Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACF Website

ACF Website

The revamped ACF website is now live (at the same address as before - auschess.org.au).

In transferring the site from the temporary server I was using I may have overlooked something, so if anybody notices anything not working or generally acting strangely please let me know here or by emailing webmaster@auschess.org.au and I'll try to get it fixed ASAP.

A few things to note about the new site:
    • The site is intentionally rather minimal, Rather than adding too many bells and whistles that may cause problems as future webmasters with varying levels of ability attempt to maintain them. Apologies to anyone who was hoping for anything flashier.
    • There is now a listing of upcoming events that can be viewed as a list or as a calendar, and all events until the end of the 2018 calendar year have been added. Information on how to have events added to the calendar can be read here. This listing is also not intended to provide every detail about any given event, but rather to provide an overview and a link to further information and as a matter of principle the ACF website will not host links to online entry/payment forms or details that are liable to change before an event starts (e.g. round times, prize breakdowns, etc.).
    • The listing of past ACF Newsletters is currently incomplete. All of these have been backed up, but it's a tedious job to add them in one by one so I'll be doing that gradually over time.
    • The ability to watch live games is not yet implemented, as I haven't yet been able to get my hands on the DGT boards. I am also not sure exactly what form any new game display will take, as I've heard that the software provided by DGT for this purpose is not exactly easy to set up and maintain.
    • News articles will be added to the site periodically and will appear on the front page as well as under each of the state category headings. In general, as webmaster I do not intend to be writing content for this part of the site myself. State associations will shortly be sent an email encouraging them to send me complete articles and I'll happily cut-and-paste them over, but if you state's category appears empty please complain to them rather than myself.

Any other comments or questions about the site are welcome.
    Last edited by thomasdav; 02-10-2018 at 02:59 AM.
    ACF Webmaster. Contact: webmaster@auschess.org.au

Ratings lookup: sachess.org.au/ratings (Not official, but based on ACF rating lists - and it has graphs!)
    ACF Website: auschess.org.au

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasdav View Post
    The revamped ACF website is now live (at the same address as before - auschess.org.au).

In transferring the site from the temporary server I was using I may have overlooked something, so if anybody notices anything not working or generally acting strangely please let me know here or by emailing webmaster@auschess.org.au and I'll try to get it fixed ASAP.

A few things to note about the new site:
    • The site is intentionally rather minimal, Rather than adding too many bells and whistles that may cause problems as future webmasters with varying levels of ability attempt to maintain them. Apologies to anyone who was hoping for anything flashier.
    • There is now a listing of upcoming events that can be viewed as a list or as a calendar, and all events until the end of the 2018 calendar year have been added. Information on how to have events added to the calendar can be read here. This listing is also not intended to provide every detail about any given event, but rather to provide an overview and a link to further information and as a matter of principle the ACF website will not host links to online entry/payment forms or details that are liable to change before an event starts (e.g. round times, prize breakdowns, etc.).
    • The listing of past ACF Newsletters is currently incomplete. All of these have been backed up, but it's a tedious job to add them in one by one so I'll be doing that gradually over time.
    • The ability to watch live games is not yet implemented, as I haven't yet been able to get my hands on the DGT boards. I am also not sure exactly what form any new game display will take, as I've heard that the software provided by DGT for this purpose is not exactly easy to set up and maintain.
    • News articles will be added to the site periodically and will appear on the front page as well as under each of the state category headings. In general, as webmaster I do not intend to be writing content for this part of the site myself. State associations will shortly be sent an email encouraging them to send me complete articles and I'll happily cut-and-paste them over, but if you state's category appears empty please complain to them rather than myself.

A labour of Hercules which will bring much happiness! A useful tool embodied in a clear design.
    Last edited by Frank; 02-10-2018 at 04:58 AM.

Looks good!
    meep meep

Congrats, the old site reminded me of the Kremlin - so dull and dark. And what better time when our boys are working miracles oversea in Olympiad. I recently read how chess develops the brain and aids in thinking so we are actually doing the national and planet a service by assisting in chess's development and spreading. I was about to say Onward Christian Soldiers when I remembered that the Muslims spread chess to the West - but that's another story.

Fantastic anyway.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Grandmaster
    Looks like a move in the right direction!

P.S.
    I think there is a small error to be fixed:http://auschess.org.au/about/
    lists 2 National Rating Officers for ACF (Gletsos & Saint), my guess is that one of them needs to have their ''Job Title'' changed.

Anyway, now its up to ACF/chess community to build up content for the site.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Looks like a move in the right direction!

P.S.
    I think there is a small error to be fixed:http://auschess.org.au/about/
    lists 2 National Rating Officers for ACF (Gletsos & Saint), my guess is that one of them needs to have their ''Job Title'' changed.
    No one needs their "Job Title" changed.
    This shows how observant you have been over the years if you just noticed this now.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

CC International Master
    Great work, Dave!
    Grandmaster, FIDE Trainer, 2018-19 Australian Champion

Do you love your chess as much as I do?

What is your chess dream?

Are you willing to do what it takes?

Everyone who is an expert at something now...learned from another expert.

Share your chess journey with me illingworthchess@gmail.com and Ill give you my 7-Page Basic Chess Training Plan, to direct your chess training and improvement.

This is great news, Dave. Many thanks from us all.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC FIDE Master
    The new ACF Website looks fantastic! Great to see the current Olympiad covered round by round so well and even The 2018 Queensland Chess Championship winner Dusan Stojic is there and that Tournament only finished on Monday night October 1! You can replay games from the 2018 Queensland Chess Championship by the way at http://livechess.aunz.net/QC-2018/

CC Candidate Master
    [*]The ability to watch live games is not yet implemented, as I haven't yet been able to get my hands on the DGT boards. I am also not sure exactly what form any new game display will take, as I've heard that the software provided by DGT for this purpose is not exactly easy to set up and maintain.
    Some ways to post game replays -

The DGT software can display games by using ePGNs and editing a JSON file to link them together - I have not seen any exception in the DGT livechess 2.23 T and C saying that a user is prohibited from editing the JSON files.

Several good chess replayer plugins for WordPress. We use "Embed Chessboard"

We re-wrote some open source replayer code which I am more than happy to share.

Regards - David E

Quote Originally Posted by iSage View Post
    Some ways to post game replays -

The DGT software can display games by using ePGNs and editing a JSON file to link them together - I have not seen any exception in the DGT livechess 2.23 T and C saying that a user is prohibited from editing the JSON files.

Several good chess replayer plugins for WordPress. We use "Embed Chessboard"

We re-wrote some open source replayer code which I am more than happy to share.

Regards - David E
    Thanks for that, Dave - I won't have access to some board to play around with until the end of the year regardless, but I'll definitely keep this in mind.
    ACF Webmaster. Contact: webmaster@auschess.org.au

Ratings lookup: sachess.org.au/ratings (Not official, but based on ACF rating lists - and it has graphs!)
    ACF Website: auschess.org.au

CC Candidate Master
    The links on the ratings page are a bit wonky. The 'jun' should be replaced by 'sep' (the href's are fine, it's just the displayed text that's wrong), and the links for master and active files each point to the other one.

CC Candidate Master
    Thanks for that, Dave - I won't have access to some board to play around with until the end of the year regardless, but I'll definitely keep this in mind.
    You do not need a DGT board to create/use the DGT player - just install the livechess v2.2.3 software and create, then view a tournament - add ePGNs and edit the .json file to link the games in.

CC Candidate Master
    I noticed on the ACF website that Darryl Johansen is the team captain for both the women's team and the men's team. I was under the impression that Ian Rogers was captain of the women's team.

Quote Originally Posted by Narelle View Post
    I noticed on the ACF website that Darryl Johansen is the team captain for both the women's team and the men's team. I was under the impression that Ian Rogers was captain of the women's team.
    Ian is the captain of the women’s team.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Thread Information