2 events for 2019.

Organizers who wish to have an event added can do so by using the form here.

Also information about the 2019 ACF GP will hopefully be available on the site soon.
    Last edited by thomasdav; 04-12-2018 at 01:52 AM.

I thought I'd mention that I've had to move the ratings page on the ACF website has been moved to [URL="http://auschess.org.au/rating-lists/"]auschess.org.au/rating-lists[URL] (from /ratings).

This won't affect Bill's uploading the files or most visitors at all, but if you have a bookmark to the page and it isn't working that's probably why.

Thread Information